Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MissPanda
Beginner March 2012

Degrees

MissPanda, 20 of November of 2012 at 15:42 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 85

Tell me about your view on degrees. I'm currently doing a Business degree, in my final year. It's a 4 year course (I had a placement year), and I'm finding this last year really hard-going. Not really in terms of the work (although that's not great!), more for the fact that I don't think business was for me. That said, if I was going to pick the wrong thing, business was probably the best one to pick in terms of being useful. Also, the debt - I know the payment terms are pretty nice but it's still a depressing figure!

So, out of interest, do you have a degree(s)? If so, what is it/are they? Did you enjoy it? Was it worth it? If you don't have one, why did you decide not to? Did you feel you made the right choice?

85 replies

Latest activity by clarehj, 21 of November of 2012 at 23:08
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I have a BSc in Biochemistry and a PhD in Developmental Biology. In hindsight, I loved all of it but, of course, there were tough parts. However, I never doubted that I was doing what I wanted to do, not for one minute. I pre-dated tuition fees though so didn't accrue any debt apart from student loans for living expenses.

I think you're right, in the general workforce, a business degree isn't going to hurt your prospects in the slightest.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I have one, in marketing and Media, got it ten years ago and we did nothing on internet, social media or Emarketing so in todays day and age its pretty useless. I think id have got more experience going out to work straight away!! plus id be(student) debt free!

To be honest, i chose wrongly, i didnt know what 18 what i was goin to do and planned on doing the degree then a pgce and going into teaching. I wish id done that or gone in midwifery straight away and cant go back to it now(financially)

I had a great time, love uni experience and wouldnt be who i am today if id not have gone, would no way be confident in myself or anything!!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Pretty much exactly the same as Flow - word for word apart from I thought I wanted to be a big shot marketing director.

Then I realised I really didn't give a sh1t enough.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I don't have one, I didn't go to uni because their wasn't anything I wanted to do.

My O/H went back to uni at 25 as he had a totally career change- he is now in his final year and has enjoyed it and been frustrated by it in equal measures- I think he is now looking forward to finishing and hopefully putting the degree into practice...so long as he finds a full time job!

(he is doing Youth Work)

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I don't have a degree. I admire people that have worked hard for one, and who have thought to themselves "Right, I'm gonna get me a career" and they've gone out, worked hard and done it.

But, it was never on the cards for me. I always knew that my "role in life", I suppose, was to be a mother and one day I hope I will fulfil that.

Call it old fashioned or whatever but, in my list of priorities, being a good wife & mother is at the top, and having a career is at the bottom.

I know it is completely possible for a woman to be both, but not me ?

Oh, and do I regret it? Not at all. I love my life. My job is secure, and my husband is awesome. And I don't know many other 23 year olds who own their home.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I have a degree in German but I don't use it any more. I never have in my working life.

I'm sure if I moved back to Germany, I'd easily get back into it but I'm sad I don't use it a lot any more.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I have an LLB in Law & French and a PgDip Law (basically the fancy word for passing the LPC!).

There was never any doubt that I'd go to uni. I always wanted to do French, but I thought my options would then be limited to translation or teaching, neither of which I wanted to do. Law was basically a fall back option.

Looking back, I think I enjoyed my course. I enjoyed my uni time more though, and wouldn't change that for a second.

I wish I'd known back then that your choice of degree doesn't necessarily influence your final career choice. I know plenty of people who did my course who are now employed in completely different sectors than law, and plenty of lawyers who didn't do a law degree. I wish I'd stuck to either a straight French degree, or done something language related like linguistics.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Mines equally useless, I wouldn't change the experience I had in those three years but in all reality I can't say my degree has helped me get any of my jobs.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I have a BSc in Adult Nursing. I didn't need to do the degree pathway, but in hindsight it saves me studying more in the future (as senior nurses will need degrees at least soon, and possibly masters level too)

• Hollies
    Beginner December 2018
    Hollies ·
    • Hide content

I have a degree in English Literature. I absolutely loved it, literature was my passion right through school and it was the only degree I even considered.

Was it worth it? Well, I didn't do it for really for future financial/career success. I did it because I love the subject and have a passion for it. I went to a school that instilled a passion in me for learning and furthering my knowledge. The experiences I had at university are priceless to me, I don't regret my decision to go.

My total debt is a pretty scary figure, but it doesn't really impact me in any way in my day to day life. As an arts graduate I doubt i'll ever earn enough that the student loan repayments are very noticeable! In the future I'd like to go into teaching, but I want to gain a little more experience in other things before doing that.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I have an undergraduate BA degree in Philosophy and a Masters degree in Legal and Political Theory.

I really loved my undergrad degree, I was Student Rep (which I took really seriously, and was involved in higher-level things as well as just being a class rep) and although I didn't always work that hard I did well and enjoyed it, enjoyed the actual degree I mean and not just student life. The students' union gave me an award when I left, jointly for academics and contribution to student life ?

I would do it again, even though it was a 'useless' degree job-wise and even though it's landed me almost £30k in debt, just 'cause I loved it so much!

My second degree was taken purely because I couldn't find a job. It was okay and there were parts I enjoyed but I didn't love it. If I had my time again I probably wouldn't bother and I'd just try harder to get a job and start earning money.

ETA I became a wife at 22, we bought our house when I was 23/24 (had my birthday between exchange and completion) and will be a Mummy at 24 too. I was with H before we went to uni, so going didn't mean I had to put off becoming a wife and mother.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Personally, and this is from experience in working in a big corporate bank, having a degree no matter what the subject shows an employer you can stick at soemthing and not give up, thats why some companys will only take on graduates, ridiculous i know ! I know of some situations where someone had 10plus years of working in the environment yet someone comes in with a degree in phychology and gets the job based on that...in a bank.ridiculous

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I have one in Business. I don't regret it in regards to life experience and having that qualification on paper. But in regards to everyday working life, I don't require it. Unfortunately qualifications and experience loses out to nepetism.

I was discouraged from everything I wanted to do/be by school 'careers' advisers and I'm now slowly getting the confidence/finances to put this right and do what I want to be.

• MissPanda
    Beginner March 2012
    MissPanda ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, some really interesting replies! I always wished I had a subject that was 'me', but that was reflected in my A levels too as they were a complete mixed bag. I wasn't sure uni was for me but I went mainly because I went to a private school and that was the mindset.

The social side of uni I've pretty much missed out on, I brought OH along with me when I started and we've lived off campus the whole time.

To be honest, I've been hit pretty hard with the broody stick, and the career path that people expect me to follow (multinational grad scheme, work hard, travel everywhere, earn lots of cash), is looking pretty unappealing! It's nice to hear different people's views!!

Flow, actually the company I did the placement at has a HUGE gap between normal entry pay, and grad pay, it's insane - even people who have done years and years and have a lot of experience are on peanuts compared to the grads (a lot of them who seriously lack general common sense and life experience....)

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I didn't go to Uni. I don't think it has been a down fall of mine but then how would I know. I got a job at 19 which I loved and I built myself up from being an admin clerk to being head of the division which included alot of juicy pay rises, I travelled with my job and I also discovered there was more to life than Middlesbrough. The path I chose was definitely right for me. I don't feel I have missed out by not having a degree in fact I am doing much better in my job than H is in his and he's the one with the degree. Like Jo Jo and Ali, Uni just never felt right for me at the time.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Forgot to mention mines in performing arts. If you want some jazz hands done, or to discuss obscure art movements I am your girl. .

*bangs head against wall and regrets choice not to do science a levels all those years ago*

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now this I can relate to too, private schoolgirl and all. I decided not to follow the grad scheme / earn lots of cash route and I am VERY happy ?

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content

I did English Literature too. Whilst I really enjoyed my course, a career only really crossed my mind in third year. I worked / volunteered throughout my degree and managed to do some really great work experience in the summer after I graduated which helped me get my first job, then in time led to what I do now.

The content of my degree has little relevance to my life now (I read one of my essays a few months ago and it might as well have been gobbledegook), but writing skills, presentations skills, meeting deadlines, working with other etc have been really important to learn. You can learn these in the workplace but you don't always have the luxury of getting it wrong! For example, if I'd mucked up a presentation at uni I'd get another go the following week. If I mucked it up at work I probably wouldn't get another chance!

If I won the lottery I'd do a Masters, purely for the enjoyment of it, but having a Masters would have no impact on my career so there's no point spending all that money which would be better spent on house / wedding etc.

I definitely don't regret going to university, however if I could go back I may have chosen a different degree.

• MissPanda
    Beginner March 2012
    MissPanda ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is really nice to hear haha! Did you feel that people just 'expected' you to go down that route? So many people have said "just do it for a few years, then you'll be loaded and can do what you want", but I'm pretty sure it's not that simple, plus I don't want to have to just put up with it!

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

I don't have one and was never really interested in going to Uni. I just got a job as soon as I left school at 16 and have been working since.

I do look back sometimes and think it would have been nice to have a proper career as opposed to just a job but then another part of thinks well if I went to Uni I would of met my OH, wouldn't be getting married, wouldn't own my own house etc and I think i would much prefer that ?

Also some of my friends who have gone to Uni and are now just do what I do as they've done their degree & changed their mind about what they want to do!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, but I'm a stubborn so-and-so. Also heard the 'just do it for a few years' stuff, but honestly, I don't want to.

I started applying for grad schemes and found myself struggling to answer the 'why do you want to work here' questions and it just made me realise... I don't. My brother-in-law is a few years older and works for an investment bank, his girlfriend is in the civil service grad scheme. I look at their lives and just think, f&*% that. Up before dawn to slog all day and half the night (less so for her but still a lot of hours and she works very hard), meanwhile I work strictly 9-to-5, have a job with minimum stress and a little one on the way. I can see the advantages to what they're doing, I'm not stupid... they can afford to buy a half-million-pound family home in London and are financially much more secure etc, but... I'm just too lazy and like my life too much.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awww ? This is me too!

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

I did English and Politics at QUB in Belfast. I loved it - its an amazing place and I made friends for life. Uni for me was always about education - I had been out clubbing & drinking since 14 (and yes my parents knew - I know this sounds really bad but I only ever had a couple of drinks & always went home - my dad was always the taxi!). I wasnt a drunk or promiscuous - I had my first boyfriend at 18. So when I went to uni I had all that out of my system and I worked really hard, narrowly missing a first which still upsets me to this day.

If I had of got my first I had a place on a masters with funding so I definately wouldnt be where I am now. I often wonder what if but I cant change anything. Instead I went straight into a local company, always wanting a public sector job and now after 7.5 years Ive finally got it. I feel Im going to be starting from scratch again and 'behind' compared to my friends but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run & pave the future and career that I want.

As someone who has been looking for a new job,alongside my cousin who had also been looking, Im getting interviews and she isnt. She is experienced etc but not educated beyond GCSE and then due to number of applicants they up the criteria, she doesnt match it so she has not had 1 interview in a year. Whereas Ive had 2 (awaiting outcome of the last) and a date for a thrid. So I still feel a degree is worth it - in the long run.

ETA - Being able to go to uni and read / study for 3 years is a privilege and not something everyone is lucky enough to experience whereas it be lack of grades or money issues. I was very fortunate. If money wasnt an option I would love to go back and do a degree in social anthropology.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

You can never have it all! <--- Really good motto!

I have a Bsc(Hons) degree in Molecular Microbiology. I am 3/4 way through a PhD. I probably won't be persuing a career in academia but I know the degree and PhD will (hopefully) make me appear stubbornly hardworking (in a good way) to whatever employer I apply to.

I went to Uni and I do have debt. However, we are married and we own our house (I'm 24), and we are hopefully starting a family soon. This probably means the career will be at standstill for several years, but I am ok with that. Swings and roundabouts.

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

I have a degree in music. It was a lot of fun and didn't cost half as much as they do these days. However it hasn't really helped my career as I got into marketing by pure networking and being ballsy.

Did I enjoy it? Yes, very much so. But mainly the out-of-lecture time.

Was it worth it? For the friends I've made, yes. For the content, probably not.

I am thinking about doing a Masters in business as here in Denmark they LOVE it if you're qualified up to your eyeballs. It's free so am glad I have that as a real option.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I haven't got a degree.

I became pregnant during my A levels, so gave up on going to Uni, to focus on my son.

Don't regret that choice.

• MissPanda
    Beginner March 2012
    MissPanda ·
    • Hide content

I'm stubborn inside, but find it difficult to tell others that! Another thing that doesn't help is that I've accepted the offer to go back to my placement company (on the idea that I can always reject it again if I don't want to go back, which I don't now after considering it!), and they are really keen for me to go back.

EF, that must be even worse being forced not to do it due to illness ?

It's quite difficult I guess being in an environment where pretty much no one is in a long term relationship at uni and everyone else's top priority is going out/careers. We had a talk the other week about careers and the guy said "obviously, no one's going to be married when you're at uni", in a pretty dismissive tone... I was raging!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I have a BSc degree in Psychology, which isn't really very useful at all given my current career!

Having a degree has served me well in the sense that I was able to walk straight into a job after graduating (very lucky I know), which ultimately helped me pay my way and establish my business.

It was the long way around I suppose and to be honest I wish I could have taken a different route and left out the university part. I didn't enjoy it much, don't feel it was worth the money- but who knows what I would be doing now if I hadn't gone.

The only reason I went to university to begin with was because I didn't really have a clue what I wanted to do with my life, so thought that I may as well figure it out whilst gaining a qualification. At the time I was at College studying photography, but didn't believe it was a worthwhile degree. I also got lots of comments like "photography isn't a proper job" "you need something to fall back on" etc. So I went to University & chose Psychology instead as i'd enjoyed it at A-level.

Whilst at University I got involved in lots of teachery things, took part in the student associates scheme and the big plan was to become a Maths teacher. Did some training and after graduating I went to work in a secondary school. Although i'd kept up the photography since college and with time came the business which grew and grew. Thankfully we're where we are now, all thoughts of teaching are behind me and my degree is redundant.

If I could go back in time and still end up where I am now, there's not a chance i'd go to university. In retrospect I think i'd have got more out of working- but as a 17 year old with no knowledge of where you want to go and what you want to do University is a pretty good security blanket. Lot of friends have said the same.

• spaceman spiff
    Beginner May 2013
    spaceman spiff ·
    • Hide content

I have a undergraduate masters degree in pharmacy, a postgraduate diploma in clinical pharmacy and a postgraduate diploma in psychiatric pharmacy and whilst in total I've completed 9 years of university level study, it was all worth it as it has enabled me to get a job I really enjoy. However, the truth of the matter is that I got lucky. I picked a career path after 2 days of limited work experience, and it just so happens that I have found my niche in it. For me, university was definitely worth it, but I don't believe this to be the case for everyone. I'd love to do the final year of my latest diploma to top it up to masters, but I just can't justify the expense as it won't add much to my career potential. Unfortunately.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I have a BA(Hons) in Interior Design and a PCGE in Art .

Sooo useful for my career in fundraising!

I hated being a student and was thoroughly miserable all the way through. I married the week after my PGCE finished, was separated the year after (violent, nasty piece of work) and had my first baby to husband no 2 at 24, number 2 daughter at 26 and son at 28.

Ah, what a busy life!

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

So, out of interest, do you have a degree(s)?

Yes, BA (Hons) in art, also done my first year of an MA in education, hoping to complete that in the summer of 2014.

If so, what is it/are they? art and education.

Did you enjoy it?

Loved my degree, uni was great fun, I made good friends and grew up a lot! Lived away from home so it was my first taste of independance. I took out a full student loan (two more years and it's paid off) but didn't pay tuition fees as my mum's income was below the threshold. Though I disdn't have much money it didn't matter as none of my friends did either.

My MA is totally different. Started it two years ago as I was able to do 60 credits free through workCompleted those credits. I looked into continuing it, and financing it myself, but then had to stop it as I changed jobs and with my new promotion I needed time to settle into that. Looking to complete the last 120 credits next year, but I'm having to pay this bit myself and it's very expensive! I also work full time so fitting in a part time MA isn't easy. With my BA I wanted to be the best and get the highest result. With my MA I just want to pass!

Was it worth it? Yes - I couldn't do my job (which I love) without my degree. My MA I hope will be worth it as I hope it will help my career. I also wanted to do a MA and further my knowledge and education.

ETA I have a PGCE too. forgot that briefly!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I have a BSc in Psychology and an MSc in Occupational Therapy. I could have qualified as an OT with a BSc, but I hadn't even heard of OT when I was 18, and I wouldn't have heard of it if it wasn't for the placement year I did as part of my psychology degree. That work experience definitely helped me on my OT course, and the knowledge of psychology and experience working in mental health is really useful now. My OH on the other hand studied Politics and now feels that his degree was a waste of time as he just did it for the sake of it. I would definitely encourage my kids not to rush in to going to uni if they really feel they are just going for the sake of it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics