Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner February 2017

Eloping to Newcastle and looking for witnesses

RomanticGoldBridesmaid750, 4 of February of 2017 at 08:10 Posted on Planning 0 48

Hello there! My fiancé and I are eloping to Newcastle upon Tyne on Feb 20th 2017. We've booked a simple ceremony at Newcastle Registry Office. We haven't told a soul about our forthcoming wedding but I'm now starting to get a bit nervous about finding 2 witnesses. We had planned on asking 2 people off the street but what if we can't find anyone? Does anyone on here live in Newcastle and would be willing to be a witness at our wedding? You really would make our day come true! Xx

48 replies

Latest activity by Tidal Wave, 28 of February of 2017 at 13:24
  • Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry I'm too far away but wanted to bump your post again. Good luck Smiley laugh xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Wish I lived in Newcastle! As a back up plan have you asked the registry office if they can supply?

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    RomanticGoldBridesmaid750 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Smiley smile 2 weeks today... I'm trying not to think about the lack of witnesses but it's definitely becoming a more pressing concern!

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

NB

Yeah, we've asked but got quite a vague answer about not needing to know our witnesses... Think we should probably ring again... I'm hoping that someone will take pity on us!

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SunnyPinkConfetti731 ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried posting on a local Newcastle Facebook group? There's a Newcastle wedding group that might be able to help www.facebook.com/groups/932733970105869

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go Smiley smile

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

How romantic! The registry office should be able to supply 2 staff members since it's a normal working day. Hope it goes well! X

• BrideintheToon
    Beginner September 2017
    BrideintheToon ·
    • Hide content

I'm in Newcastle but will be at work with it being a Monday Smiley sad what time is it at?

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's at 1pm.. A bit of an awkward time for lots of people I guess, it's half term and I'm a teacher so it made sense for us!

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content

I'm a bit concerned that the Facebook group might show up in my newsfeed... That could cause some unscheduled explaining!!

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could ask a page admin to post anonymously for you and have them pass on the details of anyone interested to you?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Turn up a little bit early with two boxes of chocolates and two bottles of wine. I'm sure you will find witnesses. Staff. Passers by. Nearby shops. Good luck. Come back and tell us how it went. X

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I am just checking now with my contacts in my local register office for you but I think that you may not be allowed to use the office staff, its there in the back of my head from somewhere but I could be wrong.

But then again what I have found is that from office to office and registrar to registrar some will say that a certain thing is the law and the next would say "oh that's ok - so long as"

• Hide content

Ok my inside source has said that. As long as the office staff aren't officiating at the wedding, it should be possible, but there are of course no guarantees that they will agree to it or any will be avalible.

But each area may have different views on using people off the street, although it is allowed - so long as they can understand English some offices may be reluctant to let you because from past experience they have found it to take too long and is a bit of a faff (my words) and so insist that you already have someone.

Call them again to clarify the situation on their views on both the street person and the use of office staff.

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your help Smiley smile I phoned the Registry Office this afternoon - there is no chance of using their staff. People off the street are fine but she advised me to make sure we gave ourselves plenty of time to find them... Apparently it's not a common thing for people to do... And it does require a massive leap of faith on a very important day!

The wine and chocolates idea sounds great, as long as I don't bottle it before then... We really want to elope in secret but I also really want us to actually get married! I'm going to see what I can do to get in touch with the Newcastle Facebook wedding group without it showing up on my time line as that looks like it might be our last chance....

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Hmm what about the local W.I. or local church or a charity where someone may be willing to commit for a donation to whatever charity.something along those lines. Have you booked a photographer to take any pics in which case they could be one. Speak to the local paper? Be your witness, human nterest story and a free photographer lol.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Just goes to show you doesn't it that each area office works differently as the info I got from my local ones is that office staff ok (if they are there ) but people off the street is a no. Exactly the opposite to what you found.

When dealing with the register offices its always best to ask.

It shouldn't be that hard to find a passer by but the biggest problem you may have is convincing them it is ligit because it is not widely known that you can use a stranger off the street, they will be looking over their shoulder for the hidden camera and Jeremy Beadle, Noel Edmans or Dom Jolly to jump out (pick your prankster and show your age )

• K
    Beginner June 2017
    kimberleylorimer@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

I live just outside Newcastle and might be off work that day, I won't know until end of this week though.

xx

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you're free and would be willing to help us, that would be amazing! Smiley smile Smiley smile Please let us know when you find out xx

• K
    Beginner June 2017
    kimberleylorimer@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

Just got my shifts and unfortunately I am at work. Really sorry. I hope you get sorted.

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

W

No worries Smiley smile thank you anyway xxx

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

What about sticking a free advert on Gumtree saying you are looking for 2 witnesses and the date?

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Some Facebook groups are secret and doesn't go on your main feed wall... Other tthan that I think you might need to confide in a friend that that's your plan and swear them to secrecy and have them as witnesses might save you so much headache

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I tried contacting the admin for one of the Newcastle Facebook groups but I think they might have thought it was a scam as I've had no response and I know they received it via Facebook messenger. We've listed on another couple of local forums - no luck so far but someone did say that the registry office is right opposite the students union so my fiancé is going to scout it out next Monday and see if it looks likely that we could find a couple of students... If that doesn't look likely and we've not found anyone else then we will have to confide in someone as it's becoming a tad stressful!

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had thought of that but my experience of buying and selling on Gumtree has been a bit hit and miss in the past - not always very reliable so I think I'd be a bit nervous of whether they would turn up or not!

• BrideintheToon
    Beginner September 2017
    BrideintheToon ·
    • Hide content

Contacting the local paper (The Chronicle) is a good idea.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/contact-us/

The students' union is indeed just over the road and there are always heaps of students hanging about around there. Students are always up for helping out and doing something unusual!

I could put a message out on Facebook and see if anyone else I know could help.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Have you found anyone yet?

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

fiancé is heading to Newcastle today armed with posters to go up in the students union - we decided to offer £20 as an incentive, we've put a mobile number on the posters so I'm hopeful we might have some offers shortly! If that doesn't yield anything, then we'd love to take you up on your offer of a Facebook post! I can see how the chronicle would work but we're both quite shy and i really wouldn't like being in the paper!

Fingers crossed for some progress by the end of the day!

• R
    Beginner April 2017
    Ratatatmilliecat ·
    • Hide content

Hello, I don't live in Newcastle but on a direct train route. I've just spoken to my H2B and as we're flexible with work and we'd love to help you out if you're stuck.

We could get to Newcastle about 11, plenty of time to find the registry office. We'll likely go for something to eat before getting the train home so you would be more than welcome to join us for food or if you're keen to set off on your married life we'll buy you a glass of champagne and wish you well.

Having said that the student union option sounds like it could be fun. Do whatever works best for you but if you're stuck it's a genuine offer.

• R
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so so so much for your offer, we would love to accept it Smiley smile I've just emailed you directly - if my message doesn't turn up, please let me know!

• BrideintheToon
    Beginner September 2017
    BrideintheToon ·
    • Hide content

Ah yay, sounds like you could be sorted Smiley smile I've been thinking of you! I hope you have a brilliant wedding day in Newcastle!

• R
    Beginner April 2017
    Ratatatmilliecat ·
    • Hide content

Hello, your email hasn't turned up but not sure if that's a regular occurrence via the forum. I've checked my profile settings so it may turn up yet.

I've sent you an email through the contact link and given my regular email address, hopefully you'll get it, if not we'll work something out.

We're definitely fine to help, it will be a pleasure. Very exciting and romantic.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics