Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AnnaBanana
Beginner July 2007

Fast food sales on the increase

AnnaBanana, 17 of February of 2009 at 13:12 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 24

Just heard on the radio that fast food sales are increasing as people often consider it cheaper than cooking at home. How can people seriously think that is true? Surely the cost of a meal for 4 from Domino's could buy you enough food for a week if done properly? Dont take me wrong I like domino's as much as anyone else, but its certainly a treat and not a cheap one either. This can't be helping the obesity problem either. Maybe people are buying more takeaways instead of going on expensive night's out?

24 replies

Latest activity by SophieM, 17 of February of 2009 at 14:26
  • barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

As I understand it, the reason people are eating more fast food is that they are trading down from 'proper' meals out at a pub etc. That's pretty much what Dominos said in this morning's trading statement - not that people see it as a cheap alternative to cooking at home.

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

Dominos have said their sales have gone up because more people are staying in, and they've been offering incentives with 50% off vouchers and Bogof offers.

This makes sense to me.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

That's not the way I heard it when the Domino's profits were mentioned on the radio. The way I understood it they were saying that people were choosing to order a pizza (about £9.99 for our family for a large pizza) and staying in instead of having a night out (at least £60 if we had a meal out or went for a few drinks and a curry or something).

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But is that true though ?

I have seen reports that take-aways are taking away trade from restaurants because it is cheaper than eating out.

I also remember the debate about people buying take-aways because they are too busy (or too ignorant) to cook from scratch.

This is a new (and fairly disturbing) theory.

• barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

Conclusion - Anna misheard ?

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

I suppose its the treat element? I mean mayeb you'd treat yourself to a few drinks after work Friday night, but with less money you treat yourself to fish and chips instead?

its hard to answer because its all about your cirumstances I think. I wouldn't get a pizza from dominos no, there are 3 branches of Pizza express round the corner from me and there are always 1/2 price vouchers floating around so if I fancied a pizza, I'd go there, I could get the treat element of a nice meal in a restaurant for similar money.

I'd also probably rather use £4 to buy a M&S ready meal rather than a big mac meal.

But where I live is very convienient and doesn't have many pure takeaway type places. If it were my parents, for example, a dominos would be the easy option every time.

• Maxi
    Beginner February 2008
    Maxi ·
    • Hide content

At the lower end of the market though, fast food can be very cheap. We got a menu put through our letterbox last year proclaiming;

Mum's, have a night off - Kebab on a roll only £1 !!!!

• pigalicious
    pigalicious ·
    • Hide content

As an aside but still on the subject of fast food. My husband went to do his Food Hygiene certificate yesterday and the EH officer was telling them that Fat Rons are putting in planning permission for 1000 new outlets across the uk, which is just mad.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I think the news about Dominoes also mentioned that they were going to be opening more shops.

I've never heard of Fat Rons but what an awful name.

• AnnaBanana
    Beginner July 2007
    AnnaBanana ·
    • Hide content

? thanks BGB

the statement actually came from someone who they asked on the street as it were. said that because they were working extra hours etc they would rather get a takeaway because "it worked out cheaper" and easier for them to give the kids a pizza etc.

nevermind ?

• Iris
    Beginner
    Iris ·
    • Hide content

Sunset, Fat Rons is McDonalds ?

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

Fat Ron's is Macdonalds ?
    I don't know how much a domino's pizza is, but I would say it's easy to think that Fat Ron's is cheaper than cooking - you can get a burger and fries for under £2

L
    xx

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

I didn't know that either ?

• Old Nick Esq.
    Old Nick Esq. ·
    • Hide content

I had a lazy weekend on the food front, burger and chips on both Saturday and Sunday. (Rugby in the afternoon means tiddly and can't be arsed by food time).

There wouldn't be much to choose in the price between doing it myself and buying from an 'ordinary' chippy.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Ah I see, now I get it lol!

A burger and chips for under £2 yes, but hungry 5 minutes later? Also a yes.

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

Fat Rons (ha ha!) absolutley is cheaper than cooking- there is no way one could buy a burger bun and chips for less than £2. and a drink ?

and so it should be, they have massive econonmies of scale. I think there is (to some extent quite rightly) a lot of snobbery about fast food but there are certain things you can't deny, much as you'd like.

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course you can. They even do those (dreadful) individual microwave burgers + bun (Rustlers ?) at sainsburys for about a quid. 40p for a can of coke. 50p for a quarter of a bag of frozen chips. And that's buying the stuff pre-prepared.

You can easily get 2-3 burgers out of a £1 bag of beef mince, and home made chips cost pence.

I really don't believe there is any argument still to be had againt it being cheaper to buy ingredients and cook at home.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Was just about to say the same thing, you could buy frozen burgers, buns and a small bag of chips for 4 people for less than £2 per head, i'm sure of it. And be more full.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But I could certainly do burger, chips and drink for a family of 6 for £12, if I wasn't fussy about quality.

• swampytiggaa
    swampytiggaa ·
    • Hide content

We dont' have take out cos we can't afford it tbh - fish and chips for all of us is at least half of what i prefer to spend on food in a week. same reason that the children don't have school dinners - it would eat up too much of our budget and i would end up feeding them again at night to be certain that they were eating properly.

i do make sort of take out meals some nights tho....

• Old Nick Esq.
    Old Nick Esq. ·
    • Hide content

Tell you what's an absolute bugger... Grocery shopping for yersel'

I can really see where the temptation to exist on ready meals comes from.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

or even if you were.

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hear you Nick. Having lived by myself for 5 years, you soon realise that most foodstuffs don't come in volumes suitable for 1.

That said, it is still possible, especially if you are sober organised enough to cook in batches and freeze.

I know that even these days if G&T is out for the night I'll order in, rather than rattling round the kitchen on my own for half an hour.

• Old Nick Esq.
    Old Nick Esq. ·
    • Hide content

I can't remember the last time I finished a loaf without having to bin a couple of slices and now it seems next to impossible to find milk in anything smaller than a litre carton.

The slow cooker is my friend. Start a curry on a Monday.... Replenish as required.

I normally cook for a mate on Sundays, and even there, if I just use the supermarkets, a joint that we will both still be eating on Wednesday seems to be the only option.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, probably ? although it wouldn't cover the purchase of a deep-fat fryer for the chips.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics