Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Spending money

13 of January of 2015 at 12:35 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

I was going to post in the honeymoon section, but its dead in there usually and I could do with speaking to some folk who might know the answer...

I am going to Sorrento, Italy, for a week in July after I get married and I just wondered how much spending money would I need?

We are staying in a nice hotel so we have breakfast included. I plan on doing a couple of day trips - which I will pay for before we leave probably. One will be to Rome for the day. We both like nice wine and food but can't see us going mad on it every day.

I have never been to Italy, so have no idea on the price of things.

What would you take?

14 replies

Latest activity by Mellow_Yellow, 19 of January of 2015 at 11:35
  • cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

Last time I was in Italy last year I found the prices very similar to here - you can find good value for money places and equally expensive places. As you might imagine prices in Rome in the tourist areas are typically high. Watch out for the little things adding up - gelato in Italy can be more expensive than the wine!!

If it is your honeymoon you might want to eat out at some of the nicer places so probably could do with a little bit more than a normal holiday. Assuming your trips and hotel have been pre-paid then I would take around £500 each to be on the safe side. You could do it much less than that though - how long is a piece of string!

I'm a bit hazy around spending money on holidays now as I have a pre-pay card so just load it up and then spend what's left on my next holiday. I remember Italy being cheaper than France but then as we were in Epernay region we did over do the champagne a bit!

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

We tend to spend an average of 100 euros a day between us when we go to Italy, 200 if we eat and drink at fancy places. We're also going to Amalfi/Rome/Florence for 2 weeks in May/june, can't wait!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Sorrento wasn't as expensive as people had lead us to believe.

You'll find that a lot of places do a pizza/pasta & beer for 10 euros. If you go to the "fancier" places, you'll obviously pay quite a bit more, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that generally it wasn't that expensive.

The trips and cocktails in the hotel is where we spent most of our money. A trip to Capri cost us 80 euros each, and then more for food etc once we were there.

If I remember correctly, we took about £1,500 for a week and spent nearly all of it.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged here! I actually won the holiday, and it included £400 spending money...we went for three nights/four days and spent it all, but we weren't trying to be frugal.

Where are you staying? I highly recommend Pompeii/Vesuvius, and getting pizza in Naples. I'll have a nosy on trip advisor for my restaurant reviews!

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I gave more details of my pre-pay card on Erin's thread. https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/477625.aspx

I have a card which is loaded in GBP and then converts a withdrawal into whatever currency I want at the point of withdrawal/purchase. I would imagine the conversion rate is adjusted to give them some profit but it still gives me a good rate and I don't pay any fees at all for withdrawal or purchases using the card. I'm not sure if Caxton are still the best - it was a recommendation from Moneysavingexpert so maybe check there. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money/?_ga=1.190510763.1297092473.1419855270

If you travel a lot they make life so much simpler. When I go to New Zealand I will load with a min amount then top up when I am there. I send a text message and it immediately transfers money from my bank card to my Caxton Card. So I never worry that I don't have enough on it and don't have to carry a load of cash around either. Amazeballs.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Did you all just book flights/hotels separately or did you book a package deal?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

That is bargainous!

I love the idea of going but can't be bothered to trawl the internet for flights/hotels etc!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I highly recommend the FairFX card. I used when we went to the states and it was fab. Exchange rates were great and there was no charge to use it in shops, but a small charge to take out cash (like 1.5 dollar to take out 100 dollars). And if you overspend you can easilu transfer more money from your account to the card via text or online. Check it out!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

We went in October and it was bloody hot then. Be warned, getting down the volcano isn't easy! There's no handrail and it's really steep and slippy - make sure you wear good shoes!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Ristorante il Borgo is where we got engaged. It's a lovely place at the top of a mountain. If your hotel phone them for you to make a reservation they will send a car to your hotel to collect you, and take you home at the end of the night also - no extra charge. http://www.ristoranteilborgo.it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics