Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner July 2021

Long Distance Relationship/Wedding???

ExpensiveIvoryDecor58467, 13 of August of 2019 at 21:32 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hello,

So me and my partner have been together 6 years and engaged for 2 years. We want to get married in 2021 as I want to be 21 years old when we get married. Anyway, we are currently in a long distance relationship, I'm currently spending half of my time at home in South Wales, UK and the other half at my partners in Newcastle, Although planning on moving in permanently with her at the end of this year/beginning of next. There is a 300 mile difference and we are struggling on deciding a place to get married.

What would you do in our situation? Do we just find a place in the middle or just decide on either of our home locations, I just don't want our family falling out or getting upset if we choose the others town if you get what I mean? Also tips on cheapish weddings will be much appreciated as we wont have lots and lots of cash!

Thank you!

3 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveYellowConfetti853, 19 of August of 2019 at 09:06
  • L
    Dedicated June 2019
    LuxuriousPurpleBridesmaid73066 ·
    • Hide content

As for where to get married I would suggest Newcastle as that is where your life will be then and people will understand that. My husband and I got married in Edinburgh as that’s where our life was and our guests traveled 25 miles from East and West Lothian, 70-80miles from various places in Ayrshire and 400 miles from the south of England. We booked a hotel for our wedding breakfast and evening reception for £5600 for 75 adults. That price included a glass of fizz for everyone at the drinks reception, half a bottle of wine each for the table and a second glass of fizz for the speeches. Table centre pieces and a DJ for the evening. As we’re in Scotland we could also have had a piper to pipe us in to the evening reception

• Busybrides
    Beginner February 2031 Essex
    Busybrides ·
    • Hide content

If you are going to move to Newcastle, then I would personally have the wedding in South Wales on the basis that you will see all the family and friends in Newcastle all the time, but if anyone from South Wales can't afford the journey down to Newcastle, you missed that opportunity to spend some quality time with them too. If you do something in the middle you are costing everyone money, as opposed to just one side. Or figure out which side is more likely to take the time to travel, only you know your guests.

Figure out your headcount, look to get married out of season and maybe on a week day, all these will keep the costs down. Then maybe find a hotel that does a special deal, that can offer affordable accommodation on site, then have a twilight wedding so you only have to feed everybody once. These are just a few things to do to save a few ££'s. Good luck x

• L
    Savvy August 2021
    LuxuriousGreenHair66000 ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at the prices for both locations if money is the issue. Traditionally, the marriage happens in the bride's town (although a bit out dated it could be your reasoning). Or you can go for his town and say that's where you are living.

Think about your guests. Is his family less mobile/more elderly? Which town is best suited for guests (hotels etc). Also think about who will have the most time/ability to plan - whoever's town you choose will likely a lot of the do most of the planning/organising.

We are having our wedding away from both of our families, where we live. I would not recommend it for bigger weddings especially when not even you live there because you have the problem of both families traveling for sake of fairness.

If you still can't decide, look at the venues, prices and see which you like best. I lived in Swansea for a while and went to lovely weddings in the Gower. Not been to Newcastle.

P.S have you looked into doing a destination wedding - you could go abroad or in UK? That will be a smaller wedding though, so it depends on how big a wedding you want. There is a nice medieval house near me in Kent that does a weekend package for intimate weddings for example.

No. 1 tip for saving money: Go weekday or off-season (or both). It will knock hundreds of not thousands off the venue, as well as room to negotiate with other suppliers. Also, DIY and second hand is your friend!

• E
    Beginner April 2020
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti853 ·
    • Hide content

I would choose somewhere near to where you will

be living. My family are Newcastle and other half’s in Devon/Salisbury area. We live in London so getting married just outside of London.

On on another note, some lovely locations near Newcastle to get married... doxford barns are gorgeous as is ellingham hall

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics