Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner April 2022

Not having flowers - Am i mad?

ExcitedBlueHair1313, 22 of September of 2018 at 11:28 Posted on Planning 0 6

My partner and I cant decide whether or not to have flowers. We're not particularly "flowery" people anyway and it seems like a lot of expense for something so perishable.

I'm not worried about what to do with my hands when walking down the aisle. Both my Mam and my Dad are walking my down the aisle so we'll have our arms interlinked. And Ive said to all my bridesmaids that if they're self concious about what to do with their hands they can walk down in pairs and hold hands. (They'll all be more than comfortable enough with each other to do that!)

My only concern is decor. I dont want the place to look sparse and under decorated.

Thoughts? Am I mad to consider not bothering with flowers?

6 replies

Latest activity by KitesurfingBride, 1 of October of 2018 at 13:44
  • I
    Beginner October 2018
    InformalBride ·
    • Hide content

What about paper flowers? I have a paper flower bouquet (that I'll probably put down after 5 minutes and forget to pick back up) and some paper flowers in our centrepieces. I also made some tulle pompoms to hang around the walls, what about something like that if you're worried it'll look sparse?

Also, your venue almost certainly won't look sparse, once it's full of people you'll not notice anything! I was paranoid about ours for ages but now I realise that basically nobody will notice anything "missing" unless I tell them, so don't worry too much!

You could also try streamers, hanging lanterns, balloons? Depending on what sort of venue you have. Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    LuxuriousGreenFlowers65138 ·
    • Hide content

I think you should have a real bouquet to hold while walking down the aisle, and for decoration it's okay too if you incorporate some paper flowers or pompoms just to fill up the blank spaces

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I photographed a wedding with no flowers. The bride has a lot of allergies to them. You can get amazing fake flowers now. Wrist corsages might be a good way forward on a budget.

• H
    Beginner May 2019
    HappyGoldCakes14475 ·
    • Hide content

It's entirely up to you what you want to do. flowers are pretty, they're not a necessity. if you're having a sit down dinner you can make a centrepiece out of anything you want!

there are alternatives; i saw a great idea on instagram where the bouquets were fake flowers but with lego people and brooches and pearls and all sorts of really cool things so you could always make a bouquet out of anything you want!!

• F
    Beginner November 2018
    Fireworkandfairylightwedding ·
    • Hide content

I’m not a huge ‘flowery’ person either and couldn’t justify spending hundreds upon hundreds on flowers. However, we also couldn’t imagine not having any flowers at all.

In the end we’ve gone for a nice balance, I think, between cost and decor. I am having all fresh flowers and have ordered a bouquet, bridesmaid bouquet, button holes for the groom and 6 others, 4 floral wreaths for centrepieces (to go around mirror plates and lanterns), top table arrangement and flowers to decorate 2 small birdcages. All this has cost only £185 so I think I’ve got a lot for what we’re getting. I’m hoping to leave some of the flowers in the cemetery for the family members that are sadly no longer with us so they don’t go to ‘waste’. I also really want to attampt framing my bouquet flowers, but it looks quite tricky for a diy project so I’m not sure just yet.

I think if you’re undecided you should reach out to a few local florists and see what they can do. You might be surprised by some of the quotes and if not, you won’t have lost anything but at least you can make an informed decion.

• BristolBride2812
    Beginner July 2019
    BristolBride2812 ·
    • Hide content

I definitely second firework and fairy lights. I don’t think flowers are really important and didn’t want to spend money on them. Got a quote from a local florist at a wedding fair for a small amount of flowers - bouquets for the girls, buttonholes, some table decorations and she quoted us what seemed like a reasonable amount so all in we’re spending about £200. Seemed like a good balance between not spending and having a little something.

• K
    Beginner June 2019
    KitesurfingBride ·
    • Hide content

What season are you getting married in? If it's autumn or winter it could be nice to make centrepieces and decorations out of dried seedheads, berries, pinecones, evergreen foliage and decorative twigs - you can do this yourself and they won't wilt. You could also consider just some (cheap or free!) foliage swags to decorate the room to add greenness and freshness. Ribbons and swags of fabric or voile can add colour and decoration to a room. It doesn't have to be flowers. Personally I love flowers but also hate wasting money so don't spend it just because it's the done thing.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics