Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Skeptical78
Beginner September 2013

A line has been crossed...

Skeptical78, 27 of August of 2013 at 14:10 Posted on Planning 0 37

You think that interfering female friends are bad...

I went to the pub at the weekend with OH and a couple of his mates.

Anyway, we somehow got onto the topic of the wedding night, and OH's mate, (let's call him 'D') started banging on about how he insisted on consummating his marriage- sounds a bit rapey to me, but anyway- on the night of the wedding. I laughed and said that we'd both be too drunk to consummate anything, and he got all weird and huffy and started telling us that we 'had' to...that we 'will'...because it's what we 'should' do, because it's 'special'. ?

I know that it's a really important part of the day for some people, but I personally found his attitude a bit weird and medieval, like making some sort of sexual 'claim' on his new wifely property. He then proceeded to lecture us about how we won't drink much because we'll be too busy going around talking to people, etc. etc. As far as I'm concerned, if people want to talk to me then...HELLO, I'm the one in the big white dress, they can come and find me! (I'll be at the bar) I'm more than happy for people to offer the benefit of their own experience, but telling us what we should and shouldn't do?! Come on.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to go "save myself" like some precious virgin bride and go without a drink just so I can get some nookie (which I can get ANY TIME) on my wedding night. And it'll most likely be poor quality nookie, because- after several bottles of Prosecco, by the time I've fought my way out of my dress, we'll both be physically and emotionally exhausted- and the last thing we'll want to do is the beast with two backs, if you catch my drift. I'd rather just leave it than go through the motions just because it's our wedding night. There's nothing worse than a high pressure situation to c*ck up a "c*ck up"...

OH thought he was being ridiculous.

I don't know why, but his basically telling us what we should / shouldn't do in a very personal area really got my back up. What the actual hell business is it of his!? I hate being told what to do.

It ended up with him making a £10 bet with me that I wouldn't be hammered by the end of the night. Challege accepted. Cocky sod.

Not entirely sure of the point of this post, other than to ask, has anyone else had people offer 'advice' to them on quite personal things relating to the wedding?!

37 replies

Latest activity by *MM3*, 29 of August of 2013 at 23:40
  • *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Haha, what an idiot (and yes, a little bit rapey).

OH and I know for a fact we will be too drunk for any shenanigans and I don't think any of my married friends actually managed to 'get lucky' on their wedding days as they were too tired anyway!

• Kimblebee
    Beginner May 2014
    Kimblebee ·
    • Hide content

This just wound me up reading it on my lunch break, so I can imagine how annoyed you must have felt at the time!

What a complete and utter idiot. It's his wife I feel sorry for!

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is the thing, he's usually a really laid back, funny bloke. He just went all weird about this! Very out of character.

He does like to get a bit 'preachy' though. I'm dreading when we finally have a kid. I'll need to brace myself for the avalanche of parenting 'advice' that will come our way from his direction...

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

My friend ended up sleeping in her wedding dress as the groom passed out drunk at there was noone to help her out of it lol. Sounds like abit of an arse tbf

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Just give me the wink wink on the day and I'll get you some unflattering blackmail worthy photos of D for you ?

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? This will be me! I can't see my OH getting to grips with a crochet hook after a few jars. Oh well, it's a few layers thick, at least I'll be comfy!

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha!! DONE! ?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I do "love" know alls.....This link is about those they "think" know the answer to childhood......sort of unrelated although related in a wider way...

http://www.thurb.com/humour/octopus.htm

Peter

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

Haha I have already told OH I will probably want my bed after the wedding as starts at 2.30 and finishes at 1am. Not like we have never done it before and have plenty of time after the wedding.

My friend was the same when she got married came to my room to help her out the dress as her husband was passed out drunk so Im not expecting much from either of us!

• samwiches
    Beginner August 2013
    samwiches ·
    • Hide content

Utterly mad. I'll be up at 6:30am (and that's if I manage to stay asleep until my alarm goes off!), probably won't have slept much the night before, won't roll into bed until gone 1am, possibly will be sozzled, and I have IBS, which will mostly likely be making me feel dreadful, so I've already told the nearly-husband that there will be no chance of wedding night nookie. That's what the honeymoon's for! Not that it's any of "D"'s business anyway - I would be fuming!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

This mate sounds like a right c*ck!

Me and my OH will now doubt be way to drunk on the night of our wedding to do any of that but we've said we're going to try and sneak off for half an hour to an hour for some "alone time" AKA quick shag with dress hitched up! Lol. Sorry if that's TMI.

Personally I couldn't give 2 hoots what other people think is the correct thing to do. Like you said, you can have nookie any time and you're not a virgin so why worry about doing it on the wedding night?? Blimmin morons!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

We weren't drunk at all ( I had one drink all day and H didn't have much more) but we were too tired (and excited about going on honeymoon next day) to DTD. Like it mattered ?

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

No sex for me either.... Not that we were too trashed, oh falls asleep in seconds and our wedding night was no different. Not at all disappointed- I doubt I could have been arsed to really go at it hammer and tongs anyway!

As for Mr 'D', this riled me. What a complete twunt! I think it shouts of denial.... Any fella who makes such a point of trying to appear manly must be in the closet by my reckoning!

D1ck head!

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

What a knob. I'm sure a large amount people are too drunk, tired, stuck in layers of tulle to actually insist on wedding night nookie. Anyway, we've been at it for years already so the relationship is well and truly consummated and the marriage will be by the time we're back off honeymoon ?.

He definitely sounds like a sex pest, haha. If I were you I'd just make sure you're not too drunk to lock the door in case he wants to come and check you're fulfilling your wifely duties! ?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

DearLord- we were both far to pissed to even attempt sex. What a ridiculous notion.

Much better to wait until you arrive in your room on honeymoon when you have time to enjoy it.

(the plane was out for me on account of the amount of lorazepam I had taken- I couldn't stand let alone anything jiggy in the loos.)

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

What an idiot. Drinking aside, my body was absolutely battered from being in a corset and heels for 12 hours and I was shattered from being awake for 20. Sex was the last thing on my mind!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Our Best Man was incredibly shocked to find that we'd either being going home with the children on our wedding night or sharing a family room in a hotel. He got all " but it's your wedding night, you're not properly married until you do it"... so we thanked him for his kind offer to babysit the boys. He soon shut up.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I've been waiting to use this word since I spotted it on here and now is the perfect opportunity - what a twunt! I really am totally amazed by the amount of things people have an opinion on what you should or shouldn't do when getting married and there's been lots of occasions already when I have to fought back the urge to stand up and scream P*ss Off! It's my wedding and I'll do what I bl00dy well like! (I've gone for the slightly nicer version of 'each to their own I guess', with a forced smile) but nothing quite so personal as this! How strange...

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

It's so strange - I thought I would be how you are expecting to be but I had the exact same experience as your OH's mate. I wouldn't presume to tell other people that they would have that experience too though. I loved talking to our guests so much I didn't think to drink, people had to keep coming up and offering them to me.
    Our venue has a night club underneath and OH and I were keen to carry on the party with some of his uni mates but our parent were having lunch withs us next day and so called us a cab. FIL came up behind me and said "We've ordered you a cab" and then I might of been a bit tipsy because I wailed (thinking FIL had walked off) "Waaah, I have to go home and have sex now" but FIL hadn't gone anywhere ? . He just laughed and said "Siobhan, we think you're brilliant."
    In the end, the taxi never showed and so we walked back to our hotel and had the perfect party for two.

• queenbbb
    Beginner March 2015
    queenbbb ·
    • Hide content

He sounds like a real winner... but really just ignore him.

I haven't received any unsolicited advice yet but probably will receive tons before actual wedding.

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Is he one of those people that only get sex on special occasions Smiley winking x

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

He sounds odd.

My husband fell asleep in the bath by the time I'd managed to remove my dress. I left him sleeping...

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Yup, you better get on and do there and then because you'll never get to do the deed again! .. oh wait, i forgot. thats total boll**ks.

its a very outdated motion, but it makes me wonder how many men think still think its the 'done thing'

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

He sounds like an absolute delight.

H and I never had sex on our wedding night. I went to bed alone, and H stayed up playing on his Xbox...

• E
    Beginner July 2014
    Excitedbridetobe2014 ·
    • Hide content

He sounds like a complete idiot!

• TheMrsMeFo
    Beginner April 2015
    TheMrsMeFo ·
    • Hide content

What a jerk!!! He maybe doesn't get it much at home and only on birthdays, christmas etc?!!

I reckon my and OH will be too tired and drunk to even think about it at the end of the night, personally I like the idea of waking up the next day as our first full day of MR and MRS and DTD then as I think that makes it more special, can't beat a bit of morning sex anyways ?

So far the only 'advice' I've been told is that I won't be able to get drunk as I'll have too much adrenalin with all the excitement of the day and as I'll be too busy talking to people. Weddings / Marriage is just like being pregnant / had a baby - everyone seems to become an expert in it over night and feel the need to hound their advice on to you!!! I'll be taking it all with a pinch of salt.

• G
    Beginner August 2013
    golden ·
    • Hide content

To add to all this. the night before the wedding I could not sleep (managed 3 hours). I spent a day fighting dehydration (it was hot). So barely touched booze. I talked to everyone, danced loads. Reasonably early on hubby (squeee) and I quit for the night. Talked a lot and snuggled into a comatose state with our feet killing us. Woke early, shagged like rabbits and then started the packing up. Not a traditional take. But NOONE was nosey/ rude/ childish enough to do any nudge nudge wink wink or try to tell us what we should do. saying that there were various bedding ceremony (GOT) jokes ... but not in a actual at us way.To the friend .. well each to their own, obviously sex isof high importance emotionally? (ok that's being really nice). very weird to me! Marriage has not somehow legitamised our sexual relatiinship for me. It has added to our emotional one though.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for reassuring me everyone! I am not going mad, and he is an idiot.

This is a really interesting point. People obviously have different priorities. OH and I just aren't 'sexy' people, we really don't go in for any of that malarkey. We still giggle like kids about 'rudies' and probably have a very immature relationship in that sense. In fact, if it came to it, I could probably quite happily have a completely platonic relationship. It really wouldn't bother me. I get more pleasure from eating than from s*x! ? But it doesn't mean that I love him any the less, and I know for a fact (from a number of drunken conversations) that we still bonk more often than several friends of ours! It's not a priority though. If it happens, great. If it doesn't we don't sweat it.

Oh, and FWIW, we're morning people too... ?

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

We didn't.

On account that we didn't get to bed. We went clubbing. ?

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha! This is what I want to do! But OH reckons we'll be too knackered...boo... ?

(I'll just go with my sisters!)

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    clareio ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^This!

in fact every word of it!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

We were proper rock 'n' roll on our wedding night. We had a shower each, a cup of horlicks and went straight to bed!

I was knackered by the time it was bed time, I'd been awake for 20 hours, i had bruises and cuts from where my corset had broken and dug into my ribs, my feet were killing me and i was so HOT I couldn't bear to be near D!

Ignore the friend. His advice is annoying but there's no point in keeping bringing it up with him because he's just going to annoy you even more. Ignore, ignore, ignore.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics