Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

FaeBelle13
Beginner April 2013

Bizarre dress shopping experience

FaeBelle13, 28 of May of 2012 at 13:19 Posted on Planning 0 21

I went dress shopping the other week and was just thinking about how weird one shop was. Firstly there was a sign up saying that 'all body odour must be removed with baby wipes before trying on a dress' ? I obviously didnt smell that day because no baby wipes were offerd to me.

Then when I went into the dressing room the lady asked if I was wearing make up and because I was, I had to wear a bag over my head to put the dresses on. I would have thought it would be better to step into the dress rather than ask brides to wear a bag? It was made out of that horrible material that dispoable knickers in hospitals are made of. It really helped me visualise what the dress would look like on the day ?

There was no where seperate for my bridesmaids to sit so they watched me stood there in my bra and knickers with a bag over my head which they found hilarious and took a lot of photographic evidence!

Any one else had any weird experiences?

21 replies

Latest activity by Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+, 29 of May of 2012 at 19:45
  • S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

Eww, that sounds like a strange shop alright. Good job I don't need a dress lol

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

That's hilarious! I've definitely never experienced anything like that before, how odd!

• F
    Beginner June 2012
    Future Mrs Chuckles ·
    • Hide content

LOL

• B
    Beginner April 2013
    Bridetobe13 ·
    • Hide content

OMG that is weird?!!! The shop I got my dress in had changing rooms and there was no mention of B.O or make-up. Wonder how that shop is still open I.M.O!!

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Are you having a giraffe??????? I'd have told them I'll spend my hundreds of pounds in a shop where I am not made to feel like a complete tit thank you and left! A bag on your head???????????????????????????? Ha ha ha!! Ridiculous!

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vicloveschocolate ·
    • Hide content

I thought the shop I went to was weird for making me and my mum take our shoes off before entering. Little did I know....

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I think some of them are a tad pretentious. I called one to enquire about accessories. The shop is pretty posh so I had to laugh when she asked me which designer my dress was by (I assume to find out if I could afford to buy their jewellery). And when I arrived at the shop, the owed made a big deal about me wiping my feet on the "grey mat".. It was a lovely sunny, dry day and completely pointless. I just felt as though they wanted to make the shop feel more prestigious than others. I rang another shop before I ordered my dress to make an appointment. I described the style I'd be looking for and my size, explaining that I have recently had a baby and needed to lose some weight and that I am currently breastfeeding so my bust is quite large at the moment and therefore likely to dictate the size I might need. Once I got off the phone she called back asking me to ensure I bring breast pads with me to my appointment!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Can understand them being "cautious" to protect the dresses etc, but that seems a little too extreme...

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Blimey, I'm worried enough about fitting into samples, let alone having a bag put over my head!!

• soontobehismrs
    Beginner May 2014
    soontobehismrs ·
    • Hide content

That is hilarious! A bag on your head!? Crazy! I hope you don't go back there haha!

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Will you be flashing the photographic evidence ? lol

I too had a surreal dress shopping experience ( link), just put it down to one of those wedding planning moments you'll still be laughing about in years to come.

https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/307623.aspx

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

It was really really weird, I didn't really know what to say at the time, I thought it was quite funny tbh, it wasn't until afterwards that I thought about how weird it was! Im just glad this wasn't the first shop id been in, otherwise I might have thought this was completely normal! Certainly wont be going back there, found a much nicer place, no bags required, BO allowed!

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

I was really put off in shops where some of the dresses were covered in make up/fake tan but I wouldn't have been happy if someone put a bag over my head!

• LeedsBride
    Beginner September 2012
    LeedsBride ·
    • Hide content

Lol, this has caused some very funny mental imagery with the 'disposable knicker bag' on the head ?

The first shop I went in, I stepped into the dresses, but the second one they went over my head. I did feel a little silly the second time as it was a shared changing room, and I had to put the shoes on first, so while I was waiting for the lady to put the dress over my head, I was stood in my underwear with just skyscraper peeptoe heels (with socks on!)

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

Sorry Faebelle that just made me giggle! Note to self...... put pampers on the shopping list for my brides to be visiting me at the opening on Saturday!

Some people have a really bizarre idea of running a business.....

• carrollove
    carrollove ·
    • Hide content

Oh sound so weird..but we need to understand them because he need to protect the dresses..

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She really did! It was a terrible appointment anyway, she didnt listen to anything I said and just gave me all the dresses she liked to try on, even if the were the opposite of what I said I like, honestly tried on about 30 (all whilst wearing a bag made out of dispoable pants on my head)

I dont know how to do multiple quotes but have also been there with the shoes (although, I didnt have socks on) and just my undies, such a good look! (add the bag to the equation... ?

• Hide content

I have to say you ladies have given me a wealth of information on how NOT to do business!

Bad customer service has always been a real bug bear of mine and Ive been known to walk away from sales simply because the attitude of the sales assistant. Even when buying stock for the boutique ive refused to buy from certain suppliers because their attitude to me was that my business wasnt particularly significant. They never knew at the outset whether I was spending £500, £5000 or £50,000 but at the end of the day it was really insignificant because their customer service was so poor.

Ive even got some lovely soft cotton waffle dressing gowns for the changing rooms as Ive heard of stores leaving ladies standing in their undies while they go and collect another dress. My knickers are on show to NO ONE and will stay that way lol

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a great idea, more bridal shops should do this.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

This bridal shop isn't in Bishop's Stortford by any chance is it, Faebelle?

• Hide content

Thank you ladies, if it wasnt for your feedback I wouldnt know what to try and put right in the wedding dress experience.

xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics