Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2021

bridesmaids, what should I pay for?

HappyOrangeConfetti3859, 30 of January of 2018 at 14:13 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello ladies,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice...

So I’ve started planning my wedding and have already picked out my bridal party, I have 4 bridesmaids, a maid of honour, and a flower girl. Now I am more than happy to pay for their dresses, flowers, and accessories but do u think I should also pay for their hair and make-up?

What is everyone else doing regarding this?

Thanks ?

8 replies

Latest activity by pearlycat210, 5 of February of 2018 at 14:15
  • R
    Beginner October 2018
    RomanticOrangeHair649 ·
    • Hide content

In my opinion, it's your wedding and you want to have bridesmaids, so you should cover all costs. They can of course do their own hair and makeup, but what if it doesn't look good? What if 1 bridesmaid wants to/can afford to pay for their hair and makeup and another person can't afford it, but will feel obliged to pay as the other person is. Not fair to pass any wedding costs onto guests/ wedding party. Cut back on other things to pay for everything for your bridesmaids or don't have as many.

• G
    Beginner May 2019
    GinAndBling ·
    • Hide content

I've not completely decided yet, but currently I am planning on paying for dresses, flowers and hair. Shoes I want them to just wear something they will be comfy in. Make up, depending on the cost I will pay for it but to be honest I know most of them would prefer to do their own!

I also have a bridesman, I'll pay for his suit hire and buttonhole.

Planning on getting them a necklace/ cufflinks as a thank you to wear on the day.

• G
    Beginner May 2019
    GinAndBling ·
    • Hide content

I've not completely decided yet, but currently I am planning on paying for dresses, flowers and hair. Shoes I want them to just wear something they will be comfy in. Make up, depending on the cost I will pay for it but to be honest I know most of them would prefer to do their own!

I also have a bridesman, I'll pay for his suit hire and buttonhole.

Planning on getting them a necklace/ cufflinks as a thank you to wear on the day.

• H
    Beginner May 2021
    HappyOrangeConfetti3859 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice! I’ll have a think and look at my budget ?

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I've paid for all their dresses and said they can wear any black shoes they own and can walk in, I think shoes are very personal choices. I've made them jewelry and a hair clip they are doing their own hair and makeup as they are all very specific about how they like to look. I want them to be comfy and confident.

• E
    Beginner August 2019
    ExpensivePurpleCars47773 ·
    • Hide content

Having read a lot of other forums on this topic it depends on whether you want them to do their hair and make up a specific way or not. If you want it in a way they won't be able to do themselves, you should pay. If you're happy with them looking how they would style themselves as a 'normal' guest then they'll do it themselves.

I am giving my bridesmaids a choice. They can pick how they want to look and if they decide they want professional hair and/or make up... they pay for it

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

If you want their hair and make up a particular way then I would say you pay for it.

• L
    LilacsandDiamonds ·
    • Hide content

I'm paying for their hair because I think it might look odd if they don't have it done professionally. I didn't feel it was necessary to have their make up done though so I'm not paying for that. Since the MUA is coming out to do my makeup anyway I just told the girls that if they'd like to use her then I'd book them in with her but asked them to pay for themselves n they didn't seem to mind at all. ( I just told them that they're beautiful and I don't think they need professional makeup, which is a compliment really!)x

• P
    Curious April 2020
    pearlycat210 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I was a bridesmaid last year and was coerced into paying for everything myself bar hair and make up.

With the demands for the hen do and accommodation we were required to stay in before and after the wedding, I was close to spending £1,000 on the wedding. Because of this I have made the decision that I will pay for everything for my bridesmaids, if they want to wear the same shoes as me, I will buy them, if they do not then shoes of their choice will be the only thing they have to pay for themselves.

I feel that I am asking them to do ME a favour so I then, as a bride shouldn't be asking them to foot the bill for it. Being on the receiving end as a bridesmaid, I feel it fractured the friendship, and yes I did repeatedly say I think the costs are getting a bit excessive can we try different options.

Hope this helps

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics