Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner November 2016

7 weeks to the wedding and so unhappy with myself...pp

Annaangeluk2016, 24 of September of 2016 at 19:06 Posted on Planning 0 6

7 weeks tomorrow I will be getting married and I'm just so unhappy with myself. I've battled with my weight all my life so I've never been thin and in fact after losing 2 stone since getting engaged (which makes 3 stone in total!) I'm currently at my lowest adult weight, at age 37 but I still need to lose more. Probably at least another 2 stone. When I chose my dress I never had "the moment", I like it of course but I dont love it. I don't think its the wrong dress it's just I cant imagine ever looking in a mirror and thinking wow!

I had my hair trial today and again, I'm not in love with it! I've got sticky out ears which were the bain of my childhood and teenage years so I've never worn my hair up for any photos! My hairdresser was great and tried out everything but leaving my hair down just doesnt feel bridal or suit the dress/wedding etc! We've found a style that doesnt totally cover my ears but hides the elfy bit! So again, its ok but I dont feel that super confident bride thing! In addition to the weight and elf ears, my teeth are less than perfect which I'm very self concious about! And that's in addition to the usual wrinkles etc stress oh and a dodgy tattoo on my shoulder that cant be covered!! When I'm nervous or have an alcoholic drink I tend to flush bright red across my chest and neck! know I'm painting a picture of a complete stunner!!

What's not helping is that I've basically been ill for the last six months. Got crippling joint pains, constant dizziness and nausea and overwhelming exhaustion. Waiting on test results and its been indicated that rheumatoid arthritis or fibromialgia are possible. I feel like an old lady hobbling around and its starting to get me down.

I'm not a perfectionist and didnt think that getting engaged would mean I would wake up like a model bride but I have never felt so self critical and lacking confidence!! I'm dreading my photos already and now feeling overwhelmed with it all! I know my oh loves me and wants to marry me even though I look like a fat elf but I just want to look in the mirror on the day and think that yes, I look beautiful!

Sorry for the long ramble!!

Anna xx

6 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsTz, 26 of September of 2016 at 10:58
  • J
    Beginner November 2016
    JadeyPops98 ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, you sound exactly like me. There is so much I wish I could change about myself (bad teeth, large pores etc) and I promised myself I would tone up my shoulders and arms before the wedding, but like you, I have only six weeks to go and I'm so annoyed at myself for not doing it and not losing more weight. I know it's easily said but I promise you I know how it feels. That being said you should be so proud of yourself for losing that weight! And if you've been ill that isn't going to help your self esteem as it always makes any situation seem worse. My plan at this point is to be as healthy as I can before the wedding, eating loads of veggies and drinking loads of water, I think that's the only way to feel my best as a bride. Just try to relax abit, your OH loves you and everyone at your wedding knows you anf loves you just as you are, you will look stunning because you will be glowing with happiness.

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi.

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so unhappy.

I got married 3 weeks ago and beforehand i had lots of similar concerns. I tried to lose as much weight as i could but i simply got to a plateau and had to just accept it. I suffer from Rosacea and bad skin, so hate being photographed but my make up artist worked wonders and i didn't feel self conscious at all. I too can't drink without turning red because i get the Asian flush so the only way to avoid this was to stay away from the booze.

I never have my hair up because I'm aware of my moon face so i had my hair down on the big day. It's important that you feel relaxed and happy with your look.

Please trust me when i say that the day will whizz by in a flash so you'll want to enjoy every minute. Try and find little tricks and tips to feel more comfortable (such as figure flattering underwear) and do whatever you need to feel relaxed and happy.

I'm certain that you will look fabulous on your big day and that your OH will be blown away. ?

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Before our wedding I was ill and put a lot of weight on so much so my dress was altered from a zip to a lace up so I know how you feel about not feeling your best on your wedding day.

But

This is not the first time your groom has saw you. This isn't the first time your family and friends who love you dearly has seen you. They know you, they know what you worry about. Your husband to be has chosen to marry you! Your gorgeous in his eyes.

Dad used to always say to me. Whenever I'm in a room I would always see the three girls who are prettier for some reason in my eyes, but and a big but I would never see the girls who are not prettier. It's human instinct hon

Please enjoy your special day xx

• S
    Beginner November 2016
    StarCRM ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in about seven weeks too and, similar to you, I've lost three stones since I got engaged but still not overly happy with how I am (if someone had told me two years ago that I was going to lose three stones, I would have imagined myself much skinnier than I actually am now!!).

I know this is easier said than done but I do think it's too easy to just look at all the things we dislike about ourselves and not focus on the positives. You should be really proud of yourself for losing weight. Don't focus on what you still have to lose - focus on what's already gone and what a difference you've made already. I bet nobody else will notice the things that worry you, like your ears.

When I look at photos of brides on Facebook etc, what I really notice is that they look happy. That's when they look most beautiful and that's all that really matters.

I really feel for you with the pain that you're suffering as well!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree he loves YOU as you are. He wouldn't have asked you to marry him otherwise would he? We all have hang ups about the way we look and want to look perfect (in our eyes) on our wedding day. But to him you already looked wonderful so you will look beautiful to him on your wedding day regardless. As someone who always had a major hang up about sticky out ears all my life imagine how mortified I felt when I had to have Chemo. The plus side was it taught me my ears weren't as bad as i always felt they were and other people saw me, not my ears! That said I fully understand that hang up and if you feel much more comfortable with your hair down then go for it. Experiment with different styles. For instance can you curl all or some of it. A braid here or there. I only had enough hair grow back for a very short style for my wedding but there are no rules that wedding hair has to be long or up. Have whatever you like. We all hide what makes us feel insecure so if you want to hide your ears then do so. X

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Please don't be too hard on yourself - losing three stone is a massive achievement, & whilst you might not notice a big difference in how you look because you've seen yourself in the mirror every day gradually getting smaller, I bet others do notice it!

You will look beautiful on your wedding day because you'll be beaming with happiness aside from everything else, & I bet once the dress is on & all your fittings are done, with your hair & make up done, you'll feel a million dollars!

There's so much pressure on us brides to make sure everything looks & feels 100% perfect on our wedding day because it's not something you get the opportunity to do every day, that I think we give ourselves such a hard time, usually uneccesarily so!

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, well done for the weight you have lost so far! It's really hard to lose weight so the fact that you have lost 3 stone is something to be really proud of. When you have your hair and makeup done, your dress will look totally different, and I'm sure when you're looking at yourself all ready to go with flowers, veil etc then I'm sure you'll look and feel fantastic. Your H2B is marrying you because he loves you for who you are and I'm sure he will think you look stunning! As will your family and friends!

For the dodgy tattoo you could always wear a bolero if you really don't want to show it. I'm sure you can get make-up for tattoos (think I saw this on another site like Hitched). Also for your hair, you could add braids or even little hair jewels or some sparkles to make it feel more bridal.

I think every bride has something that they wish they could change. My problem is that I have adult acne that seems to flair up badly for no reason and always at the wrong times!! No amount of pills or creams or anything cures it so I will have to just go with how it looks on the day. I get it on my shoulders and back as well and I have a strapless dress ☹️ If they can't cover it with make-up I'm hoping the photographer has photo shop lol!!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics