Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2014

What does everyone think to mood lighting?

Helybel, 25 of September of 2013 at 20:34 Posted on Planning 0 14

Ok, opinions please. Wedding planning is giving me a headache the past few days. I can't make simple decisions anymore! Our DJ company is offering LED uplighters if we want them. They could be on through the ceremony, breakfast and evening. They can flash in time to the music etc etc. I'm worried they may look naff or get on peoples nerves. Anyone else having these?

14 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 26 of April of 2014 at 21:22
  • *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I think simple uplighting for the room would look really nice, but I don't think I'd want it flashing in time with the music as that would probably do my head in.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We really wanted it at first through seeing videos, but after much consideration we decided it wasn't really necessary!
    Our venue has nice lights on the walls and we'll be happy with those, tealight candles and the lights dj provides, I don't think they're worth the extra £150 or something really as nice as they are.
    Besides they match colour scheme and ours is red, don't want the place to look like a brothel haha!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• NeonEvents
    NeonEvents ·
    • Hide content

Hi

You can turn the DMX (syncing to the music) on or off. You can have a static colour or have them fading in and out. £150 is around the average price for 10 uplighters. I'd probably expect a discount if I was ordering something else with them. They take up hardly any room in the van. Alternatively, they arn't too expensive so you could look at buying them yourself if you can think of other uses after your wedding.

Joanne

• Guy Wade
    Guy Wade ·
    • Hide content

Good lighting can make a MASSIVE difference to the look of a venue, depending on what's already there.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do be aware that if certain music is played with synced lights, this can trigger light sensitive epilepsy in some people if the rate is high. Theaters, studios and films will often warn about this in advance. Do be aware.....

Peter

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the venue. I had very soft purple led uplighters on during the evening - not flashing or anything - just to throw some colour up the walls. The walls were extremely high (Stately home venue) and white apart from the full height huge windows with big sash curtains.

I think it just made it look a bit softer and more eveningy.

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

Not a fan of mood lighting. Seem to see it a lot on American wedding shows, particularly during the meal. Personally, I like to see what I'm eating and they tend to darken the room too much.

Have you seen your DJ's set up at a venue with the lighting at all?

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I agree with this. We had uplighters and they really made the room but I wouldn't have had them flashing.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

I put in uplighters as standard.... not as an extra. The idea of them is to enhance the room. You can have them static colour all night... just ask your DJ.

I never tend to use mine to 'flash'. I often use the soft fade in the evening. I've never known them get on anyones nerves I must admit.

• Wedding DJ
    Wedding DJ ·
    • Hide content

Heres is a tip for every bride and groom when checking out venues - look at the room with the lights set as they would be during the dancing session - the lights will be set for this for about 50% of your time (mmm 50% of your time with your chosen DJ on your wedding day - perhaps you should get a experienced knowledgable one booked now!).

Some venues are absolutely aweful - village halls with strip lights - others have nicely dimmed wall lights. If you like what you see you do not really need uplighters - although if you want a red, pink, blue, violet coloured lighting..........

An uplighting package from your DJ can be added a bit closer to the actual date, if your budget allows.

• MrsOh
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsOh ·
    • Hide content

Yes to up lighting, would set a nice mood. No to the flashing, may give some a headache Smiley smile

x

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I think static mood lighting can look really effective and can make a big difference to venues which need a little something extra but perhaps they are restricted in what can be used (eg, not allowed to hang things from beams/marquee).

I'm not a fan of the moving ones either to be honest, they have to be done REALLY well to look good in my opinion.

• Photographers 24/7
    Photographers 24/7 ·
    • Hide content

Having static mood lighting can transform an ordinary room into something that looks enchanting. From a photographers point of view, mood lighting can make for some really great shots! Of course not every room needs (or would work with) mood lighting. If it is a dark walled room for example, the mood lighting will be rather ineffective as there is nothing for the lighting to bounce off. Some venues have great lighting as standard, perhaps chandeliers or even well laid out fairy lights, so it really depends on your venue, but if it is quite bland, mood lighting can make a huge difference.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Sounds a bit like this one.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics