Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah-March-2013
Beginner March 2013

Which do you think would make better favours?

Sarah-March-2013, 22 of July of 2012 at 14:06 Posted on Planning 0 17

My theme is turning out to be a kind of spring garden sort of theme. Lots of flowers, bunting, rustic things.

I have 2 ideas for favours, one I've had for a while and a new idea I've had that I think will be in keeping with the theme.

The first idea was to have photograph coasters for each guest as a favour/seating plan. So instead of guests names there would be a photo coaster of everyone in their seat. Thought it would be a nice personal touch.

The second is jam jars with either various homemade fruit jams, or boiled sweets inside, with nice material over the top.

Which do you think is a better idea? I've just started showing my OH ideas and he said he thinks some of the stuff I've suggested is just "different for the sake of being different", and its knocked the wind out of my sails a bit lol.

17 replies

Latest activity by Lemon Violet, 27 of July of 2012 at 16:24
  • L
    Beginner July 2013
    LouLaBellexx ·
    • Hide content

Hello hun

Ive been thinking loads about my favours recently too and really liked the idea of the picture frame coasters... have you see nany nice ones you can recommend?

My OH wasnt so keen on the idea though and thinks haveing a picture frame is too feminine and men woudnt appreciate it... what do you think? xx

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

I like both ideas and the coasters would be more personal, however they would be more effort as you'd have to find photo's of everyone which depending on how many guests you are having might not be easy. The jars with farbric over the lids would fit in with your theme better I think but then the coasters are lovely- we've got a set at home that my Mum bought us when we first moved in together, she'd put photo's in of us from various stages in our relationship, bless her.

If your OH is being being a bit difficult about your ideas, I'd let him choose if I were in your position, see how he likes having to find all the ideas and make it all perfect.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I would prefer the jars of jam.

Not entirely sure what I'd want with a coaster of my face?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree

• Sarah-March-2013
    Beginner March 2013
    Sarah-March-2013 ·
    • Hide content

Nobody really does much with any favours, I suppose, do they?

I just thought it would be something thoughtful for the guests. I've taken funny photos of most of them from facebook, it will be a bit of fun for the guests and maybe spur a few stories at the table.

Loula I didn't mean a frame though, just a proper coaster that you put your drinks on. You can buy them with photos printed.

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

I do love jam favours at weddings! Bear in mind it´ll be a lot of work though!

I´m not too sure about the coaster thing to be honest. Not sure if I´d want my face on a coaster or if I´d use it afterwards?

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

I think the coasters is a nice idea but as others have said I'm not sure I'd want a coaster with my face on it. Plus some people can be quite picky about photos of themselves.

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of the jams, i would do it so that each couple had different jams or do something like all men get maramalade all women get strawberry jam. its something that they will deffo pick up and take with them at the end of the night

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I would have said seeds in some form. I really wouldn't want a coaster with my face on, hate having my picture taken anyway. Also it would be really hard work, how would you get the pictures of obscure relatives etc.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Jam for me too! I'm not on Facebook so not sure where people would get my face from if I were a guest and don't really do personal stuff for the house other than photos in frames but would love jam for my toast on a morning! Would also like sweets but fudge or similar rather than boiled sweets as they make my teeth ache but that's just me.

• MrsRtoH
    Savvy October 2022 Merseyside
    MrsRtoH ·
    • Hide content

I agree with this. My friends might find it funny but family (mums, aunts and uncles) would hate it.

I'm having a similar theme to you and i think jam is the way to go. I'd be made up with a nice jar of jam! And so would my mum! haha!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a fan of having my picture taken and my OH is worse than me, so I would not be happy, especially if you pinched a pic of FB without checking first, and I wouldn't want the coaster out in my house for everybody to see. They already know what my face looks like. My SIL had some made for her parents of her children which is nice but ones of yourself in your own house might seem a bit narcissistic.

Jam is a lovely idea though and much more fitting with your rustic theme, especially with some checkered material over the top tied with string. Most people love jam of some sort and if you did a few flavours people could always try and swap for one they like lol. Sweeties is also nice, but I would also prefer fudge as I always tend to just chew boiled sweets and it hurts my teef x

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I don't know what your budget is like but I've just seen on not on the highstreet, 'Spred the Love' jam/preserve/chutney jar or 'Love is Sweet' sweetie jar labels, that you can personalise with your names. It's £9 for 18 so don't know if it'll be too expensive with how many guests you have but thought I'd share.

Here's the links

https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/weddinginateacup/product/spread-the-love-jam-favour-stickers

https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/weddinginateacup/product/18-love-is-sweet-favour-stickers x

• vebec19862
    Beginner June 2012
    vebec19862 ·
    • Hide content

Agree with comments about the coaster. I like the jam jars idea but it can be expensive and people are more likely to leave them behind. I would say have a little bag with sweets in. they get eaten on the day and are much less likely to be wasted.

also look on vistaprint if you do decide to go with jars, they often do 'free' deals of stickers

• Sarah-March-2013
    Beginner March 2013
    Sarah-March-2013 ·
    • Hide content

Just to update I have now bought jam jars but my fiance wants to fill them with sweeties instead.

I got 72 jars from ebay for £30 with free delivery so thought that was alrite! Going to fill them with mint humbugs I think, because my gran used to always give me these as a child.

Thanks for your advice everyone!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Jam jars. Would tie in the theme well, and trying to get photos of everyone could be a hassle. Also some people are very finicky with their photo iykwim

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I think jam too as this has universal appeal and works with the garden style

Lynne

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics