Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

The Little Jewellery Box

has anyone had their ring specially made?

The Little Jewellery Box, 25 of June of 2012 at 18:24 Posted on Planning 0 15

I recently posted on here after I very sadly lost my gorgeous and obviously sentimental engagment ring :-(

It was insured and they have offered to send a company round to discuss having a ring made. I am considering it but a bit worried about it! The alternative is a voucher for Ernest Jones and H Samuels.

What would you do? Have you ever had a bespoke ring made? I think I know what I would like but am just a bit hesitant....

15 replies

Latest activity by fozzy86, 26 of June of 2012 at 19:38
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Will the insurance company not pay out in cash?!

I had my ER specially made, or rather husband did. He found an idea of what he thought I would love, and took it to a jewellers. Then he picked each stone himself and chose the setting etc.

I love the fact that my ring is a one off. He also got so much more for his money than he would in a high street jeweller.

Not a brilliant photo...

• JustaBitofFluff
    Beginner May 2013
    JustaBitofFluff ·
    • Hide content

I have had jewellery custom made a few times by different jewellers and have been delighted every time. Himself had my engagement ring made too and I could not be happier with it. I have always had things made by independent jewellers and they have listened to what I have wanted (I am fairly specific) and then been able to show me a sketch or picture if i didnt have one of what they think Im looking for and I have been very very pleased with the outcomes.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

My engagement ring was made especially for me and like Kharv's is unique. The stones were taken from my original engagement ring and put into a new setting by an independent jeweller. I love it even more than the original and the quality is really good. These are the before and afters:

This is what it looked like before:

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

My WR was specially made by Smooch to fit around my odd shaped ER. Not got a very clear pic, sorry but I love the fact that they both sit together and are so uniquely shaped nobody will ever have one exactly like it.

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

My enagagement and wedding rings have both been handmade, the service was excellent, I loved being so involved in the process right down to picking each individual diamond, made it feel a bit more special and unique to me as we put so much time into perfecting it together

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

My ER was designed by my OH and then made for me - it was a lovely experience.

We chose the stone (Green Tsavorite Garnet) from several the designer had sourced and then had a cad drawing done while we waited - he suggested an amendment to reduce the price (ie palladium not platinum) He then sent several drawings for us to chose from and we were also offer a plastic model to get a feel for it but decided not to do that in the end.

Its totally unique and exactly what I wanted (sorry its such a big pic!):

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

OH had my ER specially made at a Hatton Garden shop and I love it! I've never seen anything like it in shops - most rings with coloured stones have a single central coloured stone and diamonds either side and I wanted it the other way round. It's very like kharv's only the central diamond is brilliant cut.

OH and I made each other's wedding bands in a special workshop. They're just plain white gold bands, and unfortunately I don't have any good photos of them as my old hard drive died.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

OH got my ER specially made, it's quite similar to Helenia's but all three stones are diamonds. We were so happy with the result we went back to get our wedding rings from the same place. Getting them made is usually much better value than buying from the high street.

My mum lost diamond earrings a few years ago and the insurance company arranged for a jeweller to visit the house to discuss having a replacement pair made. She explained exactly what they looked like and they sent out a new pair within a few weeks.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great minds and all that... ?

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

My ER is a bespoke design - I have to admit, I had a bit of a meltdown when I first saw it, as I didn't like it! Anyway, the designer tweaked it a bit and now I do love it. It is a nerve wracking process though, and if possible I would suggest sourcing some very specific photographs which make it clear exactly what you want.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I had my wedding ring made by a Hatton Garden jeweller Smiley smile I wanted something simple but (and this will sound odd) I wanted to know where the bottom of the ring was, so I would always wear it the same way up. After a bit of discussion, we came up with the plan to put a twist at the top. Then I didn't take much convincing to have a couple of tiny diamonds added Smiley winking

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    coolartist87 ·
    • Hide content

HI there - I actually had my wedding ring hand made by a company in china I can give you the name if you like but the actual ring was made there and i bought the stones seperately and had them set once I recieved the ring itself Smiley smile hope that helps!

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all, I think I'm going to go for it and make an appointment for them to come to our house to discuss it. I've got a few photographs of what I would like and of my original ring. I think I would like something similar made but with tiny diamonds down the sides of the band, with a bit of a vintage look.

Beautiful rings by the way!

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

my daughter had hers made by Smooch wedding rings and recommended them to her sister. Theirs have just been made ready for Sept. and are gorgeous. we would recommend them

Lynne

• F
    Beginner March 2016
    fozzy86 ·
    • Hide content

I work at a jewellers who design bespoke jewellery and I think personally it is the best option. ask the designer is the have a CAD machine,this is a machine that produces a wax model of your ring before you actually get it cast so that you can get to see and try the ring on first. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics