Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F&GBride
Beginner May 2014

Photographer costs

F&GBride, 14 of January of 2013 at 20:12 Posted on Planning 0 24

Hi all,

I'm new on this site, got engaged in November and booked our venue a few weeks ago. Very exciting! Just wondering how much we should expect to pay for a photographer at our wedding - have been surprised by the price of the first quote we got, but don't really have a bench mark to compare it to. How much are you paying or did you pay for your big day?

Thanks

24 replies

Latest activity by Rhys Parker, 15 of January of 2013 at 22:43
  • .adicat
    .adicat ·
    • Hide content

South East area - £595

• All day coverage
    • 2 photographers
    • Hi-res image disc
    • Online Gallery

But were quoted double that and triple that by other companies when we were looking so it pays to shop around.

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to hitched! Where abouts in the country are you based, as this can have a massive impact on the amount you might pay.

We are based in the north west, our package prices start at £650 or you can create your own wedding package from £400.

Our website is www.rswphotography.co.uk which might give you an idea of what you could pay xx

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. Sorry forgot to add that the wedding will be in Perthshire in Scotland.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £1650, that includes an engagement shoot, all day coverage (two togs) and all images on disc.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome!

This is a 'how long is a piece of string' type questions

Prices can vary obviously depending what's included in the package shooting time etc there are photographers out there to suit most budgets I think the important thing is you love their work.

I guess average price is between £1000-£1500 for a decent TOG (bridal prep-first dance) upwards to £2000/3000 for the top end.

You can also find TOGS around the £500 mark generally less experienced students or people just starting out (doesn't necessary mean their pics are of a lesser quality but obviously experience comes at a price)

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Yep, as Funky said it's a piece o' string! Top end, like award winning togs you're looking around £2000+, high end is probably £1000-£2000, midrange up to £1000 and budget/new might be sub £500. Packages vary greatly between togs, some offer albums and limited prints, some give just x number of prints and charge you for extra, some give images on disc and no prints.

I guess you should select a tog based on their style/look of the images and what outputs you want/what you plan to do with the images and then browse to see what price quotes you're getting for that.

Just remember if they're full time it may well seem costly, but they have a lot of overheads to cover before they even make a profit, so it's usually a necessity.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome.

It is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions unfortunately.

If budget isn't too much of a problem then you can have the luxury of searching by the style you want, ask them for prices and then choose from there.

How much were you quoted if you don't mind me asking?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I paid £1200 for all day photography (two photographers in the morning, one in the afternoon and evening), a pre wedding shoot and all images on disc.

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

We've been quoted £1350 (at a £200 discount that comes with our venue) for getting ready through to start of evening reception, and would get 3 albums (one for us and one for both sets of parents).

• M
    Beginner March 2013
    miniloopie ·
    • Hide content

We seem to be paying less than most - based in South Wales though so maybe it's cheaper?! Ours is £650 for the whole day from bridal prep to after first dance... We just found one that was our style who 'got' what we wanted so I'd say that's the main thing, unless you have a very strict budget?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

That sounds reasonable. Were they recommended by the venue as you mentioned that discount being linked to it? More importantly do you like the images?

• Dream Wedding Video
    Dream Wedding Video ·
    • Hide content

Our packages start at £500 We do disk only packages with the option of album or storybook. We also do an all day photo video package for £1250

Happy planning!

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

Yeah he was recommended by the venue, which is why he's the first person we've asked. It seems he does different styles depending on what couples ask for. There are some weddings on the website which aren't to my taste but others that are very nice so that's fine. I think I was just shocked that we could pay more for a tog than for the dress!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Don't necessarily go with the photographer recommended by the venue. I'm not saying don't but I would definitely look around more and get some more quotes.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

That's interesting that he does different styles for different couples, I'd be curious to see how he does it because most togs love a certain way of taking photos and have an artistic "idea" that they stick to kind of thing. Any chance you'd be willing to show the website?

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I'm £1400 for all day (Saturday)

2 togs comes in at £1750

No albums with either of those packages and I've 34 weddings for this year so far (Over 50 in 2012)

It depends a lot on locale, London / Surrey prices will be a bit higher than Scotland.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what Kharv said.

Have a look around. Alarm bells went off when you said he basically changes his style to what the couple want. I have one style. Mine. If couples don't like my style then they will pretty much know straight away.

Have some fun looking around. If you want to drop me an email I'd be more than happy to try and help.

Try not to look at it as paying more than your dress but more paying for the one thing you will have left after the wedding. x

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

With due respect, your wedding photography lasts a lifetime and isn't created from a dress pattern that also fits hundreds or thousands of other brides that is intended for one days use????????

And please don't think as this as a snotty response, it isn't intended as such...I am serious....the true value of wedding photography done well and properly is too often undervalued although often regretted if not well. Why is a pictorial memory for life which highlights your family and friends less important than the dress that is worn for one day?

Peter

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

"There are some weddings on the website which aren't to my taste" -- that's all you need to see to rule this one out, if at the end of the day you are not 100% with what you end up with then the warning signs were there in plain sight.
    "shocked that we could pay more for a tog than for the dress", that does depend on how much the dress was in the first place.But say you pay 1/4 of what the dress cost and then the pictures end up lacking all that fine detail and texture that went into the beauty and cost, so that the dress just ends up looking like a cheep bed sheet on the pictures. That's why a more expensive photographer may cost more, because they will spend extra time after the wedding on computer making sure that the detail is there.
  • Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

Whereabouts in Perthshire you getting married? Just being nosey as my inlaws live there! I'm getting married near Edinburgh and found tog prices quite expensive, but we wanted a really good one. I spent weeks researching I googled and looked through every photographer I could find til I found some I loved. I also used the Scottish wedding directory as they list photographers on there.

I didn't go with the one my venue recommended I went with the one I liked best and got on well with.

• pm.photography
    pm.photography ·
    • Hide content

I'm based in Glasgow and don't charge for travel cost to Perthshire. Also, at the moment I offer free engagement session with every booking. You can see my work on www.pm-photography.co.uk

• diliphirani
    diliphirani ·
    • Hide content

Mrs*M, you are the type of client I love working with. I bet it's the same with most photographers on here. We give our time, heart and soul into what we do. Before the day, on the day and many days after. It is very true that dedicated photographers spend a lot of time and effort on what they present, rather than just a CD / DVD with images in x, y and z formats.

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Our Tog packages start from £1595, including all day coverage and 300 USB images... and She is worth absolutely every penny of what she asks for her work.

I

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Considering your most likely to not actually remember most of the wedding (it goes so quickly), I would say decent photography is a more meaningful/lasting investment than even the dress.

One red flag that popped up to me was "It seems he does different styles depending on what couples ask for". Most photographers that I know, have a particular style and stick with it. The idea is normally to work in a way that produces a certain look or style, and be consistent so you attract brides & grooms that love how you work, rather than entering the realms of being a jack of all styles.

What is most important is that you find a tog who's work you LOVE, and £1300 should get you that without too much headache.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics