Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ATB
Beginner August 2014

Rosacea

ATB, 29 of January of 2014 at 10:23 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

Does anyone suffer from this - or more importantly suffered and sucessfully got rid?

The skin on my nose and across my cheeks has been very red, dry and bumpy for months. I had heard of Rosacea but didn't realise that this is what I actually had until I looked into causes of red cheeks recently.

I've been trying to treat it myself by being really thorough with cleansing and using a combination of facial oil and good old Sudocreme. I've been using a fruit enzyme mask too a couple of times a week. The dryness has gone, and the bumpiness is very much reduced - but the area is still very red.

Any advice/cures!?

16 replies

Latest activity by Mary C to be K, 5 of February of 2014 at 04:52
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Are you sure it's not just the weather? I think the spotty type can be treated with antibiotics etc. For just redness, I'd avoid chemicals, don't drink/eat anything particularly toxic (cut down alcohol and heavily-spiced food) and wear green makeup in an emergency. If you have broken veins, they can be lasered.

• McFarley
    Beginner September 2014
    McFarley ·
    • Hide content

Hi ATB, someone posted up a similar thing a day or two ago about how to get rid of acne adn there were a few posts about reducing rosacea too. It might be worth getting it checked out by your docs in the first instance who should be able to let you know if it definitely is rosacea, and not bad weather/hormone related etc. Depending on the outcome it will help determine what kind of treatments are best... x

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I've had since the weather was good so I know it's not that. It's definately not needing a doctor's trip for drugs since I've managed to make it a lot better - the redness just won't go though, it's like lots of little red veins and blotches Smiley sad.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Heat/light/laser therapy could improve this. You will need a dermatologist to approve and you'll probably have to pay if it isn't very noticeable (I appreciate you may feel it very noticeable...).

• smilesjp
    Beginner July 2015
    smilesjp ·
    • Hide content

Try changing your pillow to a hypoallergenic one. I have, and I've noticed a difference already! Sometimes Sudocreme can dry up the skin, enforcing it to produce more oil to keep it moisturised. I've also heard cucumber can sometimes 'cool' down the skin/redness.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I have this, but I haven't really found anything that gets rid of it - I try to cover it with make up when going out (using a green primer) and I've found using a colour correcting BB cream has helped a bit as well. I hate it but a lot of people I mention it to assume it's just 'rosy cheeks' (although it's not really in the right place). Certain foods make it worse for me, anything with chilli in can make it flare up so I try to watch that. I also have dark patches on my face too so both together are starting to bother me. I've read that bio oil can be good for both so I've been trying that and I think it might be looking better but it's hard to tell yet.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

That sounds exactly like mine DCM. I've been looking up pictures and feel a bit guilty for worrying about it when I see examples of people who've got it so much worse. I feel it's not bad enough to justify going down the laser route.

I don't eat chilli or spicy food really, and haven't drank alcohol apart from a small glass of wine and soda since new year (perhaps that's helping it get better!) as on a health kick.

I took photos of it last night, and then again this morn after I'd put make up on over it. It's covered now by a BB cream, concealor and mineral foundation and it looks fine now that the dryness is gone, and the bumps are reduced. I laughed at myself covering it all up then adding blusher to my cheeks!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

ATB my sister has quite red skin on her face (I don't think its rosacea) and she uses a Clinique powder that looks yellow which seems to counteract it

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the same with blusher (though it is in a slightly different place) looking at pictures from a few weeks ago it does look a little better with the bio oil - I'll keep you posted. If you find any cures in the meantime, let me know!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Don't know if it really works for Rosacea as it says it does, but done wonders for my wrinkles http://www.arganoil.co/?gclid=CK_NkYX3p7wCFQgHwwodNjkAhg

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

My OH has acne rosacea.... but it's more rosacea than acne as he doesn't really get spots.

He's in the middle of a course of lazer and it's really really helped.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

That's good to know Pugsley. Jojo - thanks for this - I might try and get a diagnosis to see if I can get anything prescribed for it - I've never bothered before and just tried over the counter stuff.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I posted on the acne thread about my rosacea because it's really flared up recently and is awful. My GP originally gave me metronidazole gel (Metrogel) to treat it, which helped for a short while but has stopped having any effect at all. I may need to go back for tablets instead. Urgh.

In the meantime, someone recommended coconut oil to treat it and although I was skeptical, I gave it a whirl and it's made a definite difference just after a couple of days. Mainly the difference is that my skin is no longer burning sore or itching! I don't know if it looks much less red, but it doesn't hurt anymore.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Definitely worth going to your GP. My OH has tablets and roses cream prescribed to help.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I have it a little and it is very annoying! Alcohol definitely makes mine a lot worse. I don't think spicy food does but then again l eat a lot of spicy food so it makes it harder to tell. I don't do much about it to be honest but l am conscious l have a few small broken veins that need sorting out.

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

Hi just saw this whilst insomnia browsing! I have mild rosacea and had cream from the doc a couple of years ago which made a little bit of a difference. The thing I found best was the Clinique redness range - especially the moisturiser. I've also found that I need to be quite gentle with the affected bits of my face - so no scrubs, peels etc and just a gentle exfoliator on the dry/bumpy/scaly bits(!) then loads of moisturiser.

I have noticed that if I don't look after it the veins show up so much more :-( I've got to get back in a good routine with it for the next couple of months!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics