Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

A garden wedding?

14 of August of 2015 at 19:46 Posted on Planning 0 15

We've been looking round venues all week and haven't found anywhere that wows both of us. My parents have a farm in Kent (we live in Bristol).

Has anyone had experience of organising a wedding reception in a garden or similar?

15 replies

Latest activity by Minna Rossi Photography, 25 of August of 2015 at 15:33
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

None at all I'm afraid but sounds a lovely idea. I would imagine there are large tent type companies that might organise much more than just the tenting maybe. Tables, chairs, dance floor etc. worth a try.

its the only starting point I can think of sorry.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

We had a picnic in the foothills of Mount Snowson if that counts? Was followed by a traditional wedding breakfast. Was all arranged by our hotel and was fab xx

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

We looked into doing this. If you go with an events rental company most will rent tents as well as tables, chairs, glassware, linens, etc. Keep in mind that you will need lighting, heating or air conditioning depending on the time of year, a generator if there isn't a power source nearby, and bathrooms as you probably don't want everyone traipsing through the house and stopping up toilets that aren't built to be used by so many people. The cost can end up being higher than a traditional venue but it all depends on how much control you want over the event. We went halfway by choosing a venue that had a lodge that we could decorate and arrange all the catering ourselves but they already have a structure for the reception as well as tables and chairs.

• F
    Beginner June 2016
    FutureSamW ·
    • Hide content

Hey, yes we are having a marquee in my parents garden on a farm in Essex.
    Marquee compaies will provide table & chairs, toilets, lighting .
    Being near the farm we found power was no issue, something to do with getting power from farm building or use generators.
    Catering companies provide table linen, glasses & cutlery.
    You can provide drink yourself or hire a bar.
    I found it fairly simple, I first thought itight end up cheaper but I don't think it does.
    You need to consider decoration too but again you can get compaies to deal with this if your not very creative.
    X

• G
    Beginner July 2015
    GeorgieBird ·
    • Hide content

We got married in a marquee in our parents' garden last month and it was amazing! It was a bit more organising because we had to hire in everything: tables, chairs, toilets, centrepiece vases, decorations, the bar etc but it meant we had complete freedom and weren't tied to any particular supplier. And we spent the day before the wedding setting up and decorating tables which may not be everyone's idea of a relaxing Wedding Eve!

We were lucky with our caterers who used the house kitchen so we didn't have to hire in any additional hot cupboards/ovens but still had an amazing three course feast. We also bought all the drinks ourselves which worked out so much cheaper than any hotel drinks package and meant we could have a free bar!

Only downside I could see was that unless you hire a wedding planner, you do need someone to answer all the questions that inevitably come up - when's the toast, when do you sit down to eat, where do the band set up, where do people get their taxi - my parents ended up doing it. I don't think they minded but some parents might prefer to be regular guests!

It was exactly how we wanted it though, we wouldn't have changed anything.

• S
    Simply Ceremonies Uk ·
    • Hide content

I have carried out a number of wedding ceremonies in the family gardens and it's a wonderful opportunity to have a really personal ceremony.

please feel free to contact me for free advice. I'm based in Kent too

Karina

www.celebrant-uk.co.uk

• Janey999
    Beginner September 2015
    Janey999 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

im getting married in just under 3 weeks and we are having reception in our garden.

all very laid back, chilled and home made! Bit of a vintage tea party theme.

im so excited as it's going to be a cool day ?

ill post pics after so you can see what we did x

• S
    Simply Ceremonies Uk ·
    • Hide content

Have you spoken to Debbie at Chives the Caterers. They are fabulous and work very closely with a very good marquee and crockery company.

Debbie is very experienced, her husband Graham is the chef. Debbie can also coordinate fully on the day if you wish.

You can contact her on ****

www.chivescaterers.co.uk

Karina x

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if this idea is any good to anyone but when I once considered a huge garden party I did wonder if a local garden centre would actually hire me loads and loads of pots of plants shrubs and small trees etc. I never found out if it was possible but it might make a good option for decoration for someone if they are prepared to do it.

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

We have worked at many garden events with our camper photobooths - and garden venues work really well. Beautiful, personal space that can be decorated to your choice and you could even set up camping for guests. You probably would not be limited to a closing time as well - so the party could run well into the night if you wanted it to!!!

Budget would be the driving factor for how the space was set up - Tipis are gorgeous and we have done a lot of events with these recently. Seen hay bails used to great effect too, as seats or stacked up to create "sections" at the event.

Just think about power, toilet facilities and access to the site in the event of bad weather.

Good luck - and enjoy the planning!!!

• Minna Rossi Photography
    Minna Rossi Photography ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of a DIY cocktail bar Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics