Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S

Affordable Entertainment Suggestions Please

SunnyYellowCars83937, 19 of July of 2018 at 14:58 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hiya

I just wondered what others are planning on doing for their evening reception party?

We are having a DJ and we have a bouncy castle and a sweetie table....I just feel like we need something a bit extra?

I'm not really a fan of cover/function bands and we have quite a small budget for extra extertainment or features so a firework display is out!

Any fun (affordable) suggestions/ideas would be appreciated Smiley smile

Thanks

9 replies

Latest activity by EntertainersWorldwide, 2 of August of 2018 at 16:38
  • E
    South West London
    EntertainersWorldwide ·
    • Hide content

With wedding season in full glorious summer swing we are seeing more and more requests to book additional entertainment for the ceremony and reception.

Fortunately we have increased the number of members and have a huge selection of musicians and live bands available to hire as well as a great choice of mix and mingle entertainers such as close-up & table magicians, celebrity look-a-likes and caricaturists available to book at short notice who will join your wedding guests to entertain them with tricks, fun and magic.

• F
    Beginner November 2018
    Fireworkandfairylightwedding ·
    • Hide content

Like you we’ve decided on a DJ and sweetie table with a few extras.

We’ve having a fireworks display and they’re blooming expensive so I know they aren’t in everyone’s budget. But if it was something you’re considering, lots of companies sell ‘DIY’ firework bundles which are a much cheaper alternative. Unfortunately, this wasn’t an option for us as the venue required them to be set off by a professional company so do check before you buy. Sparklers are another alternative that are much cheaper.

We’ve also chosen to have a magic mirror photo booth. This was around £350 for 4 hours of unlimited use and they also make up a photo guest book of all the pictures taken which can then be signed by the guests.

• S
    SunnyYellowCars83937 ·
    • Hide content

Much as we love fireworks they aren't really practical for our choice of recption venue (it is surrounded by thatched roofs! in a pretty chocolate box setting so I guess the insurance would be sky high) ?

The photo booth mirror sounds rather cool ao we'll look into that option - thanks for the tip and good luck with all your preparations.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

We've also gone for a photobooth - I've been to a couple of weddings with them and they were great fun! Guests get 2 copies of the photos - one to keep themselves, and one to put i the guestbook, which I think is a really lovely touch.

If your budget won't stretch to a photobooth, you could make your own with a fancy frame, some props (buy from a charity shop, or ask people to donate fancy dress items) and a polaroid camera. Stick a guest book by it and let people DIY it! I've seen this work well too, and you can pick up a polaroid camera pretty cheaply these days!

Have fun! X

• F
    Beginner November 2018
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, the magic mirror booths look great fun; at one point we were debating whether to get a normal booth but opted for that in the end. I’ve never been to a wedding with one but have been to lots with a regular booth so hoped other guests won’t have seen it either and it’ll be something new. I also liked that they are interactive and you can play games on them and guests can sign their photos too. They also take full length photos unlike tradional booths, so I will be able to see my whole dress ?

Good luck with your planning too!

• Joey@WarbleEntertainment
    Joey@WarbleEntertainment ·
    • Hide content

Hey there Smiley smile

A caricaturist is a great option and one of the more affordable wedding entertainment options out there. It's also a little unexpected and great fun!

If you want something else for the kids then have you thought about a face painter or something similar? Balloon modellers are also really cool and cost effective.

Search for more unique entertainment like living statues or even fire performers and you'll find some hidden gems in there that won't break the bank. Alternatively think about adding some games in there for next to nothing!

Hope this helps.

Joey - Warble Entertainment

• H
    Expert September 2019
    • Hide content

Wanted to add - we're looking into doing garden games, but it looks like it will actually be cheaper to buy new from Amazon than hire!

Looking at things like giant jenga and connect 4, croquet sets, swingball sets, that sort of thing. Amazon has some amazing deals, and we figured we could keep them for our own garden afterwards, or sell on.

Also, at my friends wedding, they got a big rope and did a tug of war - bride v groom, bridesmaids v ushers, then everyone piled in! It kept everyone entertained for a good while, all for the cost of a rope!

We looked at a caricaturist, but he was quite over our budget (around £100 an hour), and we couldn't afford him AND the photobooth. I've been to a wedding where they had one though, and it WAS fab!

X

• F
    Beginner November 2018
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We also looked into caricaturists and found the same thing. Our budget wouldn’t stretch to that and the photobooth (in addition to the fireworks and Dj). In the end I wanted a photobooth as that was more cost effective as obviously the caricaturist can only do so many pics an hour whereas the photobooth mirror was unlimited visits in the timeframe and each visit has 2 pictures too.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha, this was EXACTLY our thought process Smiley smile

• E
    South West London
    EntertainersWorldwide ·
    • Hide content

Thought it worth noting that the traditional photo booth is quite different to the latest magic mirror selfie set-ups. The booth is just for head shots (like passport photos) but the magic mirrors are full length and much more versatile for capturing guests in a fun way.

The Magic Mirror captures full-length photos of you and your friends using the reflective touch screen. Add your own drawings or emojis using the on screen paint pad. The Magic Mirror comes with pre-loaded animations, sounds and templates.

Take a look at some of the ideas in the gallery and videos on www.magicmirrorscreen.co.uk

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics