Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pookie8911
Beginner April 2017

PP - My dress has arrived! Eeeek!

Pookie8911, 11 of January of 2017 at 19:50 Posted on Planning 0 9

Very excited to have received a phone call this week to say my dress is in store.... I bought it in July, and believe me this has been a horribly long wait for it to come in. But I wasn't expecting it until Feb so even better!

Few questions... Lady in shop has said I go try it on, pay my balance and pick my accessories, then I will go back for any fittings with the seamstress. I'm hoping I won't need too many of those as luckily the sample dress fit almost perfectly. Booked to go try it on next Thursday which I am SO excited for, though slightly apprehensive!

So in terms of buying accessories...I have NO idea how much things like veils should cost. I have in my mind what I'd like, but am only intending on wearing it for ceremony and probably first dance...And have a hairpiece for the evening. Am i obligated to buy it from the shop where I got my dress? How much should I be spending? Our budget is really being stretched so would like to keep costs down where I can.

9 replies

Latest activity by The Little Jewellery Box, 16 of January of 2017 at 18:51
  • Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

Woo!! Very exciting! You're not obligated at all! My veil was £32.50 but it is quite plain - it depends what you're after really xx

• T
    Beginner January 2018
    ThroughGreenEyes ·
    • Hide content

The veil I want is £178 and it's from the store I have ordered my dress from. It's a 2 tier beaded edge veil, I tried to find something similar to it online but nothing compares in the detail so I have sold stuff I didn't need anymore to help raise the money for it as £178 is alot of money especially for a veil but I know I will regret not having it.

Only spend what you can budget for unless you can sell somethings that you don't need anymore to give yourself a bigger budget.

As far as I'm aware you don't have to buy the accessories from the bridal store you have ordered your dress from you could go into another shop.

Hope this helps Smiley smile

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Squeeee!!

So exciting - share pics if you can Smiley laugh

You can buy a veil from wherever. I bought mine from the Bridal store and it cost £295 (!!!!) ?

It does go with the lace on my dress perfectly though.

You aren't obligated to buy anything at the store. Have a look around the shop, see if they do any accessories packages but if you don't love anything then by all means shop around.

There's a lady on Facebook called Pink Margaret (I think) who makes custom veils and I hear great things about her Smiley smile

xx

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Your not obligated but you might find bridal shop you purchased from willing to do you a deal

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

How very exciting!

You are absolutely not obliged to buy any accessories from them, I didn't even buy my straps from the bridal store I got my dress from. However what I did find useful was trying veils on when wearing the dress there, I just used the excuse that I needed another view point who wasn't there, before I committed, then bought a near identical one from Rainbow club through their website.

In terms of budget, absolutely depends on what you want, the shorter and plainer it is, the cheaper it will be, so only you know what type you want, 2 tier, sparkly, scalloped edging, full length (cathedral) or bra strap length (can't remember the proper name for that length) but try a few different styles on and go from there.

• Disenchanted
    Beginner May 2017
    Disenchanted ·
    • Hide content

How exciting for you ? I have had a similar experience; dress was ordered last August and told not to expect it until Feb but it was actually ready mid November!!

In terms of veils, I tried on a relatively short one (elbow length I think) and it was at least £70-£80! If you were after a full length one I think they genuinely do get very pricey. You are certainly not obliged to buy one from your bridal store, but I definitely advise trying one the ones that they stock to see which lengths you like, and that suit your dress (plus think about how your hair will be styled too). Then look online maybe as I'm sure they don't have to cost an arm and a leg!

Good luck for your appointment next week!

• L
    Beginner April 2017
    LuxuriousOrangeStationery624 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Pookie - same boat, I got an email yesterday to say that my dress is in and I am due to try it on Saturday before booking in with the seamstress. Can't wait! Though still carrying a fair bit of Christmas bloat...

My veil was from the same shop but you can buy accessories from wherever you want. The sales-people were probably over the moon that you chose to buy your dress from them, so any extra sales are a bonus.

My veil is from the shop where I bought my dress, as they threw it in for free because I went quite a way over budget. However full price it would have been £160. However I did end up buying a belt for £150 as she was decorating me in all sorts and I loved it. She knew what she was doing Smiley smile

• Pookie8911
    Beginner April 2017
    Pookie8911 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all! I am SO excited to go on Thursday, and I got a great deal on some wedding shoes which arrived yesterday, so can take those with me too! Smiley smile

Going to have a look around the internet between now and then to see if I can find exactly what I'm looking for.

Can't post any sneak peaks of me in the dress (as Miss_Conduct needs to wait until the big day ? ), but the dress is Maggie Sottero Melitta - https://www.maggiesottero.com/maggie-sottero/melitta/8219

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

That's a beautiful dress, I love the back

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Just had a look, Melitta is a stunning design!

Dont feel obligated to buy from the store. Of course, they will probably try and get you to buy from them but you truly don't have to!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics