Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AuntieBJ
Beginner September 2014

What makes you feel old?

AuntieBJ, 17 of November of 2014 at 13:52 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 69

This morning I had my eye test. I just ordered my first pair of varifocals and I feel like I turned the corner into serious middle age.

69 replies

Latest activity by Chucklevision, 21 of November of 2014 at 13:08
  • L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

When I see a girl dressed to the nines to massive heels I don't think first god she looks nice I think ouch and when I see a girl out wearing hardly anything I don't think she looks fab I think she looks cold

I am only 26 lol

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

My stepchildren! They were 4 and 7 when H and I got together, and now they're teenagers (11 and 14). I cant handle it!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

- using my walking stick

- when I think music from the 90s is only about 10 yrs old

- when I make an "oof" noise getting up from my seat

- when I have to stop myself from buying cutesy, cartoony clothes/accessories cos they will obviously just look sad on me

- when all my joints click and creak

- when the conversation in the office turns to kid's TV shows or books, and all the ones my colleagues remember I've never heard of, cos by the time they were around I was about 16

I could go on...

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

My colleague who was born in 1990!

The fact that I get tired and go to bed early

Thinking music/films only came out a couple of years ago and then discovering it was more like 15

The fact that I legitimately use phrases that my mum used to say to me

Being matron of honour in December! (Matron?! How old is that?!)

And just a little bit, being a wife! Surely I'm too young for that? Haha

I'm 27 Smiley smile

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

- Having a mortgage and planning house renovations

- Feeling cold all the ruddy time - I even have a lap-sized hot water bottle for work

- Taylor Swift. I love her, but she's so young. Or perhaps I am too old to be a fan. Ditto all the athletes and sports players who are at the prime, the kind of people I spent hours looking up to and are now 10+ years younger than me

... Loads of other stuff I'm sure, but those spring to mind instantly.

• CoconutDonut
    Beginner December 2016
    CoconutDonut ·
    • Hide content

My siblings.

I'm in my mid-20s, I have two brothers who are 17 and 8, and three sisters who are 13, 11 and 4.

My parents had me when they were 18, and somehow beat the odds to stay together, and went on to marry and have my younger siblings.

Each of them makes me feel old in their own way.

17yo brother going on about his A-Levels, makes me remember how young he was when I took mine.

13yo sister is now in Year 9, and has got her GCSE options book, and when I picked MY options she was barely walking.

11yo sister has just started the same school I went to, and when I started there, she wasn't even born.

As for 8yo brother and 4yo sister, well every time I take them out somewhere, people sometimes think they're MY children.

And I know as we all get older, it will just be magnified even more.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love pop music and I'm not ashamed. I still listen to Radio 1 even though I'm massively out of their target audience.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

A guy in my show - who I thought was probably about 19/20 - was born in 1998!!!

1998!? That's 9 years younger than me! And I'm not even old!!!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There'll come a point when it'll be the opposite. When I was 17 and my brother was 10 the gap seemed huge - now I almost forget we're so far apart in age. And my mum is almost 20 years younger than her brothers, and it's like there's no age gap at all.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have finally had to give this up! Not because of the music, but because I can't stand the DJs!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I'm lucky to work with mostly much older people so most of the time I feel quite young. However, these things make me feel ancient:

When a colleague and I talk about 90s stuff, whether it be music, TV programmes or games

When I'm out in town for a night out I see people who look about 12

Children that are dependent on technology to amuse themselves (my nephew being one of them). When I was a kid I was always outside playing with the other kids on my street

I left school 12 years ago

I feel like a right old fart when I moan to my friend about how girls dress these days!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh, a couple more. When I see people out drinking and think they can't be old enough to drink (and they should put more clothes on!) and when I see what looks like a child driving, think they can't possibly be old enough to drive, and then realise that they could be 10yrs younger than me and be legally allowed to drive! urgh

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

When I glance at a patients record, see they were born in the 90s, expect a child with parent to stand up when I call their name, and actually an adult stands up and walks over, usually suited and booted, gets me every time, how can someone born in the 90s be grown up? I'm only just there and I was born early 80s!

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

What makes me feel old....reading these from people who are in their twenties and realising I am literally old enough to be their mother!!

Random aches and pains. I had points where I felt old in my twenties (like people in bars looking like they shouldn't be allowed in) but the body physically aching (joints, back, arms) for no apparent reason is more frequent now. I dread to think what I will be like in another 20 years.

I go to the doctors less now yet have more pain/ailments because I just know it is 'getting old' stuff. Like this morning my knee has started clicking. Wasn't clicking yesterday. Might not be clicking tomorrow. But for today I sound like those pull along wooden dogs I had as a kid (which none of you will remember as you are too young.....?)

Spotting a gorgeous 6ft young hunk in a bar and thinking 'phwoar' then realising it is an old school friend's son who you last saw when he was about 4.

Anytime I see myself in a mirror. In my head I am young. The mirror does not agree with me.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Cinnamon, I'm right there with you!! I have a daughter who is almost as old as the majority of the brides on here meaning I AM old enough to be their mother!!

I ache in all sorts of places now and I groan every morning as I get out of bed.

I hear music that my kids listen to and find myself moaning about how it doesn't even make sense and really, you call that a tune??

when I book tickets for a concert, I want a seat; not to be as close to the stage as possible.

I no longer want to drink until I reach a state of oblivion and I like the music low enough so I can talk to people.

i am horrified by what young girls choose to wear and I'm constantly pointing out to my grumpy teenager that mobile phones didn't exist when I was her age so no, I didn't always want the latest model.

I remember vinyl as normal, not a quaint vintage alternative to CDs and tape recordes as modern technology

its no good - I really am old!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

The fact I don't know any of the clebs in band aid 30

i stand up and make 'ooh' noises, am full of aches and pains and have started having very stiff joints

The fact my stepchildren are 12 and 10

i left uni 10 years ago

there will be more I am sure

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I say well done if you don't know who One Direction, Ed Sheeran, Ellie Goulding and Emeli Sande are, they're frickin' everywhere.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bekkijane, my H does the second one, and I do all of the others! You should hear the sound my joints make, especially when I get up in the morning! So you're not alone! Also, so many people my age with children! That's scary

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Filling in my sons application for Senior school - The same school I left 11 years ago.

When my 3 year old says things like "Mummy, when you were a little girl, were there dinosaurs?"

Sitting on the sofa, with a blanket over my lap, whilst I crochet.

Seeing my old school friends get married, and have kids. I forget I am the same age as them. (29)

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

The fact that I'm 55.....and you lot aren't lol!!!

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

When you have to write a WILL!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha! J asked me if I was born in 'victorian times' I assured him I hadn't been.

• C
    Beginner
    casgup ·
    • Hide content

Speaking to my friend about when she got smacked in the mouth with a hockey stick at school. We remember it like yesterday... It was 18 years ago

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Most of these for me too!

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

1. teaching contemporary literature to 20 yo Uni students this year and realising they have no knowledge of the Irish Troubles, the Bosnian War, Rwanda.

2. went to American Apparel at the weekend to buy a dress for FSIL (her request, they don't ship to Finland) Couldnt find it in the shop, so asked the teenage shop assistant if it could be ordered in, after explaining i was buying it for a friend. At the end of the process, she turns to me and says, "did you say this was for your daughter?". Granted, i wasn't wearing make up, but i'm only 30!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Being a Mrs has made me feel a little old.

I always make 'oof' noises and feel tired a lot of the time at the moment which also makes me feel old.

When H is playing guitar loudly at about 6pm and I'm there saying to turn it down as it is quiet time now ?

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I feel old when I come home from work and want to put my nighty on, when people call me "an old married wifey" at 32!!! The thought of 2 nights out in a row would fill me with dread. I was so much more lively in my 20s x

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

The fact that my uni friends and I are planning a 10 year reunion next year.

The realisation that 9/11 was 13 years ago and no one under the age of 18 has any real memory of it.

Thinking about how when/if I have children they will probably be amazed that I only had 4 TV channels growing up and when we first had the internet we could only use it free for 12 hours a month, and that was only evenings and weekends.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Ha, all of the above!

Having to get up in the small hours to pee because i've drank too much tea all night!

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

When my knee's hurt

when i still think my brother is 12(he's 20 now)

when i realise i left school 10 years ago this year

• SakuraYuna
    Dedicated November 2016
    SakuraYuna ·
    • Hide content

Realising in x factor I'd be in the overs category.

The fact that I prefer staying in and can't be bothered with nights out anymore for the most part, but my 50 yr old colleague parties every weekend! No idea how she does it.

Friends younger siblings I remember being about 9 are now in college

Realising by my age my sister had already been married 3 yrs and was expecting my neice

I'm 26

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WOW! I can't believe that was so long ago! I remember being in an RE class at school when a girl's phone went off and it was her mum telling her about what happened - luckily for her the news was so much of a distraction she didn't get into trouble for using her phone in class!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics