Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charliebob
Beginner May 2016

Signing off, and a bit of advice for B2B's.

Charliebob, 26 of May of 2016 at 06:41 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hello all,

So I get married on Saturday. I cannot believe the day is finally here.. so all those Bride's planning a year or two in advance, TRUST ME it flies by. Before I go though just a few things that may help other brides, a few little things I have learnt over the past year and a half.

1. It doesn't matter how organised you are you will still be in a made rush before your wedding. I would advise if you can to take a week to 3 days off before your big day from work. I have been rushing around the entire week sorting things out, if it wasn't getting my nails done it was popping to the dry cleaners or picking up my wedding dress.

2. Everyone and I mean everyone at some point gets dress wobbles or dress envy. It's so understandable when sites like Pinterest are around, just remember why you chose your dress and you must have had a connection with it at some point that can always be rekindled. However if you are seriously unhappy then change it.. I'm on dress number 3!

3. When it gets nearer to the big day the little things don't bother you so much. There are so many things that could go wrong, and there are 2 suppliers that are still peeing us around. I have no idea if I'm going to have a cake topper yet or whether my giant LOVE sign will turn up on the day! But at the end of the day..what will be will be. If I stress about the silly little things it will take away what this day really is about; marrying my OH.

4. Please get wedding insurance! Honestly I was like should I bother? Yes, yes yes! Unfortunately some suppliers shouldn't be in the game and I am shocked how some get away with treating clients the way they do. Even if they lure you in and seem very friendly and the communication is great..once they have your money SOME and I mean only a small some then suddenly disappear off the face of the earth, and are a nightmare to get hold of.

5. Pay for things when you can, we planned over a year and a half for our big day. After contributions of around £4k from parents, my partner and I managed to scrimp and get £5 ourselves for our big day. The best thing is we will come out with no debt but I do believe paying things off bit by bit helps you stay on top of your outgoings and know that you can only spend what you can afford. That way it doesn't come to 6 weeks before the wedding and everything is left outstanding to pay.

6. Try and get your dress as soon as you possibly can. I left it 9 months before and apparently that was cutting it fine, it could be different for other shops and suppliers but it came in so late I have only had a chance to try it on twice and have alterations that I NEED this dress to look good today or well, im screwed lol I really do think it would have been nicer to go back a few times and get used to it before the big day.

7. Look around for quotes and give newbies a chance. One great thing about wedding fayres is meeting new suppliers to the field. I'm not saying those without any experience but you would be surprised how much cheaper their introductory prices are. Our photographers had shot around 10 wedding when we met them, their portfolios were outstanding, we got out package from them for £400. A year later they have now done around 50+ weddings and their package that we have is now £900 (A whopping saving of £500!). Same with chair covers we got them for £1.50 per chairs when we found that all others wanted £2-2.50 a chair, and every little helps!

8. Remember you are you still on your big day. It's so easy to get lost in the big poofy dress, but get something that you like and resembles you. If my nan had her way she would of had me in the biggest dress on display, dipped me in glitter and added a tiara or even two. However that isn't me. I wanted a more plain, less bling and no tiara look! Stick to your guns, and trust your instincts.

9. Family are a nightmare. Family stick their ore in left right and centre. They are only trying to help.. but sometimes you wish they wouldnt. We are decorating the venue tomorrow and I have just worked out 20 family members have just invited themselves to help out. It doesn't bother me though, but it's quite sweet that they are all just as excited as you are and want to embrace in the entire weekend of celebrations. Sometimes though you have to say no.

10. You don't have to go with the norm. Again personalise things to your day. You also don't need to do everything traditionally. So many things these days are americanised. Expensive hen/stag doos or buying gifts to ask BM's to be your BM. It all seems sweet, however in the grand scheme of things especially if your on a budget just having them there on your day is enough and the sentiment should be enough.

Anyways that's all I can think of so far and the day hasn't even come around yet. I think I can start the celebrations now though can't I? I'll try and update you next week after the big day and of course show a few pics. So over and out girlies, thanks for all the help and support over the past year and a bit xxxx.

10 replies

Latest activity by Shikaka1984, 27 of May of 2016 at 14:04
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Great advise Charliebob. Have a truly wonderful wedding day and all the best for your future together. Look forward to reading about your day on the other side. Xx

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

Good luck for your wedding on Saturday & thank you for this post. I get married a week on Saturday & am getting into the stresses & nervousness of the last few weeks. I am lucky I only work part time, I run my own business & May is quiet so I have time to do things but do finish fully on Wednesday next week so hopefully not too much rushing around next week! Your advice has been really helpful to read today!

I hope you have the most amazing day xxx

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Great advice Charliebob - wishing you a magnificent wedding day! xx

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Good luck and congratulations- may the sun shine and the letters arrive and light up and everything go exactly to plan... Failing that, may you just have the best day ever no matter what as you become a wife! Thank you for your words of wisdom- some very good advice there!

• NorthernLights
    Beginner November 2017
    NorthernLights ·
    • Hide content

Wow, some great advice, got a year and a half left to lan ours and all of this just really helped!
    Good luck on your Big Day! and enjoyyyyyyyyyy!!! xxxx

• rachietown
    Beginner July 2016
    rachietown ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for this great advice Charliebob. Enjoy your day! xx

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    kay_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice and all the best for your big day! Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner November 2017
    CantwaittobeMrsDavies17 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the fab advice - I will definitely use this!! Have a fantastic day, enjoy every second - wishing you all the best xx

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your advice! Good luck for Saturday (not that you need luck!) have a fantastic day and come back to share some pics with us! xx

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

Good luck Charliebob - I completely agree with all of this. Although if I'd read it even a few months ago there is no way I'd have believed it!

Good luck to everyone else still at that stage, it will all be ok Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

Great advice Charliebob. ?

Enjoy your big day. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics