Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2015

Photographer didnt show up - how to deal with him?

lindabelle66, 4 of October of 2015 at 10:46 Posted on Just Married 0 12

Hi All

We got married on Tuesday 29th September, a very small affair. We had booked and paid for in full a professional photographer to meet us at a fabulous venue on the afternoon of our wedding to take photos of just the two of us in our wedding clothes. We were actually en route to the venue, when approximately 2.5 hours before we were due to meet him, we received A TEXT from his wife saying he couldn't make it as he was ill and had been for 2 days. No suggestion of a stand in being sent, or any names of anyone else we could contact at short notice to do the shoot for us. We were devastated, furious and very upset that this man had left it til the last minute before telling us there was a problem, and there we were at our venue all dressed up with beautiful gardens and scenery all around us in beautiful weather with no photographer.

My question is this - how to deal with him. Obviously we want our money back and SOON. We managed to pull in a huge favour from a friend who is a keen amateur photographer, but we had to wait til Thursday before he could do the shoot. His style is lovely but not what we had originally wanted, and obviously the photos havnt actually been taken on our wedding day itself. I had to have my hair redone at a local salon, there were additional expenses in the way of travel/phone calls and paying our friends travel from his home to us (over 100 mile round trip).

The photographer nor his wife wont answer their phones, insisting he is now in hospital. Correspondance since Tuesday has only been by text. I want our money back and compensation and to put this horrible experience behind us. If he is genuinely ill I want to appear reasonable, but also I want the matter sorted to my satisfaction and quickly.

Can anyone suggest what my next move should be please?

Linda

12 replies

Latest activity by Neil Walker Photography, 10 of December of 2015 at 11:54
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

What an absolute wedding nightmare!

Firstly I think I wouldn't mention you have some pictures. I think I would want a full refund, a complimentary shoot when he's recovered, him to cover any travel, hair do expenses to do so.

He may genuinely be extremely ill but I find it strange they left it to two hours before and he has no arrangements for anyone to cover in an emergency.

I also think others need to know this is the situation you were left in. How that goes with a free shoot I don't know.

I'm shocked this has happened. It's made me realise a one man company who has an accident or illness beforehand is simply not there leaving you with nothing.

Will be following this with interest to see how you go on. I would definately keep nagging for a quick refund.

Did you have a written agreement?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Have you heard anything at all?

• L
    Beginner September 2015
    lindabelle66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi. Havnt heard a sound from his wife since Thursday when she texted he'd been taken into hospital with appendicitis. I don't know how long to leave it before either texting / ringing them or even just filling in the small claims paperwork, want to appear reasonable but at the same time totally fed up and out if pocket having paid someone else!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think I would text saying that although you're sympathetic it is now x long since your wedding, you paid for a service you didn't receive and you expect a full refund quickly.

In fairness my OH is self employed although in a completely business but I would be capable of finding his check book and writing you a cheque which I could then get him to sign when I visited him in the hospital. I would also say it's all I can do at the moment but as soon as he is out of hospital he will be in touch with you personally. Anything else could be sorted out later.

He may have needed an op but he's not at deaths door. Am I mean? I don't think it's unreasonable.

• L
    Beginner September 2015
    lindabelle66 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies folks

We have no insurance (ours was a very small wedding and we didn't think it necessary), and stupidly it didn't even cross my mind to ask the photographer what his contingency plans were - he has other photographers working with him and we assumed they would cover him in the event he couldn't attend. We havnt even got a contract, only receipts for the monies paid which give the date the shoot was booked for.

He has contacted me this morning promising a refund/compensation but no indication of when, im fed up with the whole sorry story and just wish id asked more questions when I made the booking. Fortunately we have our friends photos to fall back on, so it could have been a lot worse. As my now husband said at the time, the important bit had already been done (the ceremony)

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad you have at least heard from him now and he obviously realises some sort of compensation is in order. Would you be able to dress up again and have some pics taken? What a nightmare.

• B
    Beginner April 2016
    BridalBear ·
    • Hide content

I think you're being completely reasonable - yes, it's not his fault he was ill, but if you run a small business you have to have contingency. He should have had a system in place for this. I would give him a deadline and say that whilst sympathetic you are distressed that there was no contingency and will be seeking legal advice if you do not get it settled by that date.

• kelsielowphotography
    kelsielowphotography ·
    • Hide content

There is no excuse at all for your photographer arranging for another wedding photographer to be at your venue as agreed. As a professional wedding photographer myself, I always ensure that I keep in close contact with other wedding photographers in my local area and know that whatever happens, I will have a photographer at a wedding that I have been booked to photograph, regardless of the situation.

I don't feel you are being unreasonable at all, the photographer (or his wife) should have refunded you already, what an awful thing to happen on the day of your wedding. I really hope you get this situation sorted out! ❤️

• L
    Beginner September 2015
    lindabelle66 ·
    • Hide content

We were very lucky that a good friend who is actually a wildlife photographer agreed to meet us two days later and take some photos for us at our honeymoon venue which was the most gorgeous boathouse set on a lake in Norfolk. He did is proud and although the photos weren't taken om the day itself we are very happy with the results and he's now considering branching out into wedding photography himself. He is on Facebook if any wants to have a look, Amber Light wedding photography. My husband and uI have been so stressed out by this awful experience that having received a refund we have decided to put it behind us and let it go.

I just wanted to share our story in the hope that anyone else making a booking asks the questions we didn't and avoids having to go through a similar experience.

Thank you all for your comments and all the best for your future weddings!

• K
    Beginner October 2015
    Kcatnip ·
    • Hide content

Invoice him for the balance you are owed with a 14 day deadline on it. Send it with an email expressing your best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery. Call him to ensure the email was received. Should get things moving. If not you may want to go to a small claims court, not ideal but you need your money back. x

• dan@danwaterscreative.com
    dan@danwaterscreative.com ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to hear this. Things like this happens all too often. I always recommend couples get written guarantees from their wedding vendors. My wedding agreement has a line in it that simply says "If you're not happy with your photographs or the service you receive then you can ask for all your money back". I want clients to know they can trust me and that I'll give them everything I've got. When couples are shopping around I give them a little card that outlines the things you should ask wedding photographers before you hire them. Here's what's on it:

- Do they offer a written and signed guarantee that they'll give you all your money back if you're not happy?

- Ask to see all the photographs from a couple of weddings, not just their portfolio. You want to see they're consistent.

- How soon will you receive your phootgraphs after wedding? Do they put that in writing?

- How many photographs will you receive in your album?

- How many cameras and lenses do they have? They'll need backups because equipment WILL fail eventually.

- Will they visit the venue a week or two before the wedding to scout it out with you? This helps plan what you're going to do and where so the big day runs more smoothly.

- Do they have any testimonials from happy clients. It's worth checking their Facebook page to see what they're like as a person too.

- Do they have public liability and professional indemnity insurance? Many venues won't let photographers on site without public liability insurance. National Trust venues require insurance coverage of £5 million.

- What will the photographer do if they can't make the wedding? Is it in writing?

I'm sorry this doesn't help you, but hopefully it will help someone else. Fingers crossed you get your money back soon.

• Neil Walker Photography
    Neil Walker Photography ·
    • Hide content

Yup, no real excuse for it.

The mark of a good business is not if they have issues, everyone does, but how they deal with them when they do.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics