Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

CountDuckula
Beginner August 2009

Can anyone recommend an employment lawyer please?

CountDuckula, 7 of April of 2009 at 09:36 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

Things have turned nasty since this:
https://www.hitched.co.uk/Chat/forums/t/102554.aspx?PageIndex=1

They've still not been forthcoming in giving my OH any confirmation of what his pay off will be and now he's queried it, his boss has told him he's getting nothing because he was going to sack him anyway. He claims to have given him a letter stating this which is bullshit. Looks like we have no choice but to get legal advice now. Can anyone recommend someone please because neither of us have a clue where to start. Thanks.

8 replies

Latest activity by GooseyGooseGoose, 8 of December of 2020 at 14:42
  • A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know whereabouts you are in the country, but we used https://www.simpsonmillar.co.uk/ for my H's recent redundancy battle.

They will give you a free telephone consultation first.

Good luck!

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Alison, I was hoping you would reply as I know you've had a similar problem. We're in Surrey so they look perfect. How do they take their fees, is it out of any settlement or is it up front? OH is worrying that we don't have the money to pay for something like this.

• cherry_bomb
    Beginner
    cherry_bomb ·
    • Hide content

Hi Count Duckula,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I work in HR and the lawyers we dread hearing from after a redundancy/dismissal are Russell Jones & Walker. Not sure how their fees work but they are very good, aggressive lawyers who get good deals for their clients. Have you looked into whether you're eligible for legal aid?

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I'll have a look at them as well. I haven't looked at legal aid but at a guess I wouldn't think we'd be eligible. I'll have a look though.

• A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

Also - have you checked your home contents insurance policy?

Ours included legal cover for employment disputes - but you have to use the legal team appointed by your insurance company. Might be worth a look.

CD - we used the Wimbledon office and I can recommend Jacqui Parker there - she was very good with us. Try their helpline first - we got a good length telephone consultation and then had an initial meeting with Jacqui for free.

We actually didn't have to pay fees as by the time we had to get legal people involved, H's company were already offering compromise agreements, and these always include an allowance for legal costs as you have to get it checked out by a legal professional.

You can either submit your query through their website and they'll call you back - that's what we did and it was the Leeds office who called and who then passed me to the Wimbledon office. Or just ring the number and they call you back.

Good luck.

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Alison. I'll get him to check the insurance as well.

Gah, I just knew this was going to turn out like this. The guy is a grade A knob as well. He's already had an unfair dismissal case against him and spent months ignoring the paperwork and not bothering to turn up to the hearings. This could take ages to sort out.

Beginner June 2001
    *LJ ·
    • Hide content

I am in Surrey too and used Cripps Harries Hall in Tunbridge ****.

It's not cheap and I had to pay up front.

I probably ended up about £22k better off. My company (a big Travel co) made me redundant whilst I was pregnant, had to reinstate me and do it all properly keeping me until the end of maternity leave etc.

Read up on all your rights and try CAB and ACAS as well for help and advice.

Good luck

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

Thanks *LJ. Upfront fees isn't good but I'm presuming they don't take the case unless they think they can win?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics