Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becklarrr
Beginner

Mother's Day

Becklarrr, 5 of March of 2013 at 11:01 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 37

What have people got for their Mum's for Mother's Day? Anyone doing anything nice with their Mum's? Any new Mum's doing anything nice for their first Mother's Day?

37 replies

Latest activity by Barefoot, 9 of March of 2013 at 21:11
  • Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Going to my brothers, he is doing a big family roast for us all!

Ive got her this https://www.fromyoutome.com/journals/dearmumsketch.html

it is full of questions for my mum to answer about her childhood, meeting dad etc. the idea is that she fills it out then gives it back to me.

It might sound a bit soppy but mum said to my brother and I recently that she finds it a bit sad that as older relative are dieing, there are so many family stories that they are taking with them that us young 'uns wont know! So hopefully she'll appreciate it and wont think that i think she is due to pop her clogs!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I never buy presents for mother's day and father's day. Am I odd?

I buy a card but that's it. I'll probably pop over so she can cook my dinner! Ha!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Although I sent her this last week so I might get her a nice bottle of cab sav.

• *button*
    Beginner August 2012
    *button* ·
    • Hide content

Me too Kharv! To me they're similar to Valentines Day and I don't really see the point. I like to plan nice days out with my mum and will bring her flowers randomly when I go to visit but not just because it's Mother's Day.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

I will be going to church with her on Sunday Morning, making a card for her as it is impossible to find Mam cards, and probably buying her a bunch of flowers, I don't do Fathers Day as that is just made up by Clintons, Mothering Sunday is a regilous day so I do celebrate it.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I've got my mum a card - that's all we ever do.

Hoping my offspring have remembered, but D1 is having a pretty sh1t time of it at the mo so I shan't mind if she hasn't.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

My sister and I have clubbed together to get Mum some new perfume she has been hinting about. I will probably get her some flowers too as she doesn't get them at any other time.

I'm doubting I will officially be a mummy by mothers day so we are just heading over to my mums for dinner.

• BowlingBride
    Beginner September 2012
    BowlingBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Card factory have mam cards, i had a whinge about this and was pointed in that direction they have about ten different ones, i guess it depends where you live though this was newcastle.

Its my mam's birthday on the 14th so shes getting joint gifts as shes away on her birthday, we've got her some joe browns clothes and i'm attempting to make a paper panda type effort which may fail miserably.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

We may go to my aunts as we did last year, the children cooked and the mums just got stressed that they weren't in control of it!

If we don't do that I'll probably go home and see her, I've got her a card and a cardi she wanted. I'll maybe pick up a take away on the way home. When my Granny was alive she always made a fuss of her, and we went out for a massive family meal. I feel like my mum misses my Granny greatly on mother's day so thats why I try and make an effort.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awww. Smiley smile

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Also in the North East, first port of call was the Card Factory but they were sold out!

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

Ill be buying my mum flowers and a bottle of wine, which is what I normally get her as she doesn't 'do' Mother's Day. I'm making cupcakes for MIL and getting flowers.

Were going out for a meal at night but its my birthday so it's half for that too.

• BowlingBride
    Beginner September 2012
    BowlingBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They have plenty in newcastle i bought a couple yesterday, its the only place i've seen them might be worth another try they may have restocked.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

My mum gets angry about Mothers Day so we don't have to do anything for her. She says she has a birthday when we can buy her presents if we want to! I'm not arguing.

Will have to do somehting for the MIL though I suppose. I really dislike Mothers Day, we barely see her and only speak to her when shes got a 'job' that she needs doing at home. But if we didn't bother we'd be in the bad books.

I like the idea of it when kids are little and you make cards etc but as you get older (especially in my MIL's case) I think it gets pointless and just about spending money for the sake of it. I might feel differently if I had children or a better MIL!

*Gets off soapbox now, but I'm keeping my Mothers Day scrooge style hat on*

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

If Im not going to see here, i usually just send a card.

Its only because Im seeing her and the story i wrote that made me think to get her a gift!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

One year my mum said "Oh don't waste your money on me, it's just another day, don't bother". So my brother and I didn't bother..... resulting in a massive sulk that we'd not bothered!

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Its going to be a birthday celebration too. We couldnt decide what to do for mum's birthday (with dad being poorly) so on Mother's Day, we are all piling down to mum and dads and are having a mini "hog roast" type thingy. MIL is coming too so will be killing 2 birds with one stone. The focus will be really on mums birthday with a massive M&S cake, banners, balloons, etc etc.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I took my Mam for a meal Sunday gone as I can't get up to visit next weekend, and I'll send her a card. I've never made a big fuss to be honest.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Me and my eldest bro are going halves and giving her a voucher to the garden centre.. as for the mil she can have a bouqet from morrisons..

and with the kids at work we've done a teapot with vintage cath kidstone type wallpaper , got a lovely little poem in welsh along with the good ole teabag and were making a flower sponge cake with wooden tags .. if I was a mum and had one of these little cards id be well chuffed ?.. but I do think mothers/fathers day is a complete con

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I've made my Mum a bracelet and earring set.

We don't do much as it's just another day. I tell her all the time how much I love and appreciate her. Plus, i've given her 2 grandsons, what more could she want?

C's school is doing a Mother's day dinner on Thursday. As a Mum, I don't like Mother's day.

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

Got her a card and her flowers will be delivered in Sunday. We will all go to church then I'll take her to lunch just the two of us.

i really haven't had the best relationship with my mother for a long time but we are moving past that and I think this is a nice time to let her know just how much I love and appreciate her.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I'll send a card and maybe some flowers. Her birthday was only 3 weeks ago, and I took her and Dad out for a really nice day in Greenwich, so I kind of feel like I've used up my good present ideas for now!

Feel a bit guilty as both her kids will be out of the country (sis lives in Germany and I'll be skiing) but hope she knows she's still loved!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I've got her a nice card and will bake her some cupcakes. Although she'll totally expect that.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd quite like one of those!!!

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

To me, Mother's Day is about homemade stuff and spending time together.

i always make a card, and this year she will have a bouquet of choc dipped strawberries and a DVD (pat & Margaret - classic Victoria Wood).

hopefully my gift will be better than the bright pink oversize 'number 1 best yummy mummy' tshirt I got last year. It was horrid! I wore it to bed for a week and then hid it in a drawer!

Hubby is making me a nice lunch and then I am going to mums in afternoon and my stepdad is cooking tea!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is that not a contradiction? You've said you think its about homemade stuff and spending time togther then go on to say you hope your gift is better than last year!

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I meant better as in more thought about it. I know for a fact hubby got that tshirt the day before in a rush!

I look forward to my boy making things for me out of loo rolls and cornflake boxes!

• J
    judylew ·
    • Hide content

More than a gift, i spent the entire day with mum last year.Took her to her fav places. watched a play. and at the end had a lovely dinner for the both of you.Guys, time is what is the most valuable gift you can give to your beloved one.I gave me to my mum.

On this Mother's day i have booked for her a beauty salon appointment at Laspatherapiedrogheda.ie

I too will go with my mum and will spend quality time together.
    Do the same ... and add love to Life.

Thanks

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

I've got her a card and a cute ceramic coaster. I don't buy anything expensive as she's not really into "things".

We're going for afternoon tea on Saturday and will probably go for a walk before to work up an appetite.

Taking my Mum out for a while is the best thing I can do for her.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

I got my Mum this:

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats lovely Pompey!

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I have got her a living social voucher for her and me to go to a tappinyaki place one day next week for a meal. I had her last year for Mothers day and for her birthday this year so its my brother and his wifes turn to take her out with SIL's Mum and all her sisters etc.

She will also be recieving this on the day from Next delivery. It comes with chocolates too. She still has flowers from her birthday so I thought this would last a bit longer and can go out into the garden.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics