Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

rach_217
Beginner June 2016

My Wedding Report - 4th June 2016 *Flash Heavy*

rach_217, 4 of July of 2016 at 17:24 Posted on Planning 0 28

So a month today was my big day and the happiest day of my life, finally I am sitting down to write my report, share my day with you lovely hitchers & to relive the day all over again!

Bit of Background

Myself and my husband met at University over 12 and a half years ago, it wan't love at first sight for either of us I don't think! I was pretty drunk, and he was very quiet - I am anything but! We lived next door to each other in our second year and after the first meeting, myself and my housemates become friends with him and his housemates. One night out we found ourselves sitting next to each other and we just had such a laugh, messing about and I think that is the night we both realised was like each other as more than just friends. We spent the next 3 months falling madly in love, we spent as much time together as possible and the rest is history! I stayed in Sheffield to be with him during his final year of Uni as his course was longer than mine, they we set up home together in Manchester where we still live.

The Proposal

My other half is not romantic, he never really has been so our engagement story is anything but! We starting discussing wanting to get married, and whilst waiting for him to propose everyone I knew seemed to be getting engaged or having babies - I won't lie when I say I started to get jealous. Little did I know he had been looking at rings and researching Jewellers but felt the pressure of choosing the perfect ring! In the end one random day, I don't even know how it came about he said - let's just go and buy a ring & so we did! No romantic proposal, very matter of fact but perfect as we had a great day in Birmingham looking at rings & diamonds and I have my perfect ring!

The Day Before

My wedding was on a Saturday, I had the Thursday off work but that was boring stuff - packing for our honeymoon, and cleaning - the day before things got real! We headed off into town, Danny (my hubby) to get a couple of bits for his best men, and me to get my engagement ring cleaned ready for the big day! We grabbed some lunch, and then it was time for us to go our separate ways! I went off to get my mum from the train station, and he to finish his packing and wait for his brother (best man) to arrive. On picking my mum up I went off to get my dress, and after picking it up we went to get pampered, getting our finger & toe nails done! It was a lovely afternoon spent with my mum, we went for dinner after the salon, had a few glasses of fizz and then went to the hotel to relax and get an early night! Wow the hotel was amazing, I knew it before but on checking into the room I was going to get ready in I knew it was going to be a great day - we had so much space! After a glass of champagne before bed, I hit the sack hoping to be able to get some sleep! I managed a few restless hours, and then....

The Day of

I woke up early but then I am an early riser anyway as I often start work at 6/6:30am so that wasn't that much of a surprise, I made a coffee and just tried to relax whilst waiting for my mum to wake up - I knew she'd text me the moment she did & we'd planned to go for breakfast at 8am so I just enjoyed this time by myself. Try and have a short bit of time yourself in the morning if you can, once everyone arrives it gets pretty hectic and the day just starts to fly by! Myself and Mum went down to the restaurant for breakfast, and were greeted by the hotel manager - I was starting to feel pretty nervous at this point and so she tried to calm my nerves with some free champagne - a lovely touch with breakfast and definitely helped me calm down! Fast forward an hour, my make up artist, hairdresser and my 2 bridesmaids arrived. We had an absolutely amazing time getting ready, it was perfect - lots of fizz, laughs & reminiscing.

We even all enjoyed a room service lunch, to make sure we absorbed some of the alcohol ?

So once we were all fed and watered it was time to get into the dress, I fell in love with my dress the moment I first put it on, I had the this is it moment and I loved it as much on the day as I did the first time I put it on...

Once my dress was on, my Dad and my brother in law arrived with my niece & nephew and the bridal party was complete.....here are a few photos of myself & the bridal party once we were finally all ready to roll!

This is where things took a slight tun for the worse, something that I think every Bride must dread - my Mum stood on my dress and yes you guessed it you heard it rip - I hadn't even left my room! My poor Mum was absolutely mortified, I think she almost burst into tears but against all odds I stayed calm. Something seems to take over you on the day, and the little things just don't matter - I was there, Danny was there, all my friends and family were there & I was just having the best day. I made sure my Mum knew I didn't care, it was one of those things - the last thing I wanted to do was ruin her experience and so what it was a small tear at the back - no one knew and no one noticed! And it actually made me less precious over it later on, it is dirty and ripped but I know it shows the fabulous party we had!

This is me telling my Mum to calm down - I love this photo!

So whilst all this drama was going on in the Bride's room my Gorgeous Groom and the rest of our guests were arriving and enjoying the sun on the roof terrace...he was actually very chilled out!

The Groom, his 2 Best Men and our fabulous on the day wedding coordinator - she was an absolute godsend!

And then it was time to get started, we each had a short chat with the registrar and then Hannah our on the day coordinator came to get me and lead us up to the roof! This is where my nerves really started to kick in, I never expected to be so nervous but they really took over me, I had to keep taking deep breathes and try to steady my hand! It was a bit of a trip to get to the roof - lifts & stairs didn't help!

Once we made it to the roof we were ready to go........

(I hope you have enjoyed reading this so far, I have gone a bit flash heavy as I just love the photos and hopefully they help tell the story of the day, as I am not so good with the words)

I will be back with more soon......

28 replies

Latest activity by Pooba, 12 of July of 2016 at 11:27
  • rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

On the rooftop and ready to go, this is one of my biggest regrets of the day - rushing the walk down the aisle! I don't know how it happened, it all passed in a bit of a blur but I remember my Dad telling me to slow down but at that point it was too late. I wish the hotel had separated us up a bit, or we'd practised more. I should have judged it better myself on the day but you I made it down the aisle without slipping over, we all just ended up a bit bunched up!

I walked down the aisle to Ingrid Michaelson's version of Can't Help Falling in Love, it was absolutely beautiful and a couple of people mentioned how lovely it was. I fell in love with it the minute I heard it, and was so glad I chose it.

We had quite a short ceremony, no additional vows, and 2 short readings, my lovely Mother in Law read a poem for us, On your Wedding Day, it was beautiful and it gave me a moment to relax and calm my nerves a litte...

We then made our declaration and said our vows, before my sister read an extract from Captain Correlli's Mandolin - Love is a temporary Madness, I read this at her wedding so I really loved that she was willing to read it at mine, she had a little wobble where she nearly cried but got through it...

Then came the exchanging of the rings, and we were announced as Husband & Wife...

Our first kiss as a married couple!

We did the paperwork, signing the register - we had 2 songs whilst we did this but I will be honest I barely heard the music! We had Better Together, Jack Johnson and I'm Yours, Jason Mhraz! After being handed our marriage certificate, we walked out of the ceremony to Stevie Wonder Signed, Sealed, Delivered and were greeted by the hotel with a glass of champers! As the guests started to walk out we ended up doing a mini receiving line, as everyone hugged us and congratulated us, it was lovely to spend 5 minutes speaking to everyone as the bride you don't get chance before the ceremony - everyone grabbed their own glass of bubbles and it was time to enjoy the sun and for me to get a chance to relax!

Whilst everyone enjoyed the drinks reception we headed off for some photos of our own and a bit of a chance to catch our breath and say WE DID IT!!! Here are a few of the posed photos we had:

We also had the usual group shots - one recommendation I would make is to assign the job to your best men/bridesmaids to round people up for these, I gave my guys a list each so they knew who was up next and it worked really well and there wasn't much waiting around for people!

After the photos we were back with our guests, chatting and enjoying a drink, and then it was time for the BBQ!!

As you can see we had beautiful weather, and a fabulous rooftop and we took full advantage of this by having a BBQ, sadly I only had a small plate of food (thank god for the room service earlier) but everyone commented on how lovely the food was and I think people really enjoyed and embraced the informal atmosphere we wanted to create! We had burgers, sausages, chicken, salmon, prawns and all the accompaniments you can think of! Potatoes, pasta, salad, corn! A massive summer BBQ!

After everyone had had their fill of food we moved onto the speeches - this has to be one of my favourite parts of the day, they all smashed their speeches. My Dad went first, he's a very funny guy and fairly comfortable speaking in public - he spoke about my accident prone childhood, made quite a few jokes but also said some lovely things about me, and my husband. I am really close to my Dad, a proper little Daddy's girl - so everyone was looking forward to his speech and he definitely didn't disappoint! I'm not entirely sure what he is saying here but I love this photo!!

Then onto the Groom, he gave a short but lovely speech thanking me for the effort I put into planning the whole day and acknowledging the support of both sets of parents. He thanked the Bridesmaids for helping me get ready in the morning, albeit got a little dig in about my high maintenance ways!

And then in a slight change from traditional we moved on to my bridesmaid - Lucy - she is my oldest friend and I've known her for a long time - I am not overly close to my husband's family so I wanted them to get to know me a little bit and she didn't disappoint! Her speech was absolutely incredible, she embarrassed me, mainly with stories of our childhood - boys & alcohol and lots of both apparently! She made me cry talking about how proud of me she is for changing my life, I lost a lot of weight, gave up the 9 to 5 and set up my own business as a Personal Trainer!

!

And then finally on to the Best Men - Danny had 2, his brother and his best mate and they both said a few words. His brother did the more sentimental part of the speech and Tom his best mate told a few of the more embarrassing stories!

We laughed a lot during the speeches, they were absolutely incredible!

Once the speeches were over it was time to move the seats out and set up the dance floor, our evening guests started to arrive and the party started!

First Up - Cutting the Cake! I absolutely loved my cake, it was one of the things I was most worried about prior to the day as my baker had never made the type of cake we requested - but it was perfect! We went for a Naked Chocolate Brownie Cake - not only did it look incredible it tasted amazing! I love chocolate and the cake was just awesome! It was pretty tough to cut though!!

And then the first dance, our first dance song was actually my husband's choice - we had the Courteeners Take over the World, possibly wouldn't have been my choice but it worked amazing! My husband mentioned a while ago that the words rang true to him about us, and when he played it to me - it was just the most romantic thing I had tears in my eyes so we went with it! Anyway who hasn't heard it here are the lyrics at the beginning...

I looked into her eyes and I swore

I've never written a cliche before
    And I'll probably never do so
    She was beautiful though
    I think it's time for me and you to take over the world
    I'm only a paperboy from the North West
    But I can scrub up well in my Sunday best
    How could I ever do for you?
    Because I'm true and I'm real and this is how I feel

We then get everyone else up dancing, and partied the night away - we danced until the small hours ending the evening with Ed Sheeran Thinking Out Loud, a last minute decision as I had always wanted this song somewhere in our wedding!

As we got back to the room the realisation that it was all over hit me, and I had a slight breakdown - I didn't want to take my dress off, and was so sad that I was no longer a Bride! I had the best day, everything was perfect and I am still so sad that it's all over! I look at my photos nearly every day and love that I get to share them with you all!

I hope you all enjoyed reading my report, I will stick around on the forums to hopefully help some of you guys with your planning!

Lots of love, the new Mrs Calter xx

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

On the rooftop and ready to go, this is one of my biggest regrets of the day - rushing the walk down the aisle! I don't know how it happened, it all passed in a bit of a blur but I remember my Dad telling me to slow down but at that point it was too late. I wish the hotel had separated us up a bit, or we'd practised more. I should have judged it better myself on the day but you I made it down the aisle without slipping over, we all just ended up a bit bunched up!

I walked down the aisle to Ingrid Michaelson's version of Can't Help Falling in Love, it was absolutely beautiful and a couple of people mentioned how lovely it was. I fell in love with it the minute I heard it, and was so glad I chose it.

We had quite a short ceremony, no additional vows, and 2 short readings, my lovely Mother in Law read a poem for us, On your Wedding Day, it was beautiful and it gave me a moment to relax and calm my nerves a litte...

We then made our declaration and said our vows, before my sister read an extract from Captain Correlli's Mandolin - Love is a temporary Madness, I read this at her wedding so I really loved that she was willing to read it at mine, she had a little wobble where she nearly cried but got through it...

Then came the exchanging of the rings, and we were announced as Husband & Wife...

Our first kiss as a married couple!

We did the paperwork, signing the register - we had 2 songs whilst we did this but I will be honest I barely heard the music! We had Better Together, Jack Johnson and I'm Yours, Jason Mhraz! After being handed our marriage certificate, we walked out of the ceremony to Stevie Wonder Signed, Sealed, Delivered and were greeted by the hotel with a glass of champers! As the guests started to walk out we ended up doing a mini receiving line, as everyone hugged us and congratulated us, it was lovely to spend 5 minutes speaking to everyone as the bride you don't get chance before the ceremony - everyone grabbed their own glass of bubbles and it was time to enjoy the sun and for me to get a chance to relax!

Whilst everyone enjoyed the drinks reception we headed off for some photos of our own and a bit of a chance to catch our breath and say WE DID IT!!! Here are a few of the posed photos we had:

We also had the usual group shots - one recommendation I would make is to assign the job to your best men/bridesmaids to round people up for these, I gave my guys a list each so they knew who was up next and it worked really well and there wasn't much waiting around for people!

After the photos we were back with our guests, chatting and enjoying a drink, and then it was time for the BBQ!!

As you can see we had beautiful weather, and a fabulous rooftop and we took full advantage of this by having a BBQ, sadly I only had a small plate of food (thank god for the room service earlier) but everyone commented on how lovely the food was and I think people really enjoyed and embraced the informal atmosphere we wanted to create! We had burgers, sausages, chicken, salmon, prawns and all the accompaniments you can think of! Potatoes, pasta, salad, corn! A massive summer BBQ!

After everyone had had their fill of food we moved onto the speeches - this has to be one of my favourite parts of the day, they all smashed their speeches. My Dad went first, he's a very funny guy and fairly comfortable speaking in public - he spoke about my accident prone childhood, made quite a few jokes but also said some lovely things about me, and my husband. I am really close to my Dad, a proper little Daddy's girl - so everyone was looking forward to his speech and he definitely didn't disappoint! I'm not entirely sure what he is saying here but I love this photo!!

Then onto the Groom, he gave a short but lovely speech thanking me for the effort I put into planning the whole day and acknowledging the support of both sets of parents. He thanked the Bridesmaids for helping me get ready in the morning, albeit got a little dig in about my high maintenance ways!

And then in a slight change from traditional we moved on to my bridesmaid - Lucy - she is my oldest friend and I've known her for a long time - I am not overly close to my husband's family so I wanted them to get to know me a little bit and she didn't disappoint! Her speech was absolutely incredible, she embarrassed me, mainly with stories of our childhood - boys & alcohol and lots of both apparently! She made me cry talking about how proud of me she is for changing my life, I lost a lot of weight, gave up the 9 to 5 and set up my own business as a Personal Trainer!

!

And then finally on to the Best Men - Danny had 2, his brother and his best mate and they both said a few words. His brother did the more sentimental part of the speech and Tom his best mate told a few of the more embarrassing stories!

We laughed a lot during the speeches, they were absolutely incredible!

Once the speeches were over it was time to move the seats out and set up the dance floor, our evening guests started to arrive and the party started!

First Up - Cutting the Cake! I absolutely loved my cake, it was one of the things I was most worried about prior to the day as my baker had never made the type of cake we requested - but it was perfect! We went for a Naked Chocolate Brownie Cake - not only did it look incredible it tasted amazing! I love chocolate and the cake was just awesome! It was pretty tough to cut though!!

And then the first dance, our first dance song was actually my husband's choice - we had the Courteeners Take over the World, possibly wouldn't have been my choice but it worked amazing! My husband mentioned a while ago that the words rang true to him about us, and when he played it to me - it was just the most romantic thing I had tears in my eyes so we went with it! Anyway who hasn't heard it here are the lyrics at the beginning...

I looked into her eyes and I swore

I've never written a cliche before
    And I'll probably never do so
    She was beautiful though
    I'm only a paperboy from the North West
    But I can scrub up well in my Sunday best
    How could I ever do for you?
    Because I'm true and I'm real and this is how I feel

We then get everyone else up dancing, and partied the night away - we danced until the small hours ending the evening with Ed Sheeran Thinking Out Loud, a last minute decision as I had always wanted this song somewhere in our wedding!

As we got back to the room the realisation that it was all over hit me, and I had a slight breakdown - I didn't want to take my dress off, and was so sad that I was no longer a Bride! I had the best day, everything was perfect and I am still so sad that it's all over! I look at my photos nearly every day and love that I get to share them with you all!

I hope you all enjoyed reading my report, I will stick around on the forums to hopefully help some of you guys with your planning!

Lots of love, the new Mrs Calter xx

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

Apologies it seems to have duplicated my second post!!

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh a lovely report and lovely photos. You look beautiful. Congratulations x

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Ahh rach you looked beautiful and it was all stunning. We had the same song to walk down the aisle too, the same reading too. All the best to the two of you your wedding looked amazing x

• M
    Beginner July 2016
    mrsrobinson16 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, a lovely report. You looked stunning!

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and post your report Rach.... what a wonderful story and your pictures are fantastic- they really capture the emotions and fun you had!

I absolutely love your dress and you were and absolutely STUNNING bride! Congratulations to you both!

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Rach, congratulations to you and your Mr - you had a truly beautiful day Smiley smile Absolutely loved reading this!

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations - you looked amazing & your photos are beautiful! Hope you're enjoying married life! ?

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Rach you look totally stunning and your day looks amazing!

I'm so pleased you had a good time and thank you for sharing with us Smiley smile

x

• D
    Beginner September 2016
    donkey86 ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely read Smiley smile Your photos are great and your dress looks AMAZING on you! I hope I can look as good in mine!

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations lovely! Especially love the photo of you and your Oh on the bed!

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments, it really was such an amazing day & I'm glad you all enjoyed reading about it & seeing all my photos xx

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

I love your photos! They are gorgeous! and you looked stunning! Congratulations xx

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I loved this report! It's all beautiful, the photos are fab, you're a stunner! Gorgeous flowers and cake. I love Take over the World. I remember seeing it on here before but I couldn't remember who mentioned it. Enjoy married life!

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow! Such a lovely report and never apologise for too many flashes are there is no such thing.

You and your husband, look so happy and comfortable together, beautiful couple and beautiful pictures!

• C
    Beginner November 2017
    CantwaittobeMrsDavies17 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations you look absolutely stunning and your pics are fab! Enjoy marital bliss xx

• Ginguar
    Beginner May 1975
    Ginguar ·
    • Hide content

Great report, love all the flashes, glad you have a fabulous day.

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Lovely wedding report. Thanks for sharing. I hope to read more over the next month or so ?

• R
    Beginner April 2017
    Ratatatmilliecat ·
    • Hide content

Great report, you look beautiful and your wedding looks amazing. We're getting married at the same venue next year, now I'm really excited. Congratulations to you both.

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments, it means a lot ?

Ooh Ratatatmilliecat how exciting - it's such a beautiful hotel & the staff are absolutely amazing. They can't do enough for you. We were made to feel so welcome & at ease from the minute I arrived the night before until the moment we left, we were made to feel like royalty! Massive VIP Treatment it's just fabulous! ??

• Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

Fab report! Congratulations! xx

• M
    Beginner April 2017
    MrsJ_ToBe ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!! Sounds like you had a fab day with some beautiful photos Smiley smile x

• R
    Beginner May 2017
    rlong405 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Looks like an amazing day

Sorry if I missed it but what venue is this please?

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you - It was the Great John Street Hotel in Manchester xx

• rachietown
    Beginner July 2016
    rachietown ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

What an absolutely gorgeous wedding, you look so beautiful. Lovely photographs!

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    lavenderblue ·
    • Hide content

All very lovely Smiley smile congratulations!

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations to you and your OH! Fantastic report, thanks so much for sharing with us Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics