Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Beez
Beginner May 2016

The Fast Diet

Beez, 30 of January of 2013 at 10:40 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 17

There was a thread about this recently. Are any OTers following it? I've bought the book and I like what I read so far. I'm hoping all the health benefits are substantiated.

It looks too easy! I have some coping strategies for hunger from when I did Lighter Life/Cambridge. Any other stumbling blocks I should be aware of?

TIA

17 replies

Latest activity by Beez, 31 of January of 2013 at 14:08
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I've heard a workmate mention he's on some sort of thing where you fast for one day out of so many (he eats 500 cals that day or something). It's supposed to be about health benefits instead of actual weightloss?

Well done on your weightloss so far, how did you do that?

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

Bonnie it's very hard. Have you looked on the 'mini mins' website? They used to have lots of creative ideas of what to do with the shakes. You must drink plenty of water. Warm water I found better. Reading, tidying out cupboards and exercising all helped pass the time.

Hope you have better success than I did. Losing weight was ok - the maintenance was the hardest. Isn't it always.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Is this the one where you fast for 2 days a week (not together) only its not a total fast it's 500 cals or less?

I have heard some really great things about it but not tried it as I am happy with how I eat at the moment. (minimal carbs) works for me. Would be interested in a real life story of it though

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

Well I haven't read the whole thing but basically you eat normally (I presume you can't binge eat!) on 5 days. On 2 days women are allowed 500 cals, men 600.

On the fast days it seems you have breakfast and evening meal, no lunch. The food you eat on those days is low carb/GI. Fast days typical menus could be: porridge made with water with blueberries and chicken stir fry and tangerine. Or boiled egg and grapefruit and veggie chilli.

Quoting from the book

'weight loss is only one benefit of the fast diet. The real dividend is the potential long term health gains , cutting your risk of a range of diseases, including diabetes, heart disease and cancer'

(ref The Fast Diet, Dr Michael Mosley & Mimi Spencer)

Mimi Spencer is a fashion journalist and in the book she writes how she fit the diet into her life, family, work, husband etc.

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

ATB - I stopped dieting! I've dieted all my teenage and adult life. I know what I need to do but it's doing it. With moving and divorce there may be a bit of emotional eating and drinking happening. Thinking this is a 'loose' kind of plan to give me a little bit of structure. And also something long term to follow as maintenance can be one fast day a week.

• liver girl
    Beginner July 2011
    liver girl ·
    • Hide content

Beez did you watch the programme that was on last year? It was like a documentary with the author of the book. It was so interesting! I've bought the book but just can't seem to motivate myself just yet, I will though because it seems so worthwhile considering the other health benefits plus the weight loss. Hope it goes well for you

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

Liver girl - no didn't see it! Wonder if its on catch up- can you remember the channel? I'll be sure to share so watch this space!

• liver girl
    Beginner July 2011
    liver girl ·
    • Hide content

http://vimeo.com/50912488

Hope the link works, failing that it was a BBC programme, Horizon - Eat, Fast and live longer.

It really is worth a watch

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can I ask what your "hunger coping strategies" are please? Ha I'm struggling atm as only allowed 1200 calories on MFP!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing this at the moment too!

I'm in my third week. Lost 3lbs the first week and 1 lb last week.

I'm not struggling with hunger on my fast days really. I'm having plenty of water and green tea or Earl Grey. On my fast days I tend to skip breakfast and have a homemade veg soup for either lunch or dinner and something more substantial for the other meal like a homemade veg chilli with a small bit of rice or yesterday I had 2 plain scrambled eggs with a bit of quorn ham and loads of mushrooms and fruit as a snack. My next fast day is tomorrow so I'll be making a pan of lentil and carrot soup for lunch and veg sir fry for dinner.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Some of the doctors at work are doing this and they've lost weight

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's good to hear, actually. I've read some negative things about it but the main thing that swayed me to try it was the fact that it is endorsed by Michael Mosely. I'd have put it down as a fad unless I'd seen wnat he wrote about it so I'm glad to see other doctors are doing it too. No doctors in their right minds would recommend Atkins etc would they?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Exactly, that's what I think too. I think two doctors started it and now I'd say 50% of our GPs (male and female) are doing it. Not on days when the reps bring in food though ?

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL of course not!! ?

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

Buffyboo - I may be calling on your expertise!

Claire - I wrote a few things above your post, nothing that inspiring I'm afraid, 1200 seems low - I guess it's most important to choose the right foods - with me I'm often mentally hungry, not physically if that makes sense.

Thanks nursey too, v interesting.

Now just got to choose and plan my fast says next week. Not doing them over the weekend ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics