Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner February 2017

Minimum spend Venue 8k???

LoveisLovlier, 1 of September of 2016 at 20:46 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi everyone!

We got engaged a few weeks ago but we've decided to go for a Feb 2017 wedding. We found a Venue in Sheffield (where we live) which is a lovely restaurant in a gorgeous part of Sheffield. It's available on our date and they are asking for a minimum spend of between 8-9k. They are designing our menu for us so we're not sure how much it will be per head yet for food. Wine is about £16 a bottle and prosecco is £27.

I think we're wanting to spend about £4k on food or drink. There are rooms attached (10 at £100 each, which comes off the minimum spend) but as a lot of my fiancé's family are from Sheffield, I'm not sure if we'll fill them all.

We're thinking about 100-120 guests - do people think we'll hit the minimum spend with people buying drinks at the bar? We don't want to be stuck paying extra thousands the morning after the wedding if we don't hit it!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies

Latest activity by LalaC1988, 4 of September of 2016 at 09:32
  • MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Which restaurant is that? If the prosseco is £27 a bottle you shouldn't have an issue with that many people. My OH had a birthday party at a pub that came to a lot of money through the bar at the end. Just be aware that guests who have a problem about the price of drinks in a bar might nip out to Costco and the venue will possibly charge (fine) you if guests bring their own drinks so I'd make our clear on your invites that it's not byob.

I asked which venue it is because my OH is a bar manager /restaurant manager so if I give him an idea of menu price and guest numbers he's got a better idea than me. :-)

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

Hi and congratulations on your engagement.

How long will guests be at the venue for to reach the minimum spend?

I like certainty so wouldn't like not knowing until the next morning. Although with guest numbers of atleast 100 I don't think you would have a problem reaching the min spend or if you don't you wouldn't be far out. by the time you have taken the cost of food off, I'm guessing the spend left for drinks would be about £40 per person and that's without any rooms being booked. Although some guests may not drink and you would have to make sure that people staying don't have a stash of alcohol in their room. Is the minimum spend in place of a hire charge or is there a hire charge as well?

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Just a tip- if you haven't already then do clarify with the venue that the minimum spend does include money spent over the bar- our venue has a 6.5k minimum spend but they don't count bar takings against it! Definitely worth checking if you're going to be relying on bar takings to hit your minimum!

• L
    Beginner February 2017
    LoveisLovlier ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies ?.

There is no hire charge as well and the minimum spend does include all bar takings.

Although the prosecco is quite pricey there are loads of different prices of drinks so I don't think any of our guests would have a problem with the bar prices (most of our friends drink there anyway! It's the Florentine). I don't think any of our guests would BYOB and there isn't a nearby supermarket anyway ?.

My main concern is that quite a lot of my family don't drink that much (although my finance's family and all our friends do) - when I said to my mum you'd be looking at about £30 spend per person she immediately said she wouldn't spend anywhere near that - although as she doesn't drink she's not a normal barometer!

I think the guests will probably arrive about 4pm and the bar is open til 1pm (later for guests staying over). We'll obviously do a welcome drink and wine with food though.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Seriously, consider elsewhere. I don't think you would make that amount of money back, just thinking of my immediate family husband and friends none of us would be spending that much. Bottles of wine was 15 at my venue, and even my higher drinker friends wasn't impressed with that.

We Nearly Fell into the trap of having to fill rooms, and people who lived locally all said they'd rather their own bed! Who wants to spend 100 to sleep locally anyway.

Or at least expect to be handing money over the morning after the wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics