Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Savvy December 2020 East Central London

Am I being unreasonable?

kentgirl2020, 17 of September of 2018 at 12:04 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi All,

Looking for some advice here on if I'm being unreasonable or not!

I'm asking 3 of my best friends and my sister to be my bridesmaids in 2020. I've sorted out our hair, but have a slight issue with Makeup. I'm going to be doing my own makeup just as a personal preference as I hate other people doing it for me ?. I know my sister is the same as me too! Am I being unreasonable saying that if the other three bridesmaids will want makeup done they will have to arrange it themselves?

Would be great to know other bride-to-be's experiences!

Thank you

xx

3 replies

Latest activity by Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019, 18 of September of 2018 at 08:37
  • Sopho
    Beginner April 2019
    Sopho ·
    • Hide content

When my sister got married in 2014 I had a trial with the girls doing her makeup and absolutely HATED it, was going to cost me £75 for hair and makeup so I said I'd rather do it myself. Turned out fine.

Now I'm getting married I have the same worry that any makeup artist is going to go in way too heavy. I also know that my 4 bridesmaids don't have the makeup skills that I do, and I don't really want to spend the whole morning before my wedding doing their makeup for them, but I personally don't feel right asking them to pay because I want their makeup done a certain way.

I'm probably going to go with a package that includes me having a trial, and then makeup on the day for me and my 4 bridesmaids for £250. Two of them could probably afford to pay their share themselves. I've paid for all the dresses though so maybe it's not unreasonable to expect them to pay something. I just keep seeing these articles about horrible brides asking guests to fork out 3 grand towards a wedding and I don't want to put anyone off being involved just over money.

Anyway I don't think you're unreasonable, you know your friends and their financial situations, if you don't think it would cause a problem then I'd ask them to organise an MUA themselves.

• H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyBrownDecor18059 ·
    • Hide content

If you're not even getting a make-up artist for yourself then I don't see how they could complain! If you were getting professional makeup for yourself and not them then they might, might have grounds for complaint (although, even then, I've heard of brides who made their bridesmaids contribute towards the MUA), but if the bride is going DIY then I'd say they'd be acting like divas if they demanded a MUA paid for by you tbh.

At the moment one of my friends, who used to be a make-up artist herself, has offered to do make-up for me and my bridesmaids, but to be honest, I'm thinking I might just say I want to do it myself, because even though I'm not exactly a whizz at these things, I've developed a style and palate that I really like, and I'd feel weird doing things much differently to how I usually do.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Not at all. If you wanted their make up to look a certain way or them all to look the same then yes I would say you pay for it but if you're not bothered then it's up to them what they do.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having my make up done but not my bridesmaids. I'm not bad at make up, but as it will be the most important day of my life, I want to look my best, and I just know that something will go wrong if I do it myself, and I don't want to be stressed.

I have 6 BMs, they all have lovely skin, and one has allergies so wouldn't be able to have her make up done anyway. We're having a natural look - minimal make up look, and loose curled hair, and most of them will be able to do this themselves.

I will mention to them that if they want to organise their own MUA they are welcome to, but I just can't afford to do hair and make up for them all. I figured I'm already sorting their accommodation the night before, outfits, flowers, food, drinks and gifts, so they have nothing to complain about.

Hope this helps! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics