Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SingleNoMore
Beginner April 2013

SO in love with my dress...but how to accessorise? **BIG flash**

SingleNoMore, 14 of July of 2012 at 21:19 Posted on Planning 0 41

I went back to the dress shop to try my dress on again and show my bridesmaid.

On the day my hair is going to be half-up, with volume at the back of my head, a small tiara and an elbow length veil. SO, as it's very plain on top, I was thinking about accessorising it with a very sparkly necklace, but another option is to get the seamstress to add beading/diamante/pearl detail to the dress. In the shop I was trying on sashes to get the idea. My helpful BM took photos of the different options! What do you think? (ignore the creases in the middle of the waist, it hasn't been taken in yet so it was pulled in very tight to make it fit.)

The dress as-is, with pearls -

With beading along the top (and i'd wear little drop earrings, not studs) -

with a sparkly necklace -

with pearl detail along the top -

Here's a full-length shot (in the mirror) of the beading along the top -

41 replies

Latest activity by The Little Jewellery Box, 29 of July of 2012 at 23:14
  • Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

I really like the pearls along the top personally Smiley smile beautiful dress

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

It's tricky and none of the options look bad at all- it's a really lovely dress!

I think my eye is drawn to the first picture (as it is with pearl necklace) and the the 5th picture (with pearl detailing).

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I have quite classic taste, some might say boring, I like to think timeless.

Your dress is simply beautiful, I think if you start adding bits you'll ruin it's simple elegance.

I would keep your dress as it is and wear a sparkly/pearl necklace (I like the proportion of the pearl necklace you are wearing here, the glitzy one looks too big to me, especially as you are quite slight). Your hair piece, veil, drop earrings and necklace will be enough. Remember on the day you'll also have fancy hair and a bouquet which also 'add' to your overall look.

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

I love the beading option but then I love my sparkle and bling!

I think you look absolutely lovely in all the photos though, my least favourite would be the big sparkly necklace tbh!

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content

^^^WSS^^^

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Duckybum.... The dress is beautiful, it really suits you. I would accessorise with a pearl necklace and earrings...Sometimes less is definitely more Smiley smile

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

Either the pearl necklace and no dress alteration, or the pearl beading - but generally I agree with Duckybum.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

I would go with either pearl beading or necklace, mainly because I would worry that the sparkly beading might scratch your inner arms (I have a gorgeous sparkly top which does this and leaves little red welts on my skin) beautiful dress!!!

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

I really appreciate your opinions ladies, thanks. I hadn't thought about the diamanté under the arms, but now you mention it, I used to have a top that had beading all along the top and yeah - it was really uncomfortable under my arms. The bridal shop did say that the seamstress can taper out the beading though.

I wear my pearls quite a lot so to me they don't seem special enough, but I do like that look. I definitely see what you mean about that sparkly necklace, I won't be keeping it!

I actually thought the pearl sash was my least favourite look. It just wasn't really me.

I reeeeeeeaaally don't know what to do!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely agree! I love the simple elegance of the dress as it is with the pearl necklace. I really wouldn't add anything to the top.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So do I! Leave the dress alone - accessorise with the big silver necklace a couple of pics from the bottom. Adding that edging to the top turns the dress from beautiful to one that I don't like. Not that what I think matters, but you get my drift.

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I like it with no beading or pearls on the top, just a plain neckline with either a pearl necklace or sparkly one.

All gorgeous though and you look amazing by the way!

• T
    Beginner June 2012
    TheDitzyOne ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

You look gorgeous in all the options but my honest opinion is that the beaded band dates the dress. The dress is beautiful as it is and just needs a necklace rather than a band.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree with DB & the others, don't add anything to the dress. The pearls look great but you say you wear them a lot. My dress is relatively plain too and initially thought I would wear my pearls but I wear them regularly and thought it might look a bit plain and lacking in colour. So, I've gone for a Murano glass heart and matching earrings in purple (our colour). Is this an option you could consider?

I got mine from www.themuranoshop.co.uk and they do several colours but you can get them from other places.

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

I prefer the plain with the necklace detail. Neither really outweighs the other, BOTH are gorgeous!!!

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this.

• LilyGrace
    LilyGrace ·
    • Hide content

Another one that would got for the plain dress with a pretty necklace. The dress is gorgeous

• clarediston
    clarediston ·
    • Hide content

The dress is just gorgeous - I think the best look is the pearls Smiley smile

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for your opinions, they've been incredibly helpful. I think I've actually done a 180 on my favourite. In the shop my favourite was with the diamanté detail on the top of the dress, but actually I think you're all right, I should leave the dress as it is and I really like the pearls. I think the dress is actually more flattering without the detail on the hem, I don't really know why. And since the comment that it looked dated, I now look at it think yeah it looks more old-fashioned! The simple look is very contemporary.

And besides, Alfred Angelo obviously didn't think it needed the extra detail when he made it!

I just need to work out now what pearl necklace to wear. As much as I love the pearls that I have on, I wear them a lot so it just wouldn't be special enough. I'll have to shop around.

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

I like it with pearls along the top x

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I love bling and really thought I would've preferred the sparkle along the top, but I think the plain dress and pearls look amaaaaazing. I know you don't want to wear your pearls but they just fit perfectly with the style of the dress and you x

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

I know I like bling too, I'm normally a huge magpie, but there's just something about the dress with the pearls...!

It sounds crazy, but the thing that bothers me the most about wearing my pearls is that when my OH sees me for the first time, he's gonna think "oh them again" !!!!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Stunning. I love it with the pearls, looks really elegant. Also, if you wear your pearls a lot then they can be your something old!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

No way! I bet he won't even notice they're your usual ones, if he notices you're wearing a necklace at all! You look amazing!

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

No you don't know my OH...! He's very in touch with his feminine side and would definitely notice! I got them from a pearl market in Shanghai so he's very familiar with them!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In that case I agree you could use them as your something old x

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Gorgous dress! Have to ask - is the shop aurora bride in Cheam?

x

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Could you not wear a sash round the middle, rather than at the top if you think it is too plain? Something like this...

Photo removed itself it seems!

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is indeed! Well spotted! You know it then?

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

Like this? (just a google image I don't know this girl!) I don't like it all, I actually think it ruins the dress as it kinda detracts from the ruched detailing of the skirt.

I'm not a big fan of things tied round my middle anyway.

Edit- the photo in your post has only just come up! I see what you mean. That's pretty, and I experimented with sashes just like that in the shop, but between that and on the top, I preferred it along the top, but now I don't think I do!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

no offence to the girl in the pic but not sure that's the best example!

I mieant more like this...

But obviously not if you don't like things round your middle.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics