Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

DeeBee33
Dedicated November 2014

I am going to wake up in a minute aren't I? UPDATE on Page 4 Warning- #dadcancer

DeeBee33, 14 of September of 2014 at 01:49 Posted on Planning 0 129

Welcome to 'the arse just fell out of my world' central. Three weeks ago I saw my Dad at a family party, he was super quiet but when asked just said his cough was bothering him. He had been to a doctor but was given nasal spray. Otherwise he was just my Dad.

Two weeks ago my parents came to stay to take me to my dress fitting. After a few drinks I told Dad I was worried about him at the family party. He said "No point worryingly babe, it doesn't change anything.

One week ago I received a call from my mum to say Dad had been to Drs again and taken in to hospital for a chest X ray.

Monday he had pneumonia.

Tuesday he had pleurisy and fluid on his abdomen.

Wednesday I had discovered google. And he was on a liver ward.

Thursday he rang me to tell me has has liver and bowel cancer and there's nothing they can do.

Friday I rushed home. My family are in pieces. Dad was allowed home for the weekend as we will know nothing more until a medical meeting early next week. Fiancee has come to join me. We did a lot of laughing cos there was nothing else to do.

Today I had an email telling me I get married in 7 weeks and the venue needs my numbers. I rang them, they were lovely, but... what the bloody f*ck.

I have no wedding insurance, not that it matters. Money is money but my Dad is my Dad. I just don't know how to handle this. I'm scared of mentioning the wedding because I don't want my family to think its all I care about. Dad has made it clear that living for 49 days to be there is his aim, but wedding is 2 hours from his home and hospital. Also in a real state about work cos fiancee and I live so far away that I can't be with my family and at work.

I am in pieces.

This wasn't meant to happen to me.

129 replies

Latest activity by kizzi10000, 24 of September of 2014 at 19:58
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Oh man, I'm so sorry. There's nothing I can say to make it better but have a weird internet hug. We're all here for you (not that I expect anyone else to be up at this time!) Stay strong x

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

I am so sorry to read this and to hear about what you and your family are going through. My thoughts are with you all. There is nothing I can say that will make anything better but we are all here for you. Sending internet hugs your way xx

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Soontobe_mrsG ·
    • Hide content

Just a huge hug from a stranger. All I can echo are the other ladies, we're here for you if you need to offload. Your parents know how much you care, and they clearly care for you too, just be there when you can be, however you can, phone, as well as in person xx

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Im so sorry you are going through this. My thoughts are with you and your family

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I couldn't read and not comment but I have nothing to say that will make any of this better. Just know that I'm thinking of you and sending a virtual hug xx

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Oh what sad and worrying news and times for you. Try to stay as positive as you can. Although it sounds like your dad has had a clear diagnosis, wait until the drs etc have met to decide the next course of action etc. I do know how difficult this all is, I went through this with my mum and you feel everything is on hold. You're also sad, scared etc etc. there's nothing anyone can say to make things better, but we are thinking of you.

• H
    Beginner October 2015
    hallowedding ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to hear this, I don't know what say other than to offer support through hitched the same as everyone else. x

• S
    Beginner September 2015
    Sevenyearhitched ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness. I am so terribly sorry. You dont need this and it shouldn't be happening to you.

Is there absolutely nothing they can do. My 54 year old cousin was diagnosed with bowel cancer in February. He's had the cancer removed and has a stoma bag. He's waiting to see if it's spread but he's home and is looking forward to living.

My ex husband was diagnosed with liver/ gall bladder cancer almost two years ago. He was told he had four months but he's still here.

You are in shock mode right now but when everything has calmed down there are lots of alternate things your dad can be doing. There's an awful lot out there. Attention to diet is a start. Supplements such as IP- 6 and graviola have found to be useful.

Juicing, particularly green juices are very good

Theres a wealth of information on here

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79354

Pits an old thread but a good one. Cancer doesn't have to be a death sentence..

Pand another

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37738

One of the things your dad must do is to get his body back to alkaline

Also get him to do some meditation using harmonic solfeggio tones. Just look on you tube. These tones help to heal or DNA

Theres a wealth of alternative/ complimentary stuff out there and it's all about making changes. It takes a long time to get our bodies acidic so the change won't happen overnight but I would throw every good thing at it I could.

My ex saw his 60th birthday last week, something he didn't expect.

Also it would help to get your dad to a homeopath .

Where does he live?

Dont cancel your wedding. He won't want you to do that.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I am so sorry you are having a rough time. Dont cancel your wedding. That is probably the one positive thing he and your family have to look forward too.

I am so shocked it took a lot of mis-diagnosis to actually get to the bottom of what is wrong with him :-(

Get a second opiniom about what can be done, you never know. We are very fortunate to have the reaearch we do on cancer.

As for making it to your wedding, he may have to watch from a distance if he is bed bound. Depending on the severity he may able to make it. My grandpa had cancer and he was unable to make my aunties wedding, but he watched via Skype, and he didnt miss a thing. He joined us again later for speeches.

I know you must be feeling shocked, vulnerable and just down right terrified, and that is Ok. Dont bottle it up, whether you let it all out on here, to your family or a random bloke behind a bar, do so.

Make sure you let work know ASAP, so they can expect you not to come in now and again, and may give you a little special leave to try and accept what is happening.

All the best, and I wish you and your dad all the luck in the world!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I am so so sorry xxx

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

There's nothing any of us can say, but I am so, so sorry hun. Echoing that you should tell your work - they may have special leave you can take, at least until you meet with the Drs and know the full prognosis and treatment plan. it also sounds like you don't need to mention the wedding - its obviously foremost in his mind, too. For now I would confirm with the venue as if nothing's changed, it's all you can do. ((hugs))

• BeccaM2b83
    Beginner December 2015
    BeccaM2b83 ·
    • Hide content

Couldn't read and run. I'm so so sorry. There's nothing anyone can say or do to make this better I know, but you are in our hopes and thoughts, and surrounded by love and hugs from loved ones and strangers alike xxx

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

DeeBee I am so gutted to read this, I can't believe this is happening to your family. Take your time and let the news sink in, there will be lots of tests and options and news and information coming your way in the next weeks days/weeks, allow yourself to process it before you start thinking about the wedding. Take it all in bite sized chunks. A friend of mines mum recently became ill and although the prognosis is not good, it seems the shape of the story changes on a weekly basis as they learn more and different options open up to them.

Finally, talk lots. If you need a strangers ear to shout and scream in to then please by all means get in touch and use mine ..

I'm so sad to hear about this, sending you useless virtual hugs xxx

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

So so sorry to hear this......hugs xxx

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsMcToBe ·
    • Hide content

Hello, I'm pretty new here and don't normally post but in this case I thought I may be able to offer a small bit of advice. I lost my mum earlier in the year to cancer. The absolute most important thing I did was be with her as much as I possibly could. Try and do this for your dad, speak to your own doctors if possible my sisters work wanted to let her be off work but needed a sick note to process it and our G.P. Sorted that for her. Get in touch with Macmillan, your dad will probably get assigned a Macmillan nurse who will be on hand to answer an questions you and your family have. Macmillan will also do everything they can to help your Dad get to the wedding. Speak with them, they could arrange a nurse to go with him for the journey if necessary. Other's have prepared you that it may not be possible of course but then you can look at Skype and your photographer may be able to quickly edit a bunch of photos you can take to show him the next day?

This is such a hard time for you and you're family, stick together and make sure you have someone to talk to. (Of course come on here to vent and even take your mind of things) My now fianace and I bought our house while Mum was in the hospice and we had to show her round by video link but she was just so happy to have seen where were going to be living. Keep your chin up and lean on your fiance and you know we are here if you need us.

This link will take you to the Macmillan website, they have loads of information and a freephone number for any questions you have until your dad gets advised who his Macmillan nurse is. One last thing, when they say there is nothing to be done, that doesn't always mean there is no treatment to prolong life slightly or even aid with pain. Mum had radiotherapy and steriods to keep her pain at bay before she deteriorated.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Home.aspx

I will be thinking of you and hoping the best for you and your family at this difficult time.

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear this deebee.

• DeeBee33
    Dedicated November 2014
    DeeBee33 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your kind words and hugs, and all your advice and guidance. Am going home today but hopefully not for long if I can get things sorted with work. Just feels like a bad dream I need to wake up from.

Thanks again x

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Amongst all the unfamiliar and scary and unpredictable stuff, your dad will be looking forward to the wedding. It may be what gives him his fight, so please do not think that your wedding becomes unimportant in the grand scheme of things.....it may have even become important if it gives him a reason to live. My dad died at 55 with no notice...a blood clot to the lung....so I cannot pretend I know what it is like for you right now as we only ever got the call to say it was too late. But....I do know how important dads and daughters are, and that will never change for you....use it to look forward, however things turn out.

Be strong, and take care of you x

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

....and make sure you eat properly, get rest when you can, and cry when you need.....and keep laughing too. It will all help keep your energy levels up to allow you to be there for him....you will be no use if you exhaust yourself.

• Dizzycaz
    Beginner October 2014
    Dizzycaz ·
    • Hide content

Huge hugs... Didn't want to read and run, I can only echo what everyone else has said and you definitely need to stay strong and look after yourself, my dad sadly passed away almost 2 years ago to the same thing so I can relate somewhat. :'(

Take care xx

• W
    Beginner November 2014
    Wife In Training ·
    • Hide content

Thinking of you DeeBee xxx

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

Im so sorry, i cannot begin to even imagine it and feel devestated for you. Will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts as its truly dreadful. Keep holding on to the family love and hope your work is supportive x

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Huge hugs deebee x

• BAMS
    Beginner November 2014
    BAMS ·
    • Hide content

So sorry for you and thinking of you and your family xx

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I am so so sorry to hear your awful news. My heart goes out to you and your family. My friends mum had bowel cancer and was being treated whilst her daughter got married. To ensure she could attend the wedding the hospital gave her what looked like a small bag which she strapped under her dress that contained medicine that she put in a tube. I'm not sure if this can be done under every circumstance but if he is undergoing any treatment/pain relief I would speak to the hospital and see what can be done to help him get there. I imagine he would not want you to cancel/postpone so my best advice would be to speak to a doctor and see what they can do to help. I'm sending you lots of internet hugs x

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I am so sorry to read your post - that's horrendous.

I imagine your dad would not want you to cancel your wedding plans - could you speak to your mum about it.

You must feel like the ground has just collapsed from under you - unimagineable

xx

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through.

There is really nothing I can say but my best wishes are with you and your family xx

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

My father was diagnosed with terminal cancer a few weeks after I got engaged the first time round. Despite being in a hospice and confined to a wheelchair by the time the (brought forward) wedding happened, he made it. He died 11 days later.

I've written about it on here before so I won't go into great detail and you don't need a post that's me me me anyway.

Just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel and that if you want to talk, please feel free to message me.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry. I have just been through very similar with my sister and I know how devastating it is. All I can say is that I am so glad we had our wedding, it was the last time we were all together and happy before a bomb went off in our family. The memories of the day are even more precious now. Keep planning, look forward, be together as much as you can xx

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

You have had far more helpful replies from others, I can't think lf anything to add that hasn't already been said, but I couldn't read and run. Sending you much love and huge hugs. Xxxx

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Oh DeeBee, I am so sorry Smiley sad

I have no words. I wish I could help make it all go away.

We are all here if you need us. Sending you lots of internet hugs and will be thinking of you x

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

I am so sorry to read this. I don't think I can add anything helpful at this stage as I can't even begin to imagine what you must be going through. Just know that we will all be thinking of you. Big weirdy hugs xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics