Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Expert September 2019

Giving Notice Tips?

Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019, 4 of October of 2018 at 08:27 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hello!

We have our appointment to give our Notice of Marriage at our local registry office tomorrow - I managed to get the last slot of the day on a Friday, so we are taking the afternoon off and celebrating afterwards!

I know that we'll probably both be seen separately, and need to know things like each other's full names, date of birth and job titles.

And we need to take a passport, and bill as proof of ID and address.

We were planning on taking our council tax bill, as it has both our names on it. I have no other bills in my name. Should we take another bill with just my fiance's name on it too?

And should we take birth certificates too?

We're both British, and neither of us have been married before, so I'm anticipating it being straightforward - did anyone get asked any weird questions?

Do you get interviewed separately first and then together?

I haven't been told to take anything to ID our parents, but I've heard that some people do - is this just a difference in councils?

What did people take to show their venue - does it have to be something official like an invoice, or can I just given them the name and address verbally?

I'm probably massively over-thinking this - I'm mostly looking forwards to a pint afterwards!

Thanks in advance for any advice! X

10 replies

Latest activity by Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019, 9 of October of 2018 at 11:44
  • H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyBrownDecor18059 ·
    • Hide content

If you've got passports then you don't need your birth certificate on top of that. You should have a list to say how many proofs of address you need, I can't remember how many we brought but having a couple if you've got more than one can't hurt. We weren't asked for any ID for our parents, and we didn't need any proof of booking the venue, just the name and address. In any case, I'd guess they are well acquainted with most of the local venues, our registrar certainly seemed to know our venue very well and had done weddings their loads of times, knew exactly the layout and how they do things there etc. They do interview you separately as well as together - you just have to go out of the room for 5 minutes. I was nearly tripped up by a couple of questions - my fiancé has a second middle-name that he never mentions or puts on mail or anything so I almost forgot it! Then I wasn't entirely sure of how to phrase my dad's job (I normally just tell people "he works at ...") but she said that's fine, if I got it wrong we can change it on the day. But it sounds like you've already got that all sorted anyway Smiley smile They were dead friendly and helpful.

A friend of mine's brother had to do a more in-depth interview where they basically questioned them both to make sure it wasn't a sham marriage, (there was nothing to indicate it would be, they're both British citizens from the same town etc. apparently they just do random checks from time to time...?) But I'm fairly sure they were given advance warning so I doubt that will be the case for you!

• M
    Curious September 2019
    Missus_Mop ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god, this all sounds horrendous! I had no idea it would be like this. I thought you just basically showed them where you lived, that you were resident in the town, and you skipped off together, lol. The idea of being interviewed separately makes it sound like an interrogation, not a happy occasion that you're willingly entering into!

• H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyBrownDecor18059 ·
    • Hide content

Haha! It's honestly not as bad as it sounds! The separate interviews are literally just 5 minutes and they just ask some really basic stuff like your partner's name and date of birth, just to make sure you do actually know who each other are and it's not a sham and neither of your are being forced into it. But when I did it they were all very friendly and lovely and when I hesitated over my fiancé's middle name she just laughed and said "yeah, that sometimes happens!" so no pressure, it's just something they have to do.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply! I'm sure I'm just overthinking and it'll be fine. I've actually spoken to the lady who will be doing our interviews, as she called to reschedule, and she sounded nice.

Haha - Missus Mop, I know what you mean! I didn't even realise this was a thing until after we got engaged! I'll let you know how it goes! At least we have champers for afterwards Smiley smile

X

• L
    Beginner July 2019
    LuxuriousPinkDecor833 ·
    • Hide content

Made my laugh when i saw this topic as that was me yesterday.

We gave notice today and it was honestly so easy, Why do we worry ourselves over silly things.

I found myself in bed last night questioning my partner on dates we got engaged, where we met, first date etc etc and they didn't ask anything like that.

We had a lovely lady who explained she would ask me the majority of questions but that was because a lot of men take a step back and cant answer some questions, She asked for our ID's we took a passport each and a driving licence card each which has our address on the bottom of it, at this point she just double checked the wedding venue and what time we had booked a slot to be married for.

She then sent him out the room and asked me what mine and my partners name, dob, occupation and address was, she then got me to read something which basically said i wasn't being forced, i was over 18 and that we wasn't related and to sign it. She then just asked me fathers name and occupation and we swapped. My partner says she asked him exactly the same except she wanted his fathers details from him.

And that was that, we went back in room together where she went through how the day will go, what songs we can and cant have, ideas regarding candle lighting stuff and off we went on our way with a bridal magazine and some songs and poem books they provided us with.

Really its nothing, enjoy it, even though we have been planning our wedding over the last year with venue booked etc this made it actually feel real. We both come out and was like WOW we are actually getting married.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    • Hide content

This is the exact feeling I'm waiting for - I've had it a couple of times, like when we booked our venue, and provisionally booked our registrar, but I feel like this will be another milestone moment!

Thank you! X

• BristolBride2812
    Beginner July 2019
    BristolBride2812 ·
    • Hide content

Like all the other commenters I can confirm it’s literally easy peasy. We only needed driving licence and passport as licence has our address on. Questions the same as all mentioned above! We were expecting some crazy big deal interview too! Anyone else think it’s disappointing how straightforward it is? Haha!!

• S
    Curious August 2018
    SpecialEdition1987 ·
    • Hide content

I always tell couples not to worry. It's all questions you already know about each other.

You'll go through similar questions on the day itself, just to check that we have the right info and the right people.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    • Hide content

We did it! It WAS really easy, just like you all said.

She didn't go into any details about the day, but I guess that's because we'll be having a registrar from a different council, so I guess they'll do that.

We definitely walked out feeling a bit 'wow, this is really happening, we're so grown up!' Enjoyed celebrating in the local pub though!

Thanks everyone for your advice! X

• M
    Curious September 2019
    Missus_Mop ·
    • Hide content

Hahaha - I got a bit scared there, LOL! Feel at ease now after all the comments. We're doing our 'giving notice' in the week between Christmas and New year, while H"B is off work, so we will definitely be heading into town afterwards for a few bevvies.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good plan!

I was impressed - we had the last appointment of the day on Friday, and I had an email on the Friday from the council we have our registrar booked with confirming that as we've now given notice, they've confirmed our booking and telling us how to give the information about readings and music that they need (and pay of course!).

All feels very real now!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics