Angry - Wedding Coordinators quoting higher for suppliers?!?!? Help?

SunnyGoldCars80395
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 7 Jan 2019 12:08

Angry - Wedding Coordinators quoting higher for suppliers?!?!? Help?

Hello All

I have come here for a bit of advice on my wedding coordinators. I am getting married in Malta in August, I live in London therefore I thought it would be obvious to get wedding coordinators so that my day is well put together however the prices they quote me are quite high, making me do some leg work.

For example - I was quoted £230 for an aisle runner - I have been given high priced accommodations for my guests, making me then contact lower priced 4 star hotels and booking accordingly. They cost £1500 (£300 paid) for helping plan my wedding however I seemed to be doing more getting better prices, though I thought the pressure was supposed to be a little at least with a planner.

Anyway I looked at the photographers they listed me and I have contacted a few of them myself for quotes, and they are definitely charging more than the suppliers require - for example one photographer is £295 for 3 hours and £72 each additional hour. They quoted me £354 and £100 each additional hour. Another photographer quoted me £650 they quoted me £767 for 4 hours.

Has anyone experienced this? and any advise on proceeding? I cant not have a planner as I need someone to put the wedding together at the venue (not a hotel - a beach club, so they don't have anyone!)

• Posted: 7 Jan 2019 20:40

Re: Angry - Wedding Coordinators quoting higher for suppliers?!?!? Help?

I think this is quite common.  The venue are increasing their profits by putting extra undisclosed fees onto the supplier bookings.

• Posted: 8 Jan 2019 6:11

Although it seems very unfair I would imagine that this is their way of making profit on the services they are arranging for you. If you still need the service of the coordinator I don’t think there is any way around it for you. Sorry I know that’s not helpful just didn’t want to read and run x

• Posted: 8 Jan 2019 10:30

I am not sue if the coordinators mentioned are actually planners which is something different. As she says-

SunnyGoldCars80395:
    I cant not have a planner as I need someone to put the wedding together at the venue (not a hotel - a beach club, so they don't have anyone!)

In this country (England ) a venue coordinator would usually only be recommending suppliers, ones who they know well and trust  - with the exception of caterers - in-house dj's for some venues who stipulate these. And then its left to the bride and groom to check out and book the other suppliers themselves.

I cannot speak for all planners but I know some work by first charging a fee but then will have negotiated a discount with suppliers which if you book through the planner you will get the discount, all of those discounts are supposed to off set the planners upfront cost. This means that they are only putting forward suppliers who are willing to work like this. Even though the impression is given that suppliers are chosen because they are the best ones.

Could this planner perhaps not be charging a fee but instead adding a few £ on top of each supplier. The extra costs then are to cover all the legwork that the planner is doing for you.

There are however other high-end professional planners.

• Posted: 9 Jan 2019 22:29

I can certainly understand how frustrating this must feel.

The relationships between venues, suppliers, agents and planners can be complex. Some venues take commission for suppliers to work at their site. Others request PLI upgrades which can cost extra for the supplier to work there. Sometimes the agent (if the planner of venue use one) takes a cut and sometimes the planner marks up the price. Sometimes the specific timings of the day, or access policy to the venue mean that suppliers neeed to arrive earlier than contracted (which incurs staffing costs).

I am sure that there is an explanation. I would have an honest chat with your planner so that you can understand their commission policy and any other factors (unless they have already disclosed these in their terms). 

Good luck - what a lovely location for a wedding!

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)