Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Curious June 2022 Cambridgeshire

Are canapés necessary

Expensivepurplebridesmaid50886, 28 of January of 2019 at 10:43 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all!

my OH and I are getting married 20th June 2020 and are looking at our budget. The ceremony is at 3pm and the 3 course meal will be around 5.30/6pm. My OH would like canapés to be circulated during the arrival drinks and photos but I’m not too sure. They would be a lovely luxury but when it comes down to the budget I can’t justify it.

what are your thoughts? Are they a necessary part of the wedding?

5 replies

Latest activity by HappyBlueCars582, 2 of February of 2019 at 14:28
  • E
    Beginner April 2020
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti853 ·
    • Hide content

With your timings, I don’t think canapés are necessary. Everyone will have had lunch and wouldnhave had time for a snack before the ceremony. Then dinner at 5.30. Canapés really are to fill the gap between ceremony and wedding breakfasts which can often be a good 3hours

• G
    Beginner March 2020
    GreenIvyRedBerries20 ·
    • Hide content

Keeping to the budget can be really difficult, I myself keep finding little "extra" costs adding up.

The way I see budgeting, its all about justification. For example, I would be heartbroken if I didn't have an evening DJ or a photographer because I want a great party and some memories to look back on. Yes everyone would love canapes and a large buffet, but realistically given my guests will be mingling and dancing, they will not want for or miss having these things.

Thinking back to the weddings I attended I dont ever remember being annoyed that canapes were not served, and if they were served I was never super excited about them like I was for the evening entertainment or wedding breakfast. You have to do whats best for your budget, and often that means reducing down those "extra" costs by being picky about what extras you have on the day. So for me I am going with a mixed drinks package (not just bubbly so people have a choice) and a 3 course wedding breakfast with no canapes.

Ultimately the decision is yours.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

No, they would be a waste for you. Your guests will have had lunch before the wedding. Canapes tend to be served when weddings are earlier, eg 12-1pm as guests may be hungry during the photos if they missed lunch

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others, I don't think they are necessary. Personally, I'm not a fan of canapes anyway - if I'm actually hungry, they're just teasing!

We have a midday ceremony, but instead of canapes, will be making scones and jam to go around instead of canapes before the meal at 3pm. X

• R
    Savvy August 2019
    RomanticPinkDecor31906 ·
    • Hide content

No, not necessary. We’re thinking of doing canapés instead of a starter...

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

While I don’t think they are necessary I think there’s always that bit of the day when the bride and groom are away getting their photos taken that it can be a bit boring for guests so eating canapés can give them something to do! I know that’s the bit of the day I find boring and canapés can be nice and give your guests something to do at that point when they’re just hanging about waiting.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics