Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2014

ER Rant

Sept2014Bride, 16 of August of 2013 at 09:51 Posted on Planning 0 12

Good morning

Apologies in advance for this rant but I just need to get it off my chest before I actually start ranting at the family!

So my OH proposed to me on Christmas day, it was a total shock. The ring was beautiful and it was clear he had put a lot of thought into it - it was perfect, we hadn’t looked at rings and yet he chose "the one" roll on 8 months and his sister announces she is engaged and flashed her ring..... its almost identical. Now whilst I was a little upset (as it was the same) I thought well she didn’t know what her OH was going to pick until she told me she picked her ring but decided to get a bigger diamond in the middle so it wasn’t exactly the same! I know it’s not a big deal and it’s pathetic but I just feel really hurt by it as to me the Ering is such a personal item and why choose one that is the same.

Sorry rant over, maybe it’s my hormones or the stress of guest lists getting to me ?

Have a fab weekend every one and good luck to those who are getting “Hitched”

xxxx

12 replies

Latest activity by havecreditwillwed, 16 of August of 2013 at 15:05
  • Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure she wasn't doing it to delibrately upset you. Take it as a compliment that she loved yours so much she wanted one similar ?

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. They do say copying is the highest form of flattery ;-)

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Oh that sucks, just need to get a really nice WR to go with it Smiley winking x

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

Take it as a compliment! Your ring is obviously beautiful and that's why she wanted to copy it. Plus unfortunately most 'normal' style engagement rings are v similar, unless you have a very unusual one!

• J
    Beginner July 2014
    Jadeyjade ·
    • Hide content

I'm with you we announced we were engaged at our family engagement meal fsil announced she was also engaged we then announced a date and fmil announced her date (we already knew from her friends for a year before she bothered to tell us!) now me and oh feel like telling them the day before the wedding they can come so they can't rain on our parade! she asks how I'm getting on and iv just told her iv not set anything in stone yet we have pushed our wedding back so we can attend their weddings and then ours so it doesn't feel like we are attending ours 3 times lol iv also lied about the venue good job to because sil has booked it for hers in feb! X

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

How similar? What sort of ring? Lots of rings look really similar, if you both like the same fundamental style. I really recommend forgetting all about it. Smiley smile

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

She obviously chose it, because she liked it. That design doesn't belong to you, she has every right to choose whatever ring she wants... It's not that "personal" when it has just been chosen from a shop, that leaves it open for numerous other people to have the same ring...

First world problems eh?!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol, wonderfully brutally accurate.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

Was the ring designed specifically by your OH? If not then that is something you just have to deal with. My ring is almost identical to my friends and my mums just because I prefer the round solitaires and it was what I told OH I wanted.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

Engagement rings, just like everything else, go through waves of what is fashioable/unfashionable so unfortunately it does mean that people who get engaged around the same few years have very similar rings. Everyone I know who got engaged 3-10 years ago has a square cut solitaire, everyone who got engaged in the last 2 years has a round solitaire.

Try not to let it get you down. If I was you I would feel slightly smug that my fiance was capable of picking out such a great ring himself!

• H
    Beginner May 2014
    Helybel ·
    • Hide content

A lot of engagement rings just do look the same. Yours obviously looks really nice on you and she's wanted similar. It's also made special by the surprise proposal and the fact you OH knew you well enough to pick out the perfect ring. My ring has an unusual cut, but I suspect only I can see it because I know what it is. To everyone else it probably looks like a normal square cut.

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Sept2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the responses, I am perhaps over thinking this ? and as most of you said I should be flattered.

Have a fab weekend, I hope the rain clears up!

xxx

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

Unless your OH had is designed or went for a really unusual one off, then you have to let it go. There is not a huge variation and I bet most brides fall into:

- Solitare diamond on plain white gold/plat band

- 3 diamonds in a row on plain white gold/plat band

- american style diamond surrounded by smaller diamonds on diamond band.

Sometimes there are 4 claws holding the diamond, sometimes 6. Sometimes you can see the side of the diamond, sometimes no. Thats basically the options in a nutshell.

8 months is a pretty long time. She didn't steal your thunder. you should try to be happy for her - you'll be related to her soon!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics