Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner September 2014

No tears from mum :-/

future.mrs.c, 8 of September of 2013 at 10:08 Posted on Planning 0 36

Hi everyone,

I keep reading on here about everyone's mums crying when they see them in there dresses.

Mine didn't Smiley sad she says she loves my dress and I know she does. Feel a little bit disappointed there were no tears tho! Lol

36 replies

Latest activity by mum-wants-a-hat, 10 of September of 2013 at 09:44
  • Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Think yourself lucky, my mum described my dress as "practical"!

• Dinosaurs
    Beginner July 2014
    Dinosaurs ·
    • Hide content

How did the dress make you feel? That's the most important part. I had one dress that mum cried the whole shop stopped and stared but I didn't love it. Go by what you feel.

• emmiejune
    Beginner December 2013
    emmiejune ·
    • Hide content

I didn't get any tears from my mum, but then I didn't cry either! However, being as the FMIL apparently had tears of joy 'streaming down her face' after I told her I had booked an app to try the dress on so she could see, I am expecting a more emotional response that time!

• A
    Beginner September 2013
    AmzieM ·
    • Hide content

My mum didn't cry the first two times. Third time she had tears in her eyes. And she been telling everyone to have tissues as they will cry.
    I thought how can she tell anyone when she didn't herself. I think my dad will cry on Saturday when he sees me in it.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I didn't cry either but my daughter wasn't overly excited about trying on,buying it to start with. She originally wanted to hire one as she thought it was a waste of money but we couldn't find anyone in our area that did this. Afterwards, she fully intended to sell it but someone stuck their heel in the train on the danceflloor and ripped straight through all three layers Smiley sad

I made up for it on the day though. As soon as I saw her with her Dad walking down the aisle and start to say the vows, both me and Groom's Mum and both Grandma's were choking back the tears!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Neither did mine. It doesn't matter, there will definitely be tears on the day!

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh dear Smiley sad

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. Pleased to see not only me. Smiley smile

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content

My mum didn't cry. She didn't even like my dress the first time I tried it on. She loves it now though. One of my bridesmaids sobbed, she was heavily pregnant though so I'm not sure it counts. Very hormonal bless her.

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

I don't think my mum has liked a single dress I've shown her so far... Never mind!

• F
    Beginner November 2013
    FutureBright ·
    • Hide content

I said I wanted tears but there wasn't any, but I love my dress and so does my mum. We have made changes to the dress and it is even better than before as long as you LOVE your dress then that is all that matters.

• Rosco298
    Beginner February 2014
    Rosco298 ·
    • Hide content

My Mum didn't cry neither did I. We're not a family who cry much so I didn't expect tears. I've only seen family members cry at funerals so I don't expect any on the day either. Some people just don't cry for happy reasons. Maybe your Mum's like that too.

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Haha that's quite funny. Bless her!

My mum nodded off in her wheel chair during me trying on different dresses. Had to wake her up and she said "u look lovely dear" no tears thou.

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

My mum has cried at every single dress I've tried on so far....helpful much!! My 6yr old daughter cried at one of the dresses too but I'm not sure if that was just because I didn't try the monstrosity that she picked out...

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

My mum isn't an 'emotional' woman, however she did admit afterwards that she welled up the first time she saw me in a white dress, even though it wasnt the right one. but after seeing me try on twenty more the 'novelty' wore off and she loves the dress i chose and was very happy for me but didnt tear up unlike the first time she saw her little girl in a white dress. if she hadnt have told me this i wouldnt have known she welled up though, you might not notice someone being choked for a moment. x

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Everyone shows emotion different anyway, i'm sure she felt it really but I bet you anything on your big day she'll be bubbling Smiley laugh

• D
    Beginner August 2014
    Deb11 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not holding out for tears - when I tried on my bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding she said "I've seen you in nicer things"! Thanks mum!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Some people just aren't "happy criers" - I'm one. I just don't cry at happy/romantic things; only at sad events or when I get frustrated and overwhelmed with something. I didn't cry at my own wedding, much to my H's frustration - he was trying to get me in his speech!

Mum shed a few tears when she first saw me try on a wedding dress, even though it was nowhere near "the one" - I think it was the significance of the moment rather than the dress itself. She didn't see me in my actual dress until the day, and I don't think she cried then, unless she was very subtle.

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

My mum had tears in her eyes but not streaming and kept saying lovely lovely!

it made me feel like a princess... Ive never had that feeling before!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Neither my mum or I cried but we both love my dress! I was surprised as I normally well up at just about anything and so does mum. We decided that the emotion will show on the day itself so we joked about where I could keep the tissues instead!!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry, when I tried dresses on, there was one I loved (not off the hangar, I had actually refused to try it on!) but I loved how I looked and fel in it. Mum said I looked 'nice'. I was hopng for a bit more than that, but oh well, and on the day she saw me with the veil, shoes etc and said how amazing I looked. Go by how you feel.

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

No tears here either! Although we've only been to one shop and she knows I'm only looking for shapes (getting one made for me through a friend's factory contact)
    She did like to point out the ones she didn't like though, haha! Smiley tongue

• MrsBeckiW
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsBeckiW ·
    • Hide content

My mum and sister got teary eyed a little bit for about three dresses. They are always full of compliments and tell me I look great in every dress.

I told them afterwards that I was disappointed there weren't more tears :p

I cried myself when I realised that I couldn't afford a dress I liked, which made me realise that I HAD to afford it Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner August 2014
    sdurn ·
    • Hide content

I was expecting my mum to cry as everyone else who had seen me in the dress had, even the shop owner.
    she did Nothing, she kinda just looked at it, no facial expression.... nothing.

She says she likes it but im worried that deep down she hates it. she said there was to much pressure on her to cry so she didn't.

I was expecting tears and big cheesy you look beautiful grins..... but nothing :/.

• F
    Beginner February 2014
    Follies123 ·
    • Hide content

My mum didn't cry, neither did my Nan and in fact I didn't cry either! However they both absolutely love my dress as do I! Don't worry xx

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

My mum didn't cry; either at trying it on or on the day itself and it didn't bother me. I'm the youngest of 5 kids - 4 girls so I think my mum had toughened up! She still loved it and paid me compliments throughout the day but she's just not that kind of person - I think the whole family just aren't like that - myself included.

• K
    Beginner October 2013
    knig0004 ·
    • Hide content

Yup, mine didn't cry either. After giving me a lecture the night before about going for something classic and not OTT, she then preferred me in a big meringue and wasn't overly keen on the plain understated one i loved!

In the end, i went for something different and no one has seen me in it yet. First fitting is hopefully this Sat with my mum - there better be some tears this time! LOL

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. I tried about 15 dresses on, on saturday. I found 'the one' twice, until I went to York and actually found THE dress. Its beautiful but I cant spend half the remaining budget on a dress. Now I have to start saving!!! Its a good sign that its been all I can think about today. Try finding ways you can cut the cost down. The shop I am getting my dress from wanted to charge me £170 for a cathedral length train but I can get one from eBay for a tenner. Its brand new too.

I doubt my mum will cry, my dress is strapless (she hates strapless dresses, they're tacky apparently) but I have a lace bolero that covers the front of the dress and has a keyhole back. Shes not an emotional person. She didnt cry at my sisters dress or wedding either. I did though. Enough for all three of us!!

• K
    Beginner July 2014
    Koshka85 ·
    • Hide content

I know what you mean! I haven't actually found my dress yet, but have tried on a fair few - some of them have been beautiful and have really liked them.. though no tears from me or mother yet - makes me think maybe they aren't the one, but then what happens if no tears ever come! I'll just keep trying and trying! xxx

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

My mum didn't cry when I went to uni, graduated, got engaged, tried on my wedding dress, on the day itself, or when I gave birth to her first grandchild (she was there during my labour).

She cried when my brother went to uni and when I asked her about it she said "Oh well, you don't need me really so I didn't cry, but he's an idiot!" ?

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

My mum didn't cry either.. I bought the dress by myself- took her after, all I got was ''oh nice' .. didn't even get any compliments on my actual wedding day either ?

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. Maybe everyone's mums don't cry after all. Feel much better Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics