Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Ducky*
Beginner July 2012

Magazines

*Ducky*, 30 of January of 2013 at 09:57 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

I rarely read them anymore. I remember the Mizz (Miss?) and Shout! magazines, then moved on to Sugar. I felt remarkably grown up reading More magazine. Looking back, even that seems full of useless drivel.

What magazines did you read in the past, and do you also look back and wonder why on Earth you found them interesting?!

10 replies

Latest activity by Agouti, 30 of January of 2013 at 10:17
  • JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

I used to lov Mizz too! Then I went on to Just 17 and then More in my late teens/early 20s. I haven't read a mag in years as all women's ones seem to be utter garbage unless you're interested in fashion or getting a boyfriend or learning to orgasm or diet *yawn*

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I never read them when I was really young. I used to read more in my early twenties and then I loved company for ages. Really loved it. Recently they have changed it, it's all about blogging and travel and self improvement. Load of crap now. They all are.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I used to love J17! Was really sad when they stopped publishing it! Does anyone remember the Diary of a Crush series?

Also read Sugar, and I remember Mizz and Shout. I did some work experience at Bliss magazine too.

Then I moved on to Glamour, and had that for ages as I was too lazy to cancel the Direct Debit so they kept sending it to me.

Now I only read Good Housekeeping, which my MIL gets on subscription and passes on to me when she's done ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Mizz, Sugar, Just Seventeen, More, Cosmopolitan.

Then Marie Claire when I was a bit older.

I wouldn't read anything like it now.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Smash Hits because I liked the stickers you got free with it and desperately wanted to fit in with the kids at school who always seemed to know what was going on in the world of pop music. They weren't as excited by the new Iron Maiden album as I was ?

As a teenager I ditched Smash Hits in favour of Kerrang and Metal Hammer magazine. Occasionally bought girly things like More, again in a last ditch attempt to fit in at school.

As an adult I've bought a few pregnancy magazines and the obligatory wedding ones, but other than the Slimming World magazine, I don't buy any now. Even the SW is a bit pants apart from the recipes.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I remember Mizz and Just 17 & Sugar, was Bliss a magazing too or have I totally made that up.

I remember when I first got my Dad to buy me J17 or Mizz and my mum went mad! the content was far to grown up for me apparently!! :-)

we get a magazine sent to us as part of out CAMRA membership which is all about Ale!! ?

The only other time I buy magazines is if I have a flight or train journey and I tend to get the OK bumper pack with all the trashy gossip magazines!

I love going to the hairdressers as they always have gossip mags too!

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These.

I occasionally read OK! when there is a big celeb wedding on haha!

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

Ahh, the joys of Mizz, Shout and Sugar! I remember those days well! I too then moved onto More and thought I was so cool, and hip. Wasn't More the mag with loads of sex tips in it? I remember reading it all thinking I would be totally awesome at sex all the time because I knew it all thanks to More! ? All those "position of the fortnight" hahaha.

I also read Inside Soap EVERY week. I had to be up with what was going to happen as I watched Neighbours, Hollyoaks, Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Eastenders, Brookside......now I don't watch any. How times change. Don't read any magazines anymore either. On occassions I have been known to read my mother's Take A Break, but the stories end up making me cross a lot of the time!
    I also went through a phase of the wedding mags, but then gave up as thought my own ideas were better!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I used to read Smash Hits, and cut out the pictures of who we fancied at the time. My friends got the magazine too and we'd swap pictures, so you'd end up with three pictures exactly the same as each other, from your friends' magazines. I'd then give them the pictures of 'their' people from mine. Hmmm.

We then moved onto Just 17 - before we were 17 so found it very risky!!! From then it was More, which was all about sex. We were HORRIFIED to see my friend's brother and his girlfriend featured as testers for position of the month!

Now I get InStyle on subscription as it was £20 for a year with a free bottle of facemask which I was going to purchase anyway for £30 - wouldn't have subscribed if it wasn't for that offer. The magazine is just 90% adverts for things I can't afford, very little decent reading content!

Occasionally I'll pick up Company or Cosmo if it's on special offer for £2 or has a good freebie, but am always dissapointed with the content. I have been known to buy a Woman and Home or Country Living etc. ?

The price of magazines is crazy though!

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content

I used to get Just 17 until my dad read it and decided it was inappropriate ?. Luckily for him I got into football around the same time so my money was spent of football magazines. TV Hits and Smash Hits were favourites as well to satisfy my obsession with boy bands!

My friend used to get Mizz and we always thought it was so risqué because it has stuff about sex and boys!

I don't really buy magazines anymore, mostly because all I'm interested in is celebrity gossip and you can get plenty of that on the Daily Mail website for free.......

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics