Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner November 2015

anyone had, having or has anyone just seen a M&S wedding cake?

JHenson1234, 1 of November of 2013 at 23:05 Posted on Planning 0 35

We have a limited budget and wondered if this could be a good idea?

35 replies

Latest activity by INeverThought, 10 of November of 2013 at 21:34
  • *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

My brother & sil had one at their wedding, had a nice cake stand, some nice ribbons and a lovely cake topper and no one knew it was an m&s cake Smiley smile
    Tasted nice if I remember correctly and did them very well for their budget Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I think it was a standard size, don't know if m&s do different sizes or shapes but theirs was round, it had a thinner look to the base than typical stacked cakes and spread out on the cake stand so it looked taller too if you know what I mean Smiley smile it did look very nice the only thing was that sil put the ribbon on a bit squinty so it didn't look as professional as it could have but most people would do a good job of this, she just threw it on haha Smiley smile

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

We are having a m&s cake, probably the one covered in roses. We have £200 vouchers so seemed like a wise idea spending it on a wedding cake.

My FSIL had the pearl one it was lovely, I didnt get a bit but had marks cake before and it's lovely. She added coloured ribbon too and I would never have know it was from there if I hadn't already seen it on their website.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks both.

My oh likes the rose covered one too. I like that one and the square one - I want to add a brooch or two to the ribbon so the bows at the front might make it easier to attach them.

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    these_days ·
    • Hide content

We are planning on having the one covered in roses too Smiley smile We ordered a sample of it a few weeks ago and opted for the chocolate ganache covered in icing. It was yummy. Only thing was, M&S cancelled our first order with no notice and then told us we would have to wait another week before the sample was ready to collect in store! Just hope they don't do that to us when we are ordering the actual cake!! Don't want to be suddenly stressing my cake isn't ready with a day to go!!

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    becs1975 ·
    • Hide content

I pick mine up on Wednesday! Very excited. We tried the samples, they were delicious. We're having the bottom tier fruitcake, and the other 2 sponge and buttercream. My florist will be adding dusky lilac roses in between the layers.

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    these_days ·
    • Hide content

Yes you can order samples! Order them online and then collect in-store Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

Becs1975, any chance you could let us know what its like when you get it please? My oh needs convincing that it's the right thing to do! ; ) x

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    becs1975 ·
    • Hide content

No worries. The cakes costing us £170 including the fresh flowers going on it, which I think is still pretty good. I'll let you know how it goes down, we're serving it as dessert after the evening buffet.

• M
    Beginner January 1998
    MrsI2Be ·
    • Hide content

We had an m&s cake at our wedding in June! It was lovely and we received loads of comments from people about how nice it looked, and tasted! We had fruit, chocolate and vanilla sponge. Everyone was surprised when we said where we got it from! I would definitely recommend them!

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

Thats the one I like - it looks lovely in the flesh. I have been worried about the size (depth mainly) but it looks lovely. If we have that one it will probably have brooches on two tiers - on the bows : ) Yours looks perfect! Thanks for the picture x

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    markandkatieswedding ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we're interested in having a m and s cake. How do you get the samples? We've been on the website, but can't find anything that says about samples.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, m&s call their wedding cake samples taster packs. I ordered one in each flavour yesterday x

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

We had one

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry got so excited about the fact that I now seem to be able to flash that I forgot to say anything! We had the bottom layer fruit and then the rest sponge - we also got some of the cutting bars as we had lots of people to cater form. The cake was really nice - we got the tester back too.

• C
    Beginner
    clairejj75 ·
    • Hide content

My brother had an M&S cake, the white roses and chocolate sponge one, which was delicious. They put a small arrangement of flowers on top and it looked really lovely. I thought it was excellent value.

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We're considering a m&s cake. Heard lots about how tasty there are. However we're also worried about the depth of the individual cake tiers?

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

Just found this pic from my friends wedding, she had the white pearl one. (sorry if its huge)

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

Did it look bit small in the flesh so to speak? Its pretty but Im also worried about the depth of the tiers, particularly on the round ones.... The square one looks a good depth though : )

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

No i didnt think it looked small at all to be honest. I agree the square one looks deeper doesnt it. I really love the one covered in roses. Anyone got a picture of this one??

I wish there was somewhere you could go and look at them.

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel the same. Wish they had them on display somewhere :-/

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I knowthey had them on display at the national wedding show but this is no help. You would think that big flagship stores like Bluewater or Marble Arch would have samples. Even if they were not actual cakes just plastic replicas.

Might pop into my local M&S and see if they do such thing.

• H
    Beginner September 2014
    halechap ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

can I ask where you got your stand from please ? and approx cost ? its the kind i'm looking for but most come in very expensive when searching

Thank you

Hayley x

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

Yes, OHs sister had it for hers and they just put a cake topper on top was so tasty they just had sponge.

Were going to have one to, plus with OHs discount on it I think we'll be foolish not to.

But i thought I'd add a flash too, this was OHs sis one:

(sorry its big not sure how to make it smaller!)

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    becs1975 ·
    • Hide content

Ok, so Mum & Dad have just picked up the cake from M & S, they've inserted the dowels & the ploystyrene separators, mums chucked some silk flowers in just to get an idea (Florist will be decorating on Saturday), I'm more than happy with it. It's plain, but it's well iced. Nice sizes. Bottom tier is fruitcake, next 2 tiers are sponge. Considering that it cost £102, I'm pretty pleased with that. After all, it just gets cut up and eaten.

Hope this h
    elps you

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

Looks great! Mind is now made up, thanks : ) x

• whitewine33
    Beginner September 2014
    whitewine33 ·
    • Hide content

My friend had a M&S cake it was amazing and looked great Smiley smile sorry if the picture is too big i dont know how to make it smaller Smiley atonished

• H
    Beginner September 2014
    halechap ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I have now found a stand like this, can you tell me which size m and s cakes they used on each tier and if they used the boards the cakes were provided on from m and s ? i have been comparing the sizes for the cake stand ( what each tier holds) and the m and s cakes and they don't seem to match correctly however i want this effect so wondered if you knew how it had worked ?

Thank you Hayley x

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

The stand was provided by the venue I'm afraid, the cakes came already on the boards.

The cakes were the medium, large and extra large tiers.

• Medium cake size: Diam 15.5cm, Cakeboard Diam 20.5cm
    • Large cake size: Diam 22.5cm, Cakeboard Diam 27.2cm
    • Extra large cake size: Diam 27.5cm, Cakeboard Diam 31.2cm

• H
    Beginner September 2014
    halechap ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats great thank you,

they are the ones i thought would be the size but they just didn't quite match the description of the stand on ebay however the one on amazon gave a differant description so its nice to have confirmation from someone whos used one , i'll go ahead a buy now

Thank you Hayley x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics