Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

wedding band question - scratches and scuffs

17 of August of 2013 at 12:06 Posted on Planning 0 15

Originally I was planning on getting a simple platinum band. But my platinum engagement band has got really scuffed and scratched since getting engaged only last December (lifting kids climbing equipment at work!) and I'm worried if I get a plain band it will show up every scuff. Has anyone experienced this? I've looked into patterned platinum bands but I'm worried that if my fingers swell as I get older (common family problem) I won't be able to get it enlarged if it's patterned. I don't know what to do. It'll annoy me if it gets all scratched but at the same time I'll be gutted if I can't put my ring on or get it altered if need be later on.

15 replies

Latest activity by ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 19 of August of 2013 at 17:13
  • *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Platinum is a really strong metal so I'm surprised your ER has got so scratched.

I worked in a jewellers for a little while and patterned bands can be resized

• Chippet
    Beginner January 2014
    Chippet ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, I dont have any advice, but am interested to know what people advise. My ring is the same (also engaged last December) - I'm a veterinary nurse, so quite a physical job.

I've been told the marks can be 'polished out'?

• S
    Beginner August 2014
    Syrupie ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at rings like this:

http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/76977410/love-rocks-4mm-14k-palladium-white-gold?ref=pr_faveitems

They are less likely to show scratches

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I have a white gold wedding band, and after two years it's definitely not as shiny as it was, there are tiny scratches all over, though nothing deep that wouldn't polish out. But I don't really mind - it just shows that it's been with me and been through everything I've been through in the last two years.

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I have a platinum ER and WB, from Mappin and Webb, like this:

My ER does get scuffed and even though I have only had WB on for two weeks there are a few small marks on it. Mine are able to go in for an annual service, but obv only my ER has been in so far, but just before the wedding I took in my ER to be polished so it would be just as shiny as my brand new WB. They did it while I waited, took about 2 mins!

There are two ways they clean them - they can drop them in the sonic cleaner, this de-greases them and gets all the cr@p out from around the stone, but they can also give them a quick polish as well and that sorts the scuffs and little scratches and hey presto, it is like new.

If you think about it, the vast majority of wedding bands are plain! Actually my Mum's is patterned, but shes never had to have it increased as she is still slim as a whippet!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Any metal will show signs of scuffing over time; the original polish that all rings have at the time of the wedding don't last, I'm afraid as there will inevitably be other surfaces harder than whatever metal your ring is made of (barring possibly titanium). This is why when I make a wedding ring for someone, I get the ER polished too, to restore the shine Smiley smile They often have a rhodium plate on them as well (if they are platinum or white gold) which looks a lot shiner

You can always try buffing with a bit of fairy liquid on a toothbrush, rinse then give it a rub with a metal polishing cloth (should be able to get one on amazon and the like) which can help restore some sheen.

Patterned bands can be stretched up, but be aware that there is only a finite amount of times that can be done before the metal gets thin - if you have a condition that causes swelling knuckles for example, you may have to stretch the ring farther than it can go. Plain bands have the advantage of being able to have bits added in/taken out without any visible trace - handy for hands that change size! Smiley smile

And as with the normal ring, the scuffs will show eventually and polishing up a patterned ring is more tricky as over time you can lose the definition, depending on the sort of pattern that you go for.

TBH, the time that you really notice the scuffs is soon after you wear it, they eventually make a quite even sheen on a band and if it still bothers you, you can take it to a jeweller to have polished up without much problem (Hatton Garden is full of places you could take it to, as is the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham)

Hope that's helpful!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Any metal will show signs of scuffing over time; the original polish that all rings have at the time of the wedding don't last, I'm afraid as there will inevitably be other surfaces harder than whatever metal your ring is made of (barring possibly titanium). This is why when I make a wedding ring for someone, I get the ER polished too, to restore the shine Smiley smile They often have a rhodium plate on them as well (if they are platinum or white gold) which looks a lot shiner

You can always try buffing with a bit of fairy liquid on a toothbrush, rinse then give it a rub with a metal polishing cloth (should be able to get one on amazon and the like) which can help restore some sheen.

Patterned bands can be stretched up, but be aware that there is only a finite amount of times that can be done before the metal gets thin - if you have a condition that causes swelling knuckles for example, you may have to stretch the ring farther than it can go. Plain bands have the advantage of being able to have bits added in/taken out without any visible trace - handy for hands that change size! Smiley smile

And as with the normal ring, the scuffs will show eventually and polishing up a patterned ring is more tricky as over time you can lose the definition, depending on the sort of pattern that you go for.

TBH, the time that you really notice the scuffs is soon after you wear it, they eventually make a quite even sheen on a band and if it still bothers you, you can take it to a jeweller to have polished up without much problem (Hatton Garden is full of places you could take it to, as is the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham)

Hope that's helpful!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not technically a metal (in the pure sense) but my wedding ring is made of tungsten carbide and it is as shiny as the day it was made. It leaves marks in bricks.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics