Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jemima Renrut
Beginner October 2013

Past Bridesmaid Dresses keep or not?

Jemima Renrut, 10 of June of 2012 at 22:27 Posted on Planning 0 11

I've got 2 bridesmaids dresses, one from about 3 years ago and one from last year, Ive only ever worn them to be a bridesmaid and thought about having them taken up etc to wear again but its just not guna happen, the older one dont even fit me anymore. Now I'm getting married I'm thinking of ways to make some extra money, what does everyone think to selling them? I'm wondering if its better to ask permision and offer them back first or to just do it and hope they never want to see them again...

I'm not insensitive btw, I'm just not overly sentimental, I dont want to upset either of the past brides...

11 replies

Latest activity by Jemima Renrut, 13 of June of 2012 at 22:17
  • M
    Beginner
    MAG2FMC ·
    • Hide content

I don't think there's a need for you to ask the past brides -- i think most brides realize that bridesmaids dresses will not be worn outside the wedding context again. I think if you bought the dress yourself, it's yours to do with what you want. But, it seems trickier if the dress was purchased for you as a gift, as no one likes to see their gifts "regifted." In that case, I think you could send a short email saying something like, "I was going through my closet the other day and came upon the dress I wore at your wedding. It made me think of how special that day was and how great it was celebrating with you. Unfortunately, now, that dress no longer fits / OR / Unfortunately, I don't foresee another opportunity to wear that dress ... and I'd like to give someone else the opportunity to feel as special as I did in it. Would you be terribly offended if in the future I were offer it to someone else?"

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

Yes they was both girfts... I was unsure about offering the gift back in case of offending, but was scared to just do it for fear of being caught out. I like the way youve worded it though, I'm not very good with words. Think I might give that a go.

Thanks ?

• JuliaTaff
    Beginner May 2013
    JuliaTaff ·
    • Hide content

Hi there - interested to know how you got on, as I'm considering doing the same thing!! :o)

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

You could offer to split the profit from selling them on?

Although strictly speaking as a gift and given the amount of time thats passed I think they are yours to do whatever with.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

When I was a BM who had my dress bought for me, I offered the bride the dress back, she didn't want it and said I could whatever I wanted with it - so I sold it on ebay! I was a very poor student at the time and that money really helped.

• K
    Beginner April 2013
    Kelly G ·
    • Hide content

Personally if its been a while and it was a gift i would just polietly ask if they minded if you sold the dress x

• MrsBtobe1980
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsBtobe1980 ·
    • Hide content

I still have mine from my sisters last year...was going to keep it, but not going to know, but not sure what to do with it to be honest, was altered so wont sell

• D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

*whispers: I put my first (extensively altered but still beautiful) wedding dress in a clothing recycling/charity bank...

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

I'm guna send them both a cheeky text i think offering them some say in it but i expect even if they not fine they wont say it so will hopefully be making some pennies soon. Watch the for sale pages, I've got accessories too ?

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

Update:

3 Year old dress, Bride said "its yours sweetie you can do what you like with it ?"

Going well so far...

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

Aww dont say that! bridesmaid come in all shapes and sizes, i'm going to get some pics and put mine on the for sale part ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics