Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Skeptical78
Beginner September 2013

Question for medical bods! (bit TMI)

Skeptical78, 15 of May of 2013 at 12:41 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

I've tried calling my doctor's to ask this, but no-one is answering. Standard really.

Basically, I have a smear test booked this afternoon (told you it was TMI!). The reason I've made the appointment is because in the last few months I've been having quite heavy bleeding in between periods and light spotting pretty much all the time.

Problem is, I've now heard that you can't have a smear whilst on your period. But, I'm on ALL THE TIME at the moment...it's only light today, but still- will they be able to do the test? I want it done asap as I want to rule out any nasties, but I don't know if they'll just turn me away. I may well make another appointment at a different time, just to have the same thing again.

What do I do??

Thanks guys. Sorry it's gross. Tried Googling but getting conflicting info.

12 replies

Latest activity by HAG13, 16 of May of 2013 at 09:39
  • Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Having only been for one smear I haven't got much experience but I did think that you shouldn't go during your period. Sounds like you need to go to the docs anyway though so you could use the appointment to talk to them about whats going on

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I was under the impression that they like to do them when you aren't menstruating because the blood can interfere with the swob so could give an abnormal reading.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I'd heard. I made the appointment because I'd already spoken with the doctor and she'd advised me to. Not sure what to do now really!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'd say go to the appointment as arranged, when you get there then discuss with the nurse that you having the spotting, and say as it's pretty much all month there wouldn't really be a time when you weren't on to do the smear. See what they say and they may do an examination anyway to see. I had a lot of blood in a smear once (not on period, just because of the 'trauma' to my bits!) and it came back fine, they were able to do the tests needed.

Are you on the mini pill? I bled all month with it?

Definately go, even if it's jus to talk to them about it.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, I think I will. Doc seems pretty sure that it is the pill which is causing it, rather than any other nasties. I had one abnormal one before but they did it again and it was fine.

I know what you mean about the 'trauma'...the last one I had done was horrid! Blood everywhere. Still better to get it done than risk the alternative, I suppose- however unpleasant!

• LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content

Defo go and see your doc over this, better to be on the safe side even if to put your mind at rest.

Is it the doc you are seeing or the nurse? Not sure if seeing the nurse she will be able to help with the medical side of it, if its more than just a standard smear.

Good luck, I hate these things, I'm a few years behind on mine Smiley sad

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I rearranged one for the following week because I was spotting. However in your case I would go, explain there isn't a time when you aren't spotting and hopefully they will just do one regardless and hope for the best.

I have had so much rummaging, scans and procedures down there that being tickled by (what looked like) a rubber pastry brush is nothing. No blood or anything. Maybe I have a good nurse!

Good luck.

Leelee - Get your butt on the phone to your doctors NOW!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I cancel whenever this happens. I had to cancel my most recent one three times! The pills I have tried have all caused crazy bleeding like you, but it seems to have settled down a bit now and they managed to get it done. Results came back normal this time thankfully.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I'd go, explain the problem and that the doctor recommended it, and get it done. There's a chance if there's too much blood it'll make the results difficult/impossible to read, but it could be alright. It's definitely worth getting properly investigated though, so make sure you follow it up with your GP once the smear is all done.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I have to have annual smears due to problems in the past. I'm almost sure that they won't test while you are bleeding. It's not just blood that can interfere with a result but also hormones. There is only a couple of days each month that are perfect for smears. Tests done on other days can cause results to wrongly come back as abnormal or insufficient.

I would still go to the appointment and discuss your situation.

Many Family Planning Centres run drop in smear test sessions, it may be that you have to have your test done there if you only have the odd day clear.

❤️ I know it's really worrying.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

I went. Got done. It was fine! Results in a couple of weeks; hopefully I won't have to go back.

The (lovely) nurse gave me a very interesting explanation about how they used to literally 'smear' the cells on slides so they could look for abnormal cells- hence 'smear test' I suppose!- but now it's all done by using one of those centrifuge things you see in labs and this gets rid of most of the 'other' material so all that's left is the stuff they're interested in. So having a bit of bleeding isn't so much of an issue these days.

Probing and learning in the same day.

I had to laugh though; she accidentally opened the curtain whilst I was putting my tights back on and apologised profusely. I just laughed and said 'You've just looked up my vag...I don't have a problem with you seeing me in my tights!'

Aren't we British funny?

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahahahaha!! Classic!!!!

Glad it went well for you though!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics