anyone done DIY music for reception

ExpensiveYellowCakes52509
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 11 Jun 2018 22:04

anyone done DIY music for reception

Hi,

has anyone done or been to a wedding where they have done the music themselves??

we have a very small budget and it’s a choice between the photographer we really want or a cheaper budget photographer and do.

the venue is a very small barn adjacent to a 16th century pub and we are going for a a pretty boh relaxed feel. I have seen on some budget planning sites about DIYing the music. The venue offers the option of a music equipment to hire at a very reasonable price and we were considering asking the guests to add a song to their RSVP that would make them dance and then just creating a playlist with this and a few other songs.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great. Or if anybody can suggest good low cost DJs around the Yorkshire Dales Skipton area that would be great. Any other money saving advice would be amazing!! 

Thanks xx

• Posted: 13 Jun 2018 13:52

Re: anyone done DIY music for reception

If it's a choice between the photographer you want or a disco/band, I would go for the photographer.

Your photos will last forever, but no-one will remember what songs were played.

Great idea about asking your guests to pick a song - my friend did that for her wedding, and it was great! 

It's straightforward enough to create a playlist on a phone or mp3, or even a laptop, then plug it into the sound system. The venue should know how their PA system works and help you with set up and which cables to get if they don't have them.

We have my brother's band playing in the evening, but will be making a playlist for set breaks and during the wedding breakfast for background music.

My tips would be to make sure you over-estimate the length of time you need to play music for - it's better to have too much music than to have to repeat it! 

And make sure your device either has a battery to last the whole duration, or can be charged at the same time as playing. 

Hope this helps! x

• Posted: 14 Jun 2018 23:12

Try Andylids entertainments, he has good prices.

The problem with doing your own music is that DJ's often provide the evening lighting as well.  DJ's are excellent value and even though I'm a wedding photographer I wouldn't advise doing away with a decent dj to allocate that budget to photography.

I'd ditch the favours first and all the unnecessary gift giving.

• Posted: 15 Jun 2018 0:03

I agree (of course!) that the thing about the photography is that it is something that will last, forever, whereas the songs that are played will fade from memory possibly before the evening is over.  

That being said, doing your own music is perhaps trickier than you might think.  A good DJ, as well as having the right equipment, will "read" the mood of the event and the moment and play the right songs at the right time - up tempo, fun songs when people want to dance, a bit more gentle when people want a break, etc. 

Given a limited budget, as most of us have, as the other photographer on the thread said, I would cut back on favours, gifts, gimmicks, etc. to allow you to have both photography and a DJ. Renting that illuminated "LOVE" sign will make no difference at all whatsoever to the extent to which you enjoy the day, your guests enjoy the day, or the memories of the day in years to come.  If you've cut back on those things and you still are hitting a budget limit, consider cutting back on alcohol, the cake, the cost of bridesmaids dresses, etc. all of which I personally feel also make less difference than most people realise.

And don't get me started on fireworks... 

Hope that helps!

• Posted: 15 Jun 2018 12:27

Anything DIY is a risk, you will have to have someone to do it/run it on the day. I have seen guests so drunk who was in charge of the music really mess it up, one guest broke the speaker the couple hired and they had no music for 30 minutes until another guest drove home and used his speakers.

• Posted: 16 Jun 2018 12:09

yes, my friend did that ont her wedding and everyone loved it as they used fav music of them and their guests

• Posted: 18 Jun 2018 16:22

Love the idea of asking for suggestions to be included n the rsvp invitations - should help you curate an interesting mix - just watch out for the jokers who suggest Dollys D.I.V.O.R.C.E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5HBDJvdxIg

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)