Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner

Venue advice

Jj84, 15 of January of 2013 at 17:48 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi

Im new to this forum and would love some advice please as we are both pulling our hair out.

We have viewed 4 venues so far and can't find any more we like the look of. There are 2 that we like, but don't love them. My partner is convinced that you have to fall in love with the venue when you see it but we haven't done. How many of you instantly knew it was the one?

i really like a venue which is almost like a castle and is very old. I loved it, but the OH instantly noticed paint chips missing and part of a picture rail missing. I'm trying to convince her that when its done up it will look amazing but she isn't sure. Do you think when it's set up and has decorations and flowers that you can see past the minor repair work required??

We are pulling our hair out.

would love to hear people's opinions and experiences

many thanks

10 replies

Latest activity by Confused bride...., 25 of January of 2013 at 16:13
  • greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to the forum.

if you let us know a rough area some may be able to point you in the right direction.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome.

We viewed around 12 venues in total over a 10 month period.

I'm firmly of the opinion that you will fall in love with your venue when you see it if you have realistic expectations (i.e don't expect a palace if your on a shoe string budget)

In answer to your concerns I wouldn't be able to see past repair works like flaking paint etc as not only does it look bad but to me also signifies bad management and lack of care for the property. Yes old buildings can have some rustic charm but there is a fine line between rustic and shabby.

ETA Look out for wedding fairs held at venues as they are usually a good opportunity to see venues set up ready for a wedding so will give you a better idea of what the venue could look like when dressed which may help convince your partner.

• J
    Beginner
    Jj84 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies. We are looking mainly in Surrey. The venue that needs a bit of work is Horsley Towers. I can personally see past the work and can see a stunning venue.

it looks like the search continues then. We ideally want a hotel due to the amount of guests travelling from all around the UK. Any suggestions/recommendations would be fantastic.

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

That venue looks lovely, i dont think id have even noticed a bit of chipped paint.

It has some outstanding reviews!

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-venues/horsley-park_3273.htm

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I'm with Funky - you have to love it, although small compromises are ok (eg I didn't love the ceremony room at my wedding, but was only there half an hour before moving on to a more special room) I looked around 15+ (can't even remember how many, but my poor parents do!) venues in Surrey/London until we fell in love with one. Although Horsley Towers wasn't my list.

Hotels I didn't really like, as they are all so generic and samey, apart from Great Fosters in Egham which is fanstastic, but reflected in the price (unless you are prepared to get married on a different day, outside of wedding season).

Other venues I quite liked were Nonsuch Mansion, in cheam, and Hampton Court House. Wooton House in Dorking is quite nice as well.

Also, if you are having a church ceremony (we did not), it opens up more venues as many venues offer reception, but not a ceremony.

What are your other venues? What area are you from?

• C
    Beginner June 2015
    Confused bride.... ·
    • Hide content

Hello :-)

I could have written this post myself a few weeks ago.

We viewed 8 venues in total and I was stressing so much that I couldn't find the one!

Last weekend we looked at two. The first one on Saturday, we liked, it was nice, the prices were top end of our budget but it was nice.

Then we went to one on Sunday and we just fell in love with it. You will know when you find the one. We have compromised on things we didnt think we were willing to, just so we can marry there!!

With regards the chipped paint etc, this is something that put me off most of the other venues we viewed. My partner didnt seem

to think that this was a problem either so maybe that's a man thing? But, I don't really think it can be overlooked.

carry on looking, you will get there!!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Oooh I really liked Pembroke lodge in Richmond Park as well, and Botleys Mansion in Chertsey (although that was I think the only venue I didn't get around to looking at, which was on my list), if you don't mind the fact it used to be a aslyum for the mentally challenged.

• J
    Beginner
    Jj84 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm guessing it is a man thing to see past minor DIY.

guess the venue search will continue, although I love Horsley. We looked at Wotton, the ceremony room is stunning but the wedding breakfast room is characterless

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

I have to say we both fell in love with our venue right away. We would have preferred more accommodation but that was not going to put us off. We investigated local options and arranged a coach for everyone at the end of the reception to make it easier. If you don't have much luck with hotels would you consider looking at other types of venues?

On the chipped paint point, in an old, privately owned property I think iit's unrealistic to expect the decor to be immaculate (and to be honest, if you like old venues you probably wouldn't like somewhere that was obviously recently renovated!) but in a hotel I would expect a higher standard. For me it would depend on whether it is stuff you would notice in the photos.

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there!

We looked for venues for almost the whole of last year. From June until December!

I had looked on all the venues that had license for weddings in Surrey, London, Hampshire and Oxford. (and Bath rooms and a golf course there!)

We did a shortlist based on numbers and the look we liked, which was about 60 venues. Yeah I know, absurd!

We have finally shortlisted down to 2, based on budget, how much we loved when we saw it and numbers.

We have our provisional dates booked on both, but we can't bring ourselves to choose one of them yet!

So yes, we fell in love with about 5, droped 3 of those, and the last 2 we loved, we can't pick yet (one is considerably more expensive than the other)

Hope this experience helped Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner June 2015
    Confused bride.... ·
    • Hide content

Have you viewed any more venues? Any luck? X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics