Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2021

Kids table advice!

megan894, 24 of June of 2020 at 10:02 Posted on Planning 0 5

I'm getting married in 2021 and have been looking briefly at seating plans for our guests. We're allowing kids at the wedding because so many of my close family have young kids (my dad and step mum will have a 2 year old at the wedding too) so there will be approx 10 kids ranging from 2 - 14 years.

I thought the best thing would be to have a 'kid's table' for all aged 5 to 14, so that they can all play and entertain one another, especially if we have games for them or something.

But a family member dropped it in conversation that they expect to be sitting with their kids. All of the kids going have young siblings, so every one of them will know another child. But now I don't know if a kid's table is the right thing to do.

I don't want families to feel like they have to be separated/constantly watching their kids, but I hoped that a kid's table would allow the adults to enjoy their food a little more. I know years ago when I was a kid, I was sat at kid's tables at weddings and had no problem with it, but am now feeling like I'm making the wrong choice.

Has anyone else had a kid's table at their wedding? Or is it a recipe for disaster with kids constantly running to find their parents?

5 replies

Latest activity by HappyRedStationery5420, 26 of June of 2020 at 13:00
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

"the best thing would be to have a 'kid's table' for all aged 5 to 14, so that they can all play and entertain one another"

Putting teens and nearly-teens on a table together is fine, but I wouldn't mix ages 5-14. A 14-year-old shouldn't have to be responsible for a bunch of other kids, and unless all the families know each other, parents are likely to be worried about their 5 year old being left with a random teenager they don't know.

I was that teen at a few weddings in my youth and I HATED it - everyone else enjoying themselves, and I was stuck looking after a bunch of strange kids.

The best thing to do is to talk to the individual parents and ask if they are happy to have their kids on a separate table or not - they will likely know if their kids can be trusted to be sensible seated apart. I think the idea of having something to entertain the kids is great though - if the table idea doesn't work, maybe have a corner where they can go to play when they finish eating.

• L
    Dedicated June 2019
    LuxuriousPurpleBridesmaid73066 ·
    • Hide content

I had 15 children at my wedding between 10 months and 14 years old and I sat all the children with their parents. I tried to give them all an age appropriate wedding favour like puzzle books, colouring in, soft books for the babies, pull back racing toys and nail polish. These helped during the speeches when they may have got bored.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

I was seated at a kids table once when I was in my teens and I was really surprised as I felt far too old to be at it and I don’t really like children and I hated every minute of it! Plus what if they all start fighting and crying? Also you might have a really shy, socially awkward child there that only wants to be with their parents. I’d play it safe and seat them with their parents.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Even worse, I went to a wedding a few years back where I was the only single - and I got stuck on the kids table, providing a free baby-sitting service for all the couples... Worst wedding I've ever been to and I've never felt quite the same about the couple since then!

• M
    Beginner June 2021
    megan894 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all the replies! I definitely think you're all right that it's not the best idea to put such a huge range of ages together. I think I'll try to rearrange seating so that I can put kids with parents, or at least with other family they know! Thank you for the help! x

• H
    HappyRedStationery5420 ·
    • Hide content

I like this thread. Nice information.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics