Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

flowersinherhair
Beginner April 2014

Paris recommendations

flowersinherhair, 18 of January of 2015 at 19:58 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

So we're going to Paris for our first anniversary in April, neither of us have been before and wondered whether anyone has any recommendations? I have a couple of things in mind. Also anything you think isn't really worth it, had a couple of people saying not to bother with the louvre, what do you think? Thanks in advance!

8 replies

Latest activity by flowersinherhair, 20 of January of 2015 at 07:49
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, how lovely! I cant remember its official name but I loved the square.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I would definitely recommend The Louvre! I think its one of those things you just have to do, like climbing The Eiffel Tower. It's an incredibly long time since I went so wouldn't like to give recommendations, but I remember enjoying The Pompidou Centre and the Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, Sacre Couer, Les Invalides, and the Place de Concorde.

I've also heard that the catacombs are a must.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

When I went to Paris I was there on the first Sunday of the month which meant free entry to the Louvre. Yes there was a long queue but it moved pretty quickly & I can now say that I've seen the Mona Lisa. And it was interesting to see it in real life.

Having only been once I might not be the best person to give advice but I would recommend walking about as much as you can. We did and it was a great way to see things. The metro is easy to navigate so would also recommend that for longer distances.

We found beer & wine to be expensive in the more touristy areas, H and I were gobsmacked to get a beer that cost us €12.

H and I loved the street, Rue de Mouffetard and would recommend that.

Eiffel Tower at night was amazing. We booked our slot in advance and beat the queues.

Erm..... Erm.... There's so much to do but I just can't think what!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We went on a walking tour which went past a lot of the big sights, was a good way to get a feel for the place. Spent a lot of our time eating as H had planned lots of foodie trips.

Versailles is beautiful but was extremely busy when we went. Make sure you allow time to go to the gardens as well as the palace! We didn't go in the Louvre but if you are interested in art then it would be worth a visit, but don't expect to see anything, and expect a sea of cameras in front of the Mona Lisa! Notre Dame was lovely, as was Sacre Coeur - and far less busy at the latter. The Tour Montparnasse is ugly, but you can get a ticket to the top for much less than the price of the Eiffel Tower and you get a stunning view of all of Paris including the Eiffel tower - worth a look, especially at night when they light it up.

For places to eat, depends on your budget. At the top end, L'Arpege was amazing, one of the best meals I've ever had (tasting menu), fantastic service. More reasonably priced, La Ferme St Simon did a great set menu deal and was really high quality.

Have a great time!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

The Louvre is fab, as is the Eiffel Tower at night, and the Moulin Rouge. Definitely do the night time riverboat tour if you can, and if you're there for long enough Disneyland is good fun. Don't forget to eat some snails ?

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I lived in Paris a few years ago and can recommend all sorts of places - I will try to keep it reasonably short on here, but if you want more details, please feel free to email me!

- Chez Paul on rue de Charonne (11th, Metro Bastille or Ledru Rollin) does a truly perfect fillet steak with peppercorn sauce and gratin dauphinois. It was so perfect that I never tried anything else in the 10+ times I ate there.

- Rue de Lappe, just round the corner from Chez Paul has lots of cool bars and a few restaurants

- Parc des Buttes-Chaumont (19th, Metro Buttes-Chaumont) is a park with a hill, and the view from the top is beautiful, particularly at sunset.

- Montmartre is Amelie-land, you can visit the cafe she worked in on rue Lepic, called Les Deux Moulins (18th, Metro Abbesses then walk uphill or funicular to the top).

- While in Montmartre, go to the Sacre Coeur, it's beautiful and the view is pretty fab too.

- Visit Fauchon in place de la Madeleine (8th, Metro Madeleine) for some gourmet treats, then pop into Laduree for some macarons.

- Wander along the Champs Elysees and an area called the Golden Triangle (ave George V, ave Montaigne and rue Francois 1er) for all the haute couture fashion stores.

- a walk along the Seine is a must on a sunny day - a lovely place for this is Ile Saint Louis, there's a sweet little garden at the Eastern end (4th, Metro Sully-Morland)

- anywhere near Saint-Michel/Latin Quarter will be great fun, busy, touristy - oodles of restaurants and bars with every kind of cuisine imaginable (6th, Metro St Michel)

- just one more, I had an amazing Turkish meal at La Voie Lactee (the Milky Way), would totally recommend it if you get a bit bored of eating French food! (5th, Metro Cardinal Lemoine)

I hope that helps! In terms of the Louvre, I went and wasn't that bothered. I like art, but am not really really into it. If you're keen on art then go, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

• Superhanka
    Beginner December 2014
    Superhanka ·
    • Hide content

As above really, Monmartre and Sacré coeur are my faves.

If you're only there a couple of days, I wouldn't bother with Versailles. It's horrendously busy and you're hearded through the rooms like cattle. However, the gardens are just spectacular to wander around if it's a slow summers day.

My favourite arrondissements were always 6eme and 7eme around Saint Germain des Pres and Saint Michel. However, it's been a while since I lived there and when I've been back over the last few years things have really changed.

Paris is such a beautiful city, just wander round and enjoy the sights!

Bon voyage!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is a while since l went to Paris but l enjoyed The Louvre, The Eiffel Tower, and l was also lucky enough to see the end of the Tour de France from the top of the Arc de Triomphe.

There is lots of great information on here, Mr Erin and l should probably go as he has never properly been to Paris.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions, we want to have a good mix of touristy and non touristy stuff and you've given us a great mix to fit with that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics