Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

A postponed wedding (and potentially another one!)

12 of May of 2020 at 15:00 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi fellow brides,

I was due to get married at the end of May but we postponed it to mid August back in March (when we optimistically thought things would be getting back to normal).

We both live in London but are getting married in Scotland as my fiancee's family live there and we found a beautiful venue. However, the further we go into lockdown, the more I'm unsure our rescheduled wedding will go ahead. My fiancee and I have said we'd be happy with a much smaller wedding of 50 guests (we've invited 100) if that was the new rules in August but it's so difficult to predict - especially with the laws in England and Scotland being different!

The main thing for me is getting married - even if it's in my parent's garden and then a registry office. I'm just unsure about giving notice twice for two different boroughs - if I wait until July to hear about the August Scottish wedding, do I lose out on getting a registra in London to marry us.

I wondered if anyone else was in a similar boat and was facing their rescheduled wedding not going ahead either? How long do you think you'll hold out for before you reschedule (and I'm really not sure when to reschedule to!)

2 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousPurpleHair76214, 15 of May of 2020 at 09:14
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You can give notice of marriage for more than one place - you will have to pay the fees again (and won't be able to give notice until your registry office is open), but that is all.

Notices last for up to a year from date of issue, so if your wedding can't go ahead in Scotland on your chosen day, you can get married at that venue on a later date, as long as the venue and registrar are available.

If getting married is the main thing for you, I would suggest giving notice at your local registrar as soon as it opens - you can then get married as soon as your month's wait is up. And your Scottish wedding can then become a vow renewal/wedding celebration instead.

• L
    Beginner August 2020
    LuxuriousPurpleHair76214 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I'm in a very similar position. We were due to elope to Gretna Green at the end of May. Just the 2 of us with 2 random witnesses. In March we postponed to 11 August this year. We have a wedding package which included 2 nights at a hotel in the GG complex. We then had planned a week nin Edinburgh for honeymoon.

We live in NI and like Scoland have different rules re lockdown exit.

A few weeks ago I got in touch with a lovely wedding venus to ask if they could accommodate a wedding for just the 2 of us. I wasn't expecting them to be able to help as it's a stunning venue which is usually booked a uear or more in advance. They got back to me and said they were optimistically hoping to go ahead again from 1 July. THey offeref us the venue for just the 2 of us on 1 July and the 2 owners have offered to be our witnesses with no charge. I couldn't believe it

Like everyone else I just don't know what to do. I don't think the 1st July will go ahead and in any case I'd need to give notice in a few weeks and that's not possible at the minute.

We had our heart set on Gretna, it was to be a big adventure and I'm devistated as i've literally been counting down the weeks.

Gretna is our preference but I don't know what would happen if the wedding was permitted nut the hotel was closed. I've asked them but they won't commit to an answer.

I just don't know what to do.

• L
    Beginner August 2020
    LuxuriousPurpleHair76214 ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea why this has come up under this username. I'm going to try and amend it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics