Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Storky
Beginner May 2011

Speccy four eyes

Storky, 8 of February of 2013 at 15:39 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 45

This will be me from Wednesday, for driving, telly and the like.

Do you wear glasses? Contacts? I was hoping to get away with a monocle but I'm not sure I could carry it off without a moustache and a cravat.

45 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 10 of February of 2013 at 17:47
  • Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

As much as I think you could pull most things off, a monocle probably isn't one of those!

I used to REALLY want glasses, tried to say I couldnt see etc when I was younger, but I've never needed them. Drat.

Will you go for a swish designer pair?! x

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

I wear glasses for the same reasons as you and have been for the past 6 years. It's not that bad. I haven't really considered contacts because I don't have to wear them all the time so would be a pain to have to them out when I don't need them!

You definitely need a moustache & probably a pipe too if you want a monocle ?

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Go for a monocle, but presumably you'll need two for driving, so suggest you fashion yourself some sort of neck garment to keep them safe.

I had glasses when I was 8 and contacts when I was 12. I am super blind though, so I rarely wear my glasses as it means I can't find my way around the shower without them!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Defo get a monocle, but not sure it'd be the best for driving!

I'm a speccy four eyes but 99% of the time I wear contacts because I hate wearing my glasses. I've needed them since I was 7 and my prescription is really strong, to the point that I paid the most you could pay to have lenses thinned and they still look like bottle bottoms!

I looked into (pardon the pun!) laser eye surgery but my corneas are too thin apparently.

My prescription is -9.5 so really bad!

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

I only wear them for driving (and TV when i remember!)

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

me too!! my besties worked in an opticians for years and every time I had my eye test I asked her to lie for me and make me wear glasses!! she did however get me a pair of frames with fake glass in them..i used to wear then when I worked at the bank when I delivered training ?

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

I wear glasses - generally for long distance, EG Im sitting at my computer not wearing them but if I got up to walk about I would need to put them on.

I wear contacts for gym, wkends etc. My eyes are dry so I limit the use of them. I wish I could wear them all day. I hate wearing glasses.

I would love laser eye surgery. OH currently has claim £ coming & says he will use it to pay our holiday. Im kinda hoping it arrives after hol is paid & he just reaches me the £ as I would then put it towards the surgery and shorten the payment plan!

Glasses, combined with hormonal weight gain & hormonal acne make me feel like a total minger! I keep thinking If I could sort one of the three out I wouldnt feel so bad!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Monocles are cool, but yes, perhaps not ideal for driving.

Rod - I've tried to find my pair on the Specsavers' website but I can't seem to locate them. Maybe I need glasses?!

Pompey - -9.5?! Bloody hell!

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I'm supposed to wear glasses but most of the time I don't, as they look stupid on me. I just strain my eyes most of the time which is stupid. I wear glasses at home for tv and if driving at night, etc. If I know they're going to be useful for most of the day (e.g. today at work I'm working a long day and with lots of computer work) then I'll wear contacts. I've only recently started with contacts and I don't find them all that great to be honest.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I reckon you'll suit glasses.

Leave the monocle, moustache and cravat to Dave, eh?

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I am as blind as a bat without my glasses but tend to live in my contacts (even though they are uncomfortable as I have an astigmatism). Nothing worse than a Netball in the face with glasses on!!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Woah Holey, you're the only person I've met who has a higher prescription than me! I'm -7.5 and I thought that was bad!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I've ever had my eyes tested. Well, not since primary school when they do everyone.

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

I have glasses and contacts, hate wearing my glasses and do as little as possible, love my contacts!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Ive worn spec for years for the same kinds thing.

I have a couple of paira that are cat eyes style which Ilove, I occasionally wear contacts too!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Yep, for driving, TV and the such like!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

? Geek Chic!

(I don't need any!)

• fairyfay
    Beginner September 2012
    fairyfay ·
    • Hide content

Ive needed glasses for 25 years or more now. Shorted sighted in one - Long in the other. and an astigmatism. For the past year I wear contacts that you leave in all the time and just change once a month. I would never go back to glasses all the time now.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Awww, thanks Flora! That's really lovely of you to say but there is nooooo way I'm sticking my fingers in my eyes to use contacts. Bleurgh. That sets all my squeamish alarms off!

• samjh87
    Beginner October 2012
    samjh87 ·
    • Hide content

Fellow speccy here too.

Usually wear contacts but due to low funds at the minute have been wearing glasses. Hate them and find them really annoying

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

These are my bad boys:

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Ohh they are lovely, you will look fab.

I am a speccy and contacts person- need either or all the time- I like having the choice.

These are my new ones that I got just before Christmas:

They are a bit darker in real life tho!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

They're really pretty, Kjay.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Ta very much!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

I'm a speccy four eye too. I hate wearing glasses, I don't think they suit me, but had to cut out contact lenses due to cost. I have a small pile of them stockpiled though and wear them on special occasions.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I've had to wear glasses since I was 6. I've never bothered with contacts.

I don't wear them when I go out drinking, incase I drop/break/lose them. I can't see that well without them, but figured i've gone out to get pi$$ed, so will end up with blurred vision at the end of the night anyway.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahahaha Flow you're such a gorm!!

I wear contacts, don't even own glasses because I would never ever wear them. They make my moon face look even moonier.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I am speccy. Just for driving/TV/etc. My current ones are purple and my spare ones pink/black.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I am speccy 24/7. Apart from when I go out and have contacts.

My left eye is broken so I have no prescription on that one, and then am -5.75 in my right eye,

Storky one, my glasses are an older version of yours, excellent taste!

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I think you will suit glasses storky . I wear contacts that you sleep in etc and wear for a month without changing . Suits me as I look horrid in glasses .

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I wear glasses nearly all the time. My prescription is not that bad (~-3) so I can do close work like reading without them, but I need them for watching TV, driving, work etc, so I usually just leave them on all day anyway. I have two pairs, both rectangular frames, one is navy and metallic, the others are plastic purple half-frames. I need to get some new ones though! I am a bit cross with Boots Opticians tbh - I need to get new lenses so I asked if they could just put new lenses in my current frames, which are still in good condition, but they said it wasn't worth it and I should just get new frames anyway.

I have daily disposable contact lenses but I don't wear them to work as my eyes dry out with the air con/ventilation system. I only really wear them for special occasions now. I wouldn't consider laser eye surgery for the foreseeable future, but I know some people are much keener than me.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I've had glasses since I was 12. I love wearing them and have often been told when wearing contacts I look weird (in a nice way apparently!!) my eyes are slightly different shapes, one is more oval and one is more round. You don't notice with glasses on but I think it's really obvious with contacts. I also think my eyes look small when I've no glasses. This could be because I wear chunky plastic frames (like kjays but purple and a little bigger) I have a metal crisscross pair that are black and red and a black pair for work. I always but the two for £125 designer ones from specsavers as I find you get two good, long lastin pairs of glasses for your money and the lenses are good and last well.

I had a monthly order for contacts and stock piled a few for holidays and stuff as I don't like prescription sunglasses as I find it a fuss having to switch them inside places so just have a cheap pair of sunglasses and a few pairs of dailies. It's not bad putting them in though and I'm a bit squeamish about eyes.

I am -3 and -3.25 but I out my glasses on first thing and take them off in bed. I even wear them in the shower until it gets too steamy. I hate not beig able to see it makes me feel all panicky.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics