Asking for contributions towards honeymoon

Jayne E
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous123Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 15 Apr 2012 12:37

Re: Asking for contributions towards honeymoon

We went for the non-poem approach too.

I adapted some wording my friend had used for his invites (did ask him first!):

Your presence at our special day will be a fantastic gift by itself.

As we have all we need for our home, we have decided not to have a wedding list. However, we do not yet own our home. Therefore, if you wish to give us a gift, we would be eternally grateful for a contribution to our “adopt a brick” fund, to be put towards a deposit for a home of our own.

You will be welcome to visit your brick as many times as you like!

Not had too many comments about it, but the couple we have had were positive.

Hopefully it does leave people with the message that they aren't to feel like they must give us something!

• Posted: 15 Apr 2012 12:57

We did this and put a simple line:

We request your presence, not presents. If however you would like to make a gesture, a contribution to our honeymoon fund would be gratefully received.

• Posted: 15 Apr 2012 13:00

psari:

As we have all we need for our home, we have decided not to have a wedding list. However, we do not yet own our home. Therefore, if you wish to give us a gift, we would be eternally grateful for a contribution to our “adopt a brick” fund, to be put towards a deposit for a home of our own.

I really like this!  I really don't like poems either and would much prefer people just asked up front - I have no objection to giving money if that's what the couple would prefer, but I'd like to know!

• Posted: 15 Apr 2012 13:50

We simply asked for donations to our honeymoon.

Some people were very generous, far more than we expected.

A few people wanted to give vouchers or gifts.  When we got back home, we noted names vs gifts, and then sent our thank-you cards out when we got back.

Our tog was able to provide a single photo that we got quickly printed (photobox) and we included that in our thank-you cards.

• Posted: 15 Apr 2012 16:26

50's pin up bride:
    I think no gift list is risky (in case you end up with 25 photo frames and 25 kettles!)

I don't know anyone who would buy a kettle for a couple who have owned their own home for well over two years. We put no info, and when asked we told people that we simply don't need anything. So far we have had some generous monetary gifts, and I know that some people are planning things such as champers, keepsakes, and vouchers for our favourite restaurants.

• Posted: 15 Apr 2012 16:34

In our invite we have this:

We haven't got a wedding list, the reasons we'll explain
    It's to save you all the hassle, as shopping is a pain
    We thought we'd ask you all, for something fun
    A small contribution for us to take a holiday in the sun
    So if you'd like to contribute, towards our honeymoon
    We offer our heartfelt thanks
    With love The Bride and Groom

I am also putting in another piece of paper which gives an example of what they might contribute could pay for, I thought people would think they had bought something percific then.

Example: £10 a bottle of champagne at dinner, £25 dinner on the beach, £30 boat trip to a private island, £40 spa morning for 2 on the beach, £50 quad biking in the rainforest

xx 

• Posted: 15 Apr 2012 16:54

We have decided not to put anything in our invites, as we felt the poems were a bit cheesy and crass to be honest!  I cant imagine that we'll get a load of toasters, if I got a wedding invite with no gift list I would automatically stick some money in a card - far easier than faffing with a gift list!

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 17:59

I have really struggled with this because I really didnt want ANY gifts, most of my frinds are skint buying houses, having babies, travelling and I didnt want them to have to spend more money juts becuase we have decided to tie the knot.

However when I thought about it, I like buying prezzies, and I would not turn up completley enmpty handed to a wedding, most people I spoke to said they would be glad if we had a list becuase they want to get us something, and the majority seemed to prefer a list rather than giving cash.

I think im going to go for a gift list or ikea vouchers as we are renovating our house, but going to be very frank in saying that we do not expect anything. A friend of my OH is getting married soon, they had a gift list and I quite liked the fact that we could choose something for them, they had a range of budgets too with things starting at £3 which I thought was good.

Personally I dont particularly like givng people cash for honey moons, I do like choosing the pressie myself, and I also feel a little like why should people pay for us to have lush holiday just becuase we are getting married when they might be struggling on a really tight budget, at least with Gift list prices can vary a bit. I think its a psychological thing tho becuase I wouldnt mind giving vouchers for a travel agent for exmaple, ( this may be becuase I have been to a few weddings where people have asked for honeymoon cash and never had the honeymoon!)

This is such a hard one tho! I agree with the comment that you cant please everyone!

• Posted: 2 Nov 2015 22:21

Hi everyone,

My husband to be and I had the same problem. We used a site called www.honeymoon.fund which was really good. We just put the link to our page on our wedding invitations. It's similar to just giving.

Hope this helps x

• Posted: 4 Nov 2015 13:34

I put together an information sheet for our guests who are flying up for the wedding and staying in hotels etc, then popped this in the middle of it all:

The most important gift to us is that you are there to share our day.  But if you are thinking of giving a gift to help us on our way, a gift of money towards our dream home would really make our day.

• Posted: 4 Nov 2015 13:47

my friend didnt have a gift list and she got a load of completely unique gifts, most where handmade and personal, a few traditional wedding gifts and some money - not a single toaster or kettle though

• Posted: 4 Nov 2015 16:42

psari:

We went for the non-poem approach too.

I adapted some wording my friend had used for his invites (did ask him first!):

Not had too many comments about it, but the couple we have had were positive.

Hopefully it does leave people with the message that they aren't to feel like they must give us something!

Love this one. 

• Posted: 4 Nov 2015 19:53

It's a strange one this, I don't agree with asking for money towards whatever but on the other hand we don't need anything for our house etc! So it's a case of finding the right balance so that equally people don't waste money on gifts we don't need hmm 

• Posted: 4 Nov 2015 21:11

I am with the others who don't like the poems.

My oh wants a gift list but if we decide not to then we will leave it off the invitations, people will always ask or just default to cash/vouchers, champagne, photo albums etc.

• Posted: 5 Nov 2015 8:46

I went for half and half.. Not a fan either of the sickly poems but wanted it put nicely across not to offend. These were ours from Ebay.

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous123Next >