Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vikster79
Beginner July 2011

Who lives by the sea and who wishes they did?

Vikster79, 4 of February of 2013 at 11:13 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 42

Im having an awfully daydreamy day. I have always lived in a big city, but for the first time on Saturday we went shopping and i found there was too many people and crowds. This may be because i was concious of anyone knocking into K and bump, but i really thought i wonder what it would be like if we moved somewhere else, less busy. Obviously not for a while, but its nice to think about it. Has anyone taken the plunge and moved to a different part of the country or to the seaside? How did you find it?

42 replies

Latest activity by Gillsy, 4 of February of 2013 at 21:45
  • OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

Couldn't hack the actual seaside full time, too much flipping sand! My grandparents live in St Anne's (right by Blackpool). It's lovely but a pain on a windy day.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'd move back the country in a second! I've been 12 years in the city and the excitement of the 'buzz' and being able to buy chocolate 24 hours a day is wearing off, it may be an age thing!

Not the seaside though - I don't like the smell!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I live in the country and the sea is 10-15mins away. Im an hr by train from london and 40mins by car from cities inc Norwich and Cambridge!!! I love it!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I like cities. But H and I have a secret fantasy of moving to Brighton. We thought quite seriously about it after getting married but the prices for a 2-bed were about the same as they are in London, and there are more jobs in London plus our families are here. Maybe one day we will own a gorgeous period property down there though.

I like being near the river though. We aren't really, where we live at the moment, but my parents house is a short walk away and the one we lived in before that too. At uni I lived near the river too.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Portsmouth is perfect for me as I'm a 10minute walk from the beach and 10minutes from the city centre. Perfect. Love the sea air and the fact we barely have any snow!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I do. This is where I live:

Not the view from my house by the way! My house is approximately a 3 minute walk to the beach. It's a pebbly beach, rather than sandy, but there is a sandy beach around 5 miles away. I can't remember the last time I actually sunbathed on the beach, nor went in the sea, but it's nice to take a walk along the prom during my lunch breaks in the summer or sit and have a coffee.

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Saisi, we would love to move to Brighton but just cannot afford to (im hoping for a lottery win to change this) although Brighton would be full of people at peak times though.

Somewhere like Budleigh Salterton would be great, but then i reckon it would be too quiet ? See my problem is i am so indecisive and fussy ?

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

I loved St Heliers/Mission Bay but the prices wouldnt love me back.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Im 40 mins away from a seaside resort & I love going. Some great bars & restaurants as well as 2 beaches.

Am about 20 mins away from a rocky beach - ideal for walks etc but not sunbathing.

Were very lucky in NI - weve loads of really beautiful places & scenary.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Not that fussed about the seaside tbh. I'd far rather live in the countryside. Not right in the middle of nowhere, a village/little town would be fine, but I can't wait to get out of the city.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I grew up living by the seaside (South Shields) and I can't say I ever thought about it, to be honest! It was odd moving to Leeds and not hearing seagulls all the time. It also rarely gets anywhere near as windy as it does near the seaside.

The beach was about a 3 minute walk away (I lived on Beach Road). I suppose I do miss it when I think about it but I have no strong pulls to move back.

ETA: Not my photo

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I'd love to live by the sea or a lake although the thought of being more than 30 minutes drive from the city fills me with dread. There's something so calming about being beside the water. I spend a lot of time in St Andrews and just love going for long walks along the beach.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I live on the shoreline. The sea is 80 meters from my front door (had to measure it for the Insurance)

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Ha, stupid h eating my post! What I was going to say was portsmouth is ideal because its a big city, but has a beach too.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I love the sea- find just staring at it very calming and relaxing! I don't live near the sea, but OH is from Cornwall. I know he would like to go back one day. I love it there as it's so beautiful, but it's quite isolated. I think I'd like to move down there one day, but maybe not until I'm retired.

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content

I live about 15 minutes from the seaside. I'm not a great fan of towns, I live in a small town and wish I could move to a little village like where I grew up.

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

I live in Liverpool within walking distance from the mouth of the Mersey estuary. I love the coastline and like some of the others on here I need to be near the sea. Liverpool is a hole though, I'd rather live in Cornwall any day and I would if I could afford it.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I used to live just 10 mins away from Satlburn by the Sea, but then I moved to the Midlands so I couldn't be further away. I totally miss it but when I visit home I'm there every chance I get.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

We're moving to the seaside in a couple of years. We don't know which bit just yet because it all depends on where H can find work, but we are agreed that we need the sea in our lives. I've been desperate to live by the sea for as long as I can remember. If I could pick anywhere, I go for the Welsh coast, north or west.

My SIL & her husband live a 5 minute walk from the beach in Bournemouth. I'm so, so jealous.

• Sshh
    Beginner January 2018
    Sshh ·
    • Hide content

No. I live in a smallish town in the Kentish countryside though. I much prefer it to the city, but I'd like to give seaside living a go one day and I'd move to St Ives in a heartbeat. I adore the place and my best friend is there, living the dream...

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I would love to live by the sea. Me and my H would love to retire to the IoW. We are currently almost as far from the sea as you can get and I hate it. I think we would have a better lifestyle if we lived nearer the sea but the problem for us would be finding work as we both work in the same industry and it doesn't seem to have much happening near the coasts

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

I am very lucky. I am a city girl who loves the sea. I live a 15 minute walk from the centre of the city, a 15 minute walk from beautiful stretches of green near the water and a 20 minute cycle to the beach. I cannot wait until the summer where I plan to go for early morning city-to-beach cycles ❤️

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I live in the countryside which has it's good and bad points as we are about 30 minutes drive from any decent shops and an hour and half from the beach which sucks but I would much rather that than live in the hustle and bustle of a city.

I would like to live closer to the sea but not enough to make me want to move an hour away from family and friends. It's nice to visit for the day and think it would lose it's appeal if it was too close.

• Ixia
    Beginner
    Ixia ·
    • Hide content

I live in a small town about 5 minutes drive from the beach. And being in Cornwall you are never far away from the coast. I love it.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I've lived in Brighton all my life. I used to love living here but it's becoming more and more middle class and I sometimes feel like a stranger and as though I don't belong. I never really go to the seafront, suppose when it's always been there you don't really appreciate it.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

We don't, but we used to take the dogs to Southport beach which is a good few miles away. I would perfer to live in the Country rather than the seaside.

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I grew up really near the sea and although if i was to take a bus ten minutes up the road i could be at a beach there is something really special about seeing the sea out your window that i miss.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

I live a stones throw away from the beach and love it. I also live in a big city so have the best of both worlds. This is my daily view (it's usually sunny here)-

And this is us playing on the beach in October!

You and K are welcome to come and stay anytime Vikster ?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I used to live about half hour/twenty mins from the sea and used to go a lot, especially when my friends started driving

I do miss it.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Ipswich, right nr the a12/a14 cross!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Taken from my bedroom window;

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is basically what put us off going to Brighton. I would love to live in Brighton but it isn't practical for us unfortunately. When l was at University in Newcastle l lived a short Metro ride away from the seaside and loved it. We are meant to be moving to Chelmsford later on in the year. You never know we might end up at the seaside one day e.g. Southend way...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics