Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Ok as we are being controversial

4 of February of 2013 at 07:58 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 45

What are your opinions on the below ?

this sparked an interesting debate on my facebook?

45 replies

Latest activity by Sshh, 5 of February of 2013 at 09:04
  • Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I think that it is an informative leaflet for people who have (or are in the process of) moved to the UK from abroad and need to know what they are entitled to and how to get it.

I think it is disgusting that people are posting this on their wall as if it's some sort of advertising campaign, 'oh, come to the uk and we'll give you free money' - that's not what this is.

I actually removed you from my friends list on FB following your comments on this leaflet. I didn't want to cause a fuss, but seeing as you have now posted on here, I feel that I can't continue to bite my tongue.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry disagree, whether this was the purpose of the leaflet or not, it does basically equate to an advertising campaign.

Not that it is the immigrants fault, I blame the government for allowing it to happen. We are drowning in debt yet give out money to all, and some children that have never even set foot in the country are getting child benefit while there are not enough schools for all the children we have over here!

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

What is it?

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

I dont see the issue. It'd be tough moving your family to a different country, and an information booklet to help out with what your entitled too here is fine. If someone needed benefits, surely thats better than hiding what they're entitled too and them sufferring over it. If your actually more bothered by people getting benefits, then thats not a booklets issue.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Funky.

I believe those immigrating to this country should be bringing something to the economy (skills etc.) and are entitled to be employed here. Why advertise immigration with the sole intention of claiming benefits from our government? In cases of asylum ofcourse things change.

I have been in the situation where I claimed JSA - they didn't know what to do with me, I had been born in this country (I had been asked how long I'd been in the country), been working part time since I was 16 and paying tax from around 20 in my full time job. I didn't have any kids (they kept insisting I must be claiming child tax credit). I had a degree. They just didn't know what to do with me as I was in the minority.

My friend who works in a primary school has had to change all school policies - not having Halloween parties for example, to fit the beliefs of the children who are not from the uk and feel this is goes against their religion. Ofcourse they are entitled to this opinion, but the majority of British children DO celebrate it as it's in our culture. To me, if you are immigrating to a country and claiming benefits, whilst you are entitled to whatever religious beliefs you wish, you shouldn't dictate that the country you are living then changes their customs in order not to cause you offence.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

ATB I think you've raised 2 separate issues here, but I do agree with both.

Iv said before, as I would expect of myself if I moved abroad, you should have savings behind you and something to contribute to the economy. You shouldn't be entitled to benefits from the off. I think the leaflet is probably informative for immigrants and who would blame them for going for it? The government is IMO far too lenient.

• *button*
    Beginner August 2012
    *button* ·
    • Hide content

I also got really irked by someone I know posting this on Facebook. This person does not work, her husband recenty had an accident and doesnt work and they have four children. She is dependent on the benefits system but has a bee in her bonnet about others getting it. My problem with her is that her attitude is that she's entitled to help as she happened to be born here but it's outrageous for anyone else to claim it.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

With my job, I have a very cynical point of view when it comes to the benefits system. IMO it's far too easy for certain types to get it. There are not enough checks in place and people push their luck and bend the rules, especially people who have been born and raised in Britain. Honestly, I don't see that many foreign cases and when I do they're normally polish.

It's too easy to leave school, get pregnant and receive benefits. The benefits system is more geared towards people with children. You get a pittance if you are single and under 25 or a couple - so these people are better off working. There is no incentive however for people with children to go out and work as they will get more on benefits. Many of my claimants are low paid, low skilled workers maybe through choice, but still. Most of them will do everything to not lose their benefits.

Don't get me wrong, the system works for some people, especially when they are in need. I had a woman phone up the other day, her husband ran off to Spain with a woman half his age and left her with 700pm rent and 3 kids under 5. She wasnt working because he had a good salary and was a SAHM and she couldn't contact him at all - she was disgusted that she would have to 'sponge off the council' - her words.

I like days when I can help someone like that. The majority of her rent and council tax will be paid for her now by us and she will be able to use her Income Support/Tax Credits to bring up her children.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I don't think they can. This sounds like something from the Daily Mail.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I think issues are getting a bit blurred here. I don't think the anger is about people from other countries claiming benefits if and when they need them. I think the anger is at people moving here and taking something without ever having contributed.

I feel the same about people BORN here who take something without ever contributing. My feelings have nothing to do with someone nationality at all. Just so we are clear.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

From what I've heard, that leaflet is a fake intended to stir up the old Daily Fail anti-immigruntz hornets nest.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I didn't read it as propaganda for 'why people should move to Britain and sponge off our hard-working nation etc etc Daily Mailness'. I read the wording more as 'you may have recently arrived in this country and here is what you could be entitled to'.

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

I don't have an absolute opinion on this, but what I do think of when I see literature such as this are the huge institutions set up to support this particular system.

Sometimes recipients of a system attract negative opinion whilst propagators of it escape without criticism.

Just think about how many people in the UK would not have jobs (careers sometimes) if it weren't for the welfare state.

As I said I don't really have an opinion on it - just wanted to make an observation.

NB: I work in the private sector.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Agree with Little Pix wholeheartedly

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I agree it's not worded right.

But maybe it's been worded that way for a reason....

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I'm pretty sure its not real regardless of my opinion.

I think the benefits system is great for those who need it, to live on because of disability or to get them through a rough time if they lose their job etc.

However, those who abuse the system, claim fraudulently or 'work' the system to their advantage are sh1tty. Regardless of where they were born.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this. I don't believe it's a real booklet either. Type the full title into google and no goverment agency website or similar come up

• Sshh
    Beginner January 2018
    Sshh ·
    • Hide content

I just found this after a quick Google search. Appears to be the whole booklet - but it could equally just be one big wind up!

https://www.scribd.com/doc/23614068/Benefits-for-Immigrants-Booklet

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I saw that but I found it odd direct.gov or anything like that wasn't the first hit

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

Am I missing something? It's a booklet, not a massive advertising campaign with TV ads and billboards

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

It's a conspiracy I tell you, a conspiracy, a conspiracy!!!!!

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

Hitched eeemed to get a bit confused then as I recently changed my username.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

When I came back to the Uk 10 years ago I was entitled to exactly nothing as I had paid nothing. I expect this is the same for anyone arriving here.

The leaflet does say you wont be entitled to anything unless there are weird and wonderful situations...

If you have never lived in the UK before, you will not normallyhave paid NI contributions. This will usually mean that you can’tget benefits, which are based on NI contributions. However, ifyou or your spouse or civil partner have paid the equivalent of NIcontributions in another country, or in some cases have lived inanother country, this can sometimes help you to qualify forbenefits in Great Britain.If you have never lived in the UK before, you will not normallyhave paid NI contributions. This will usually mean that you can’tget benefits, which are based on NI contributions. However, ifyou or your spouse or civil partner have paid the equivalent of NIcontributions in another country, or in some cases have lived inanother country, this can sometimes help you to qualify forbenefits in Great Britain.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Weird, does anyone else have this stamped over the screen? (I zoomed out to fit the whole message but you can see this thread in the background):

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

WTF?!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Great minds, Storky.

Big Brother has spoken ?

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

It's on my screen too.

IMO I'd rather people who were in danger in their home country came over here and claimed benefits until they were able to support themselves than live in fear for their lives and their children's lives. Benefits don't apply to illegal immigrants so that's not the issue. I couldn't care less about the defecit (I am completely againt the cuts that are strangling the growth of small business in this country). These are human beings who need help.

• Sshh
    Beginner January 2018
    Sshh ·
    • Hide content

Ha! I think I might've done that on the previous page ooopsy.

When I found the link to that leaflet I C&P it into my reply and some HUGE text came up in my message box as well as the hyperlink. I thought I'd deleted it all...no idea how I managed to get it across the page of the thread like that though!

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

That was me ?

I copied that exact bit of text, pasted into my message but nothing happened and it wouldnt paste so I just pressed post. No idea how it did that. Sorry

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree!!

If you don't put in you shouldn't be able to get out.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Its total ballhooks. To get into the country you are either seeking asylum which is a totally different benefits system, on a student or a working visa. The only way they would be claiming benefits is if they found themselves unemployed once they had been granted some sort of status and had contributed to NI. You can't just come in and claim benefits. Daily Mail nonsense once again.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics