Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner March 2009

Best Man suit - who pays?

the future mrs h, 28 of January of 2009 at 15:29 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hi

My H2B is BM for a friend's wedding and has just been told (a year after being asked to be BM) that he has to pay half (£50) towards his suit. The bride and groom implied that they're doing him a favour 'helping him out' by paying for the other half.

Just wondered what other people's thoughts are on this?

27 replies

Latest activity by cat26, 28 of January of 2009 at 22:49
  • M
    Beginner March 2009
    Mrs Bloom ·
    • Hide content

I think that's a bit cheeky to be honest! I take it they are buying the suits then?

• M
    Beginner March 2009
    Mrs Bloom ·
    • Hide content

I mean, buying, rather than hiring them?

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

We're paying for our Best Man's suit. Certainly wouldn't expect him to fork out. Also he can wear it again and think of the wedding (we're having normal suits rather than morning dress.)

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

We're hiring our suits and are paying for everyone because a) we want them to match and b) we don't feel we can ask someone to do us a favour and be a best man/usher and then ask them to foot the bill for it.

• T
    Beginner March 2009
    the future mrs h ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope - it's for the hire...

• M
    Beginner August 2009
    MrsK ·
    • Hide content

I'd be shocked at this tbh. No way would I expect my best man or bridesmaids to pay for their wedding clobber!

• French-Fancy
    Beginner September 2008
    French-Fancy ·
    • Hide content

We hired and paid for all the bridal party men's kilts, including best man, ushers, mini-usher, father of groom and father of bride.

hth

• T
    Beginner March 2009
    the future mrs h ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm BM too and have to pay half (another £50) for my dress, but at least I get something to keep (or stick on ebay!)

• boogiebelle
    Beginner August 2009
    boogiebelle ·
    • Hide content

We are having 7 people in hired suits - groom, bm, 3 ushers and 2 dads. The Dads are going to pay for their own (their choice) but we will be paying for everyone elses. As others have said, just feel it's a bit rude asking someone to do you a favour and then them having to pay.

• I
    Beginner May 2009
    Isabel.McKee ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I am getting married in May and would not dream of asking the bestman to pay or contribute to the purchase/hire of his suit. Are the bridesmaids being asked to contribute to the cost of their dresses?

• jen52637
    Beginner
    jen52637 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I just assumed that we would have to pay for the Best Man and Ushers' kilt hire but then MIL2B said that that was their responsibility. She said that they'd probably have to hire a kilt for the wedding anyway, whether they were best man or not.

I don't like disagreeing with her, she's a very scary woman! ?

• T
    Beginner March 2009
    the future mrs h ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes (I am one)

I was a bit miffed, as their justification was 'we want everyone to be matching, but we can't afford it, so thought we'd help out towards the cost by paying half'

Well me and H2B would love to have everyone matching, but we can't afford it so we're not doing it!!

• xxxsnowbunnyxxx
    Beginner
    xxxsnowbunnyxxx ·
    • Hide content

I think it's cheeky, you can't ask someone to be in the bridal party and expect them to pay for it.

I am paying for all the suits and the BM's dresses (and everything that goes with being a BM)

• memedoaky
    Beginner September 2008
    memedoaky ·
    • Hide content

I personally think its a bit rude tbh.

Why ask someone to do some thing like that then tell themthey need to pay.

We hired kilts & accessories for 2 bm, 1 usher, 1 pb and the 2 dad's. H bought his.

In my opinion if you want these people to do these roles on your day then you should provide them with the outfit, if I was your H I'd tell the bride & groom that I'll pay for it, but I pick it since its my money.

Asking him to pay half which stands at £50 is a bit excessive, H my H is best man in a couple of weeks and his suit hire has cost his bro £30!!

• R
    Beginner August 2009
    Royalty ·
    • Hide content

We are hiring our suits for all 12 people included in the bridal party.

TBH i wouldn't dream of asking someone to be in the party, tell them what to wear then ask them to pay anything towards it!

• jen52637
    Beginner
    jen52637 ·
    • Hide content

I've been checking this out online and if you google 'best man suits, who pays?' then you'll get loads of sites popping up. All of these seem to suggest that it is actually the best man's responsibility to hire his own suit.

I'd have thought otherwise but that does seem to be the norm.

• *Little_Jen*
    Beginner July 2009
    *Little_Jen* ·
    • Hide content

I think its awful that they expect you to pay half, I wouldnt dream of asking my bridal party to pay half of the cost. Its their wedding they should pay for it!

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a bit rude, we're looking into this at the moment too, we have thought about either buying cheap suits, or asking them to wear a suit they already own, and we buy shirt and ties to match things up. It's crazy expensive to hire suits, i'd rather buy a cheap ish one and keep it... How often do you wear a suit!! x

• memedoaky
    Beginner September 2008
    memedoaky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can get lovely suits in Asda/Tesco for around £20 for both the trousers and jackets.

Jen - I've never heard of asking you're attendants to hire/pay for their own!! At the end of the day they are *you're* attendants IMO if brides/grooms start asking their attendants to part with their hard earned cash for an outfit they've had no say in then it open up a whole can of worms with them then going on to dicatate how/what their money is spent on.

*I don't mean you personally here, but I think you get what I mean.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Pfffft we arent paying for our best mans outfit. (He's a tightwad as it is!, LOL) OH has said that he'll pay for their pre-wedding hotel rooms if the BM pays for his outfit. And thats what he's done.

• memedoaky
    Beginner September 2008
    memedoaky ·
    • Hide content

I did a quick google search and found this in relation to tradtionally who pays for what for the wedding.

Its quite interesting reading -

https://www.msn.com/

You'll need to scroll down half way to read the table!

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

All our groomsmen all paid half towards their suits but that was because they all decided they saw a really nice suit in Selfridges and they wanted it to keep (not hire) so they paid the difference.

• jen52637
    Beginner
    jen52637 ·
    • Hide content

On the other hand, I found this: http://www.theweddingshop.com.au/welcome/page55.php

I guess if you are deciding what they wear then you can't really ask them to pay for it. But if you are letting them choose their outfit then I don't think it's totally unreasonable for them to pay (but only if they can afford it and are happy with the arrangement) for the hire!

• milna
    Beginner May 2009
    milna ·
    • Hide content

I just dont think its fair to tell somebody that they have to wear a particular thing (at your request!) and then expect them to pay for it! Wedding etiquette aside, its just damn rude!

I think the answre for this is for the best man to get back to the groom and say

'I'm sorry, but I cannot afford to pay £50 for the suit - can we talk about alternative options?".

If the groom offers to pay in full, alls good.

If the groom says "Well I cant afford to pay for it all" then the Best mans response is "Ok then - lets rethink the suit thing so that it works for both our budgets" and suggests any of the following situations which he is happy with:

-Wearing a suit he already owns

-Hiring a cheaper suit which best man can afford/justify/is prepared to pay for half of

-Buying a suit and paying for half each, which best man gets to keep (best man may feel this is a better deal for him - he still has to pay for half a suit he doesn't really need - but at least he has a suit to wear again or sell).

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Wow, im really the odd one out then.............still, its kilt hire he can afford!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

We are paying for the hire of our best man's suit. After all, we want him to be part of the day.

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

I think it is tradition for the best-man to pay for his own suit. However I would imagine that if you have asked the best man to wear a specific suit then you should either pay for it.

But .. I do find these threads a little strange ... If you are someones best-man you are either a good friend or relative. If the groom cannot afford to pay for the suit and neither can the bestman, they should really talk to each other and come to an arrangement.

Marc

• cat26
    Beginner June 2009
    cat26 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others, and to tell you the truth I am quite shocked they could be that rude.

The BM does more on the wedding day than the CBM I think and we are hiring 4 suits for Groom, 2 dads and BM and I wouldn't dream of asking any of them to pay. They're all doing there bit, I want them to dress a certain way on our day - so I should pay.

Tell them to pi** off - sorry feel really strongly about this. Cat

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics