Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R

Future SIL booked wedding less than 2 weeks before ours

RedheadBride1992, 20 of August of 2019 at 18:16 Posted on Planning 0 1

So my future SIL got engaged last year and booked her wedding for 23rd May 2020. We got engaged after her and she our date for 20th June 2020. We originally wanted May but that was already taken by future SIL, we then tried for August but that conflicted with other family plans and then 20th June was the only Saturday that our venue had left. We thought that a month was an ok amount of time to allow everyone to come to both weddings and not to take any of the like light off future SIL.

Future SIL then cheated on her fiancé, they broke up and cancelled the wedding. Fast forward 5 months and she is now engaged to someone new that the family haven’t even met and just found out she’s booked the new wedding for 6th june 2020 which is less than 2 weeks before ours! We tried to be considerate when we booked our wedding not to do it too close and she hasn’t even thought about us. We can’t change our wedding now because it’s all booked but I get the sense future SIL has only done this so she can still get married before us. Her venue has plenty of other dates available that she could have chosen so there seems no real reason she’s done it so close to ours!

Do i I have a right to be upset and say something to her and the family? My mum passed away in april really suddenly as well so I’ve only just started feeling happy and excited about our wedding again because I’ve just found my wedding dress but I just feel deflated now like it’s not going to be a special with them having their wedding so close ?.

1 replies

Latest activity by Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019, 22 of August of 2019 at 09:12
  • H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

First of all, I’m so sorry for your loss.

In the grand scale of things does it really matter who gets married first? You’re in a better position than her as yours is after hers and yours is the one people will remember and you can pick up on hints and tips from her wedding of things that you can do differently and better.

Try not to lose sight of what it’s all about - marrying your soulmate. Nothing else matters really.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Happy Blue Cars.

It does sound like she has been thoughtless and inconsiderate of your feelings, but from what you've said about her, that just seems like that's the kind of person she is. If she's rushing into this, her wedding may not even happen, so try not to stress over it too much.

It is annoying, and I completely understand you feeling that way, but as Happy Blue Cars says - yours will be the one people remember being second. Have you sent out save the dates? If not, maybe send them out now just to make sure that people definitely have yours in the diary.

I'm so sorry for your loss, that's an awful thing to have to deal with at anytime, let alone when you're trying to plan a wedding. Focus on you and your fiance, and try not to even think about his sister. Maybe don't tell her things you have planned for your day though!

Hope this helps x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics